A8 / S8 (D4 Platform) Discussion Discussion Forum for the D4 Audi A8 Produced from 2010-2017 Audi S8 produced from 2012-2017
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bang & Olufsen vs stock Bose.

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aw9nineteen
I purchase my music from iTunes and play it through my B&O system and I've loved the quality so far. I also get a kick out of when people get in my car and ask what are those things (tweeters) on the dashboard that pop up.

I was unaware that the quality changes from using a CD or AMI. I thought that the lower qualities would be the radio and Bluetooth. So my question is, is it just the music from iTunes, or the iPhone that lowers the quality? If I burn the music I purchased onto a cd, would the quality be better, noticeably better than if I played it through the AMI?
It is the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) of the B&O that makes the difference. Every digital player has its own DAC which could be just okay or very good. Apple's products are just ok in my book, it is consumer grade. You want to feed the B&O DAC with high quality MP3 files or CDs. Unfortunately, the B&O doesnt process WAV or FLAC files but that is another issue.

Yes, if you burn your purchased music onto a CD, the quality will be noticeably better than playing it thorugh your iphone. Itunes only sells 256k music though.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by aw9nineteen
I purchase my music from iTunes and play it through my B&O system and I've loved the quality so far. I also get a kick out of when people get in my car and ask what are those things (tweeters) on the dashboard that pop up.

I was unaware that the quality changes from using a CD or AMI. I thought that the lower qualities would be the radio and Bluetooth. So my question is, is it just the music from iTunes, or the iPhone that lowers the quality? If I burn the music I purchased onto a cd, would the quality be better, noticeably better than if I played it through the AMI?
Since you purchase your music from iTunes, you are getting lossy compression formats like AAC. If you burn these formats to a CD, you will not gain any sound quality. The quality lost during an MP3 conversion can never be regained. That's why it's called a "lossy" format.

If you were to purchase a music CD from the store, and then play that in your system directly, then there would be a noticable inprovement in quality over the same file purchased from iTunes.
Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Drove the S8 with the Bose a few weeks ago

Originally Posted by LouisM27
I have couple of weeks to make any changes to my order S8. One of them was the Bang & Olufsen over the Bose.

Is it worth the $6,300 for the upgrade or the stock radio good enough?

I can also get a nice focal sound system, but that would mean having an third party messing with the car.

PS the Focal system runs around $5,000 with installation

Thank you,
At the Audi driving experience. I was underwhelmed by it. I have an 07 S8 with B&O, which at first I didn't think was so great (had a bose with aftermarket sub-woofer in my 01 S8).....but then I dialed it in and after a weeks I LOVED IT!

You don't have to mess with the car, don't have to have anybody hack into your wiring harnesses, don't have to bring it to the dealer to have fixed what they broke, etc.

Personally, I would most definitely go for it.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulW
At the Audi driving experience. I was underwhelmed by it. I have an 07 S8 with B&O, which at first I didn't think was so great (had a bose with aftermarket sub-woofer in my 01 S8).....but then I dialed it in and after a weeks I LOVED IT!

You don't have to mess with the car, don't have to have anybody hack into your wiring harnesses, don't have to bring it to the dealer to have fixed what they broke, etc.

Personally, I would most definitely go for it.
Totally agreed. Yes, it is $6K, but let me remind you... you are looking at a $100K+ car. If you are really worried about the cost, think of your negotiations as a way to reduce the sting. Either way, the delta between the Bose system and the B&O are the difference between Tube TV and HDTV LED Retina Macbooks.

Don't take it from me... so a search for Bose systems.

Here is one of a dozen threads on this topic:

The Bose Stereo: How I stopped Worrying and learned to live with Crappy Audio
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho...highlight=Bose
Old 10-26-2012, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 711 Likes on 502 Posts

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
Totally agreed. Yes, it is $6K, but let me remind you... you are looking at a $100K+ car. If you are really worried about the cost, think of your negotiations as a way to reduce the sting. Either way, the delta between the Bose system and the B&O are the difference between Tube TV and HDTV LED Retina Macbooks.

LOL...The link you have there focuses on the Bose/B&O comparison for the A6/S6 and A7/S7---Nothing comparing the two in the A8/S8. While the B&O generates improved sound imaging/depth of quality for recorded music above what the Bose system affords (to many folks' ears), the Bose is in fact way better sounding in the A8/S8 cabin versus Audi's lesser models. To say the Bose in the A8 is "crappy" is nonsense IMO, and is blatantly misleading.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I have an A8 with Bose and an S8 with B&O,night and day.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Arguing merits of this that and the other and bitrates solves nothing.

Bottom line: Get what you WANT.

We're all here with brand new D4's.
It's not like we're pinching pennies on "undercoating" or trying to negotiate a packed sale on zero interest at Crazy Larry's down by the exit ramp for crying out loud.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
For what it's worth, I am planning a new car purchase and have been considering the S8, S7 and S6. Since I already have a very nice aftermarket system in my current car, I will not be spending the additional $6000 on the B&O system. (I will transfer most of my existing gear) For $6000 you can purchase some absolutely exquisite aftermarket equipment. I believe the entirety of my current system was about $6000, and I have the following:

Audison BitOne processor
Hertz Mille System MLK2 speakers (front)
Hertz Hi-Energy component speakers (rear)
Audison LRx 4.1k amp
JL Audio 12W6v2 woofer, sealed enclosure
JL Audio HD750/1 amp

That said, my enthusiasm for high quality audio is probably higher than most people. If I was not going to get an aftermerket system, then I am confident the Bose system would not cut it for me.

As for my car choice, I really wanted to get an S8 but after seeing the small trunk space I having second thoughts. For one thing, there isn't even enough room for my golf clubs back there. And if I wanted to add audio equipment, that might reduce the available space even further. I do plan to have a discussion with my car audio installers about the best options for that car. With the trunk totally sealed from the passenger compartment and no passthrough, it might be tricky doing a good subwoofer enclosure there. Might need to consider 8 inch woofers in the cabin somehwere?

The S6 & S7 seem to be easier to deal with in that regard. Particularly the S7, being a hatchback.
Thank you for the info.

Louis
Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GermanGarage

Thank you for the link, much appreciated. I'm going with the B&O

Louis
Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by steinway
Good move! The B&O with the right HD source is phenomenal. Now get the dual pane glass and alcantara headliner to complete your listening pleasure. Also, start loading up HD sources on your SD card or CDs as you would like to use the Digital to Analog Converter (DAC)of the car and not the iPod or iPhone. You can go to HDtracks.com for these files though, which you can use at home as well.
HI Mark,

The Audi S8 comes standard with the dual pane glass and the alcantara headliner. So I 'm lucky that I don't have to spend the extra $$

Thank you again.

Louis.

Quick Reply: Bang & Olufsen vs stock Bose.