S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DSG clutch slip?

Old 05-02-2011, 07:24 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by primetime
I am hoping to get a 19x8.5(23-25 lbs) wheel with a ET of 35 and run a 245x35x19 Conti Extreme DW(21 lbs) assuming the weights are accurate this would net me between 12 - 14 lbs per corner... That will be very noticeable
that will be amazing. Although I bet those DWs in 245 19s are more like 22-23 lbs. Still better than the Dunlops (which are excellent tires...just not great for accelerating)

What BBS wheels are you looking at? Personally I love the look of the CH or CO wheels on Audis. Just sucks that they're not really light. There's a BBS RE that looks like CH, but is way lighter. They weigh 20 lbs in 18" vs. the CH which are 24.5 lbs.

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Swap out the stock rotors for something else, also not very spendy unless you went for the entire BBK, you can save another 5 per front wheel swapping out rotors. Like the wheels, that will remove unsprung and rotating mass.
to be honest, I'd be disappointed with a LW Front rotor that shaved only 5lbs. The JHM LW front rotors for the B6/7 S4 cut 10lbs per side. Incredible. Our stock rotors weighed 26lbs each up front.

Originally Posted by 81bear
Sorry to thread jack but can't let you get away with hiding this mid sentence and not elaborating.
jack: complete!

It's cool, I just wanted to clear up what I saw in that video. Now that primetime has said he doesn't feel like it's a slip, on with the discussion on getting him faster!
Old 05-02-2011, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It slips on the 2->3 shift under heavy throttle. It's the most reasonable explanation for the behavior that you can clearly see in the APR video and which I've seen on my own car.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Wizard
It slips on the 2->3 shift under heavy throttle. It's the most reasonable explanation for the behavior that you can clearly see in the APR video and which I've seen on my own car.
No it doesn't... The only delay is in 1st gear at about 4000 RPM's... the car launches hits 4K hesitates a tenth or so and then shifts at redline everytime w/o delay... I am not seeing/feeling the slip so to say...
Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sakimano
that will be amazing. Although I bet those DWs in 245 19s are more like 22-23 lbs. Still better than the Dunlops (which are excellent tires...just not great for accelerating)

What BBS wheels are you looking at? Personally I love the look of the CH or CO wheels on Audis. Just sucks that they're not really light. There's a BBS RE that looks like CH, but is way lighter. They weigh 20 lbs in 18" vs. the CH which are 24.5 lbs.

It's cool, I just wanted to clear up what I saw in that video. Now that primetime has said he doesn't feel like it's a slip, on with the discussion on getting him faster!
I am looking at the BBS CHR and CXR but thanks to Lou I think I found what I want... I need to read a little more on them but at this point I am leaning towards TSW Nurburings in the gunmetal with mirror face 19x8.5 ET 32 and running the conti extreme DW's... Quoted numbers are 21.4 lbs for the wheel and 21 lbs for the tire, but I agree they may be slightly more, but if not 42-43 lbs will be pretty nice! Thoughts? Ever heard good/bad on TSW's? I know they aren't the most expensive...

No problem on the clutch slip questions I appreciate everyones input... I just want to figure out why my trap is down...

https://www.wheelstudio.com/shopping-cart
Old 05-02-2011, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Swap out the stock rotors for something else, also not very spendy unless you went for the entire BBK, you can save another 5 per front wheel swapping out rotors. Like the wheels, that will remove unsprung and rotating mass.
In due time... one step at a time so to say...
Old 05-02-2011, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by primetime
No it doesn't... The only delay is in 1st gear at about 4000 RPM's... the car launches hits 4K hesitates a tenth or so and then shifts at redline everytime w/o delay... I am not seeing/feeling the slip so to say...
Maybe your car doesn't do it. Your car seems exceptional in many ways. Nevertheless, watch the APR video. On the 2->3 shift, you can clearly see the RPMs drop to a certain point, hold steady for an instant, then drop a few hundred more as the clutch finally grabs. I guess there are other explanations, but this strikes me as the most likely.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sakimano
to be honest, I'd be disappointed with a LW Front rotor that shaved only 5lbs. The JHM LW front rotors for the B6/7 S4 cut 10lbs per side. Incredible. Our stock rotors weighed 26lbs each up front.
If my stockers weighed 26 I would be sad about 5lbs too, but ours weight 23, so that's not so bad a savings. These are not engineered to be LW rotors, only BBK rotors, if he stayed with stock size it would likely be more than 5lbs, I went from stock 245 to BBK 255's and lost 5 lbs while gaining mass. Calipers lost me another 5 lbs with the pads on (larger pads/surface area), so 5 lbs rotational and another 5 lbs unsprung.

Old 05-03-2011, 07:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If my stockers weighed 26 I would be sad about 5lbs too, but ours weight 23, so that's not so bad a savings. These are not engineered to be LW rotors, only BBK rotors, if he stayed with stock size it would likely be more than 5lbs, I went from stock 245 to BBK 255's and lost 5 lbs while gaining mass. Calipers lost me another 5 lbs with the pads on (larger pads/surface area), so 5 lbs rotational and another 5 lbs unsprung.
Well, again...to get a lightweight rotor for your stock setup, 5 lbs would be a disappointment. Going bbk and saving 5 lbs is nice, but now you're talking an easy $2000+. LW rotors in stock size will be a great part for you guys on stock front setup because:

1. you need rotors eventually anyway, so it's not much of an added expense
2. you'll save quite a bit more than 5 lbs rotating mass

Saving some unsprung weight on a front BBK with al calipers is pretty much negligible performance wise. It's all about the rotational weight. For example, go pull your 40lb spare (sprung) and race someone. Then put it back in. You'll barely notice a difference. Saving 10 lbs of unsprung with a BBK will be even less of an impact. The rotating weight savings is amazing. My

What do B8 S4 calipers weigh (stock)?

Last edited by sakimano; 05-03-2011 at 07:08 AM.