S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Transmission Services through Jiffy Lube/others?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 11:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Services through Jiffy Lube/others?

I need to replace the ATF and filter at minimum in my S4. Problem is that I am not very excited, in fact not excited at all, to do this.. filling the fluid, warming, cooling, filling more, warming, cooling, etc etc does not sound like fun.

Has anyone ever taken their car to Jiffy Lube, Grease Monkey or any other of those quick service places for transmission/differential services? I was thinking of a fluid exchange and filter replacement as well as possibly the differentials. My concerns would be subpar fluid and/or filter or workmanship. I like to use high quality fluid whenever possible.

Thoughts, personal experiences, criticism??
Old 02-17-2011, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

I suspect they'd decline the job. Not only will they not have the fluid, the will not have the procedure or device for monitoring the fluid temp.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I know for a fact that Jiffy Lube offers these services. I wouldn't doubt if they don't have exceptional fluid, but manufacturer standards very likely so.

Taken from Jiffy Lube's site..

The Automatic Transmission Fluid Exchange & Filter Replacement service includes:
changing the fluid in the transmission system, including the torque converter and transmission cooler
removing the transmission pan
removing the old transmission filter and replacing it with a new transmission filter
removing the old gasket material
replacing the pan gasket with a new gasket and reinstalling the pan
refilling the transmission with new automatic transmission fluid to the proper level
Old 02-18-2011, 02:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Do you know what trans fluid is required in your car?
Old 02-18-2011, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B5_S4-...mission/Fluid/

I dont usually pay attention to stuff like Dextron #s, Mercon #s, or any of those ATF standards, just look at what people in the know are using..
Old 02-18-2011, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That fluid looks like Pentosin, who is OES for VW/Audi for many of the chems used in these cars. I doubt very much that one of the American auto trans fluids will be suitable.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by malinowskiski
My concerns would be subpar fluid and/or filter or workmanship. I like to use high quality fluid whenever possible.
Agree with your concerns ^^^^ x2. Call around local indie shops that have experience doing audi transmission service, and use OES fluid (Pentosin) as suggested.

I had dealer do my Tiptronic service and it cost about $600, but I'm doing it next time with VAG-COM and OES (OEM) parts/fluids.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I would stay away from Jiffy Lube at all costs!! I know several people who have had work done at these places and transmissions blew up around the block because of shotty work. When I worked at Subaru we had countless cars coming in with transmission problems due to Jiffy lube. The best one was a Automatic Forester with a tranny fluid leak, turns out it was because Jiffy lube tried taking the trans filter off with a wrench when the filter says "DO NOT REMOVE" in big black letters. And instead of fixing it, they left the filter on with holes poked in it from the wrench they used, causing a huge leak.
I would say do it yourself or take it to a dealer or reputable shop. Save yourself the headache of suing Jiffy Lube.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmmmm now I am really stuck. I had it in my mind to try them out probably this or the next week, but now im once again unsure. Its ridiculous how difficult it is to have quality, honest service for any car..
Old 02-22-2011, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by malinowskiski
Hmmmm now I am really stuck. I had it in my mind to try them out probably this or the next week, but now im once again unsure.
Audi tiptronic transmission service is beyond the scope of what Jiffy Lube can do or should do. DIY, or call local Audi/VW indies, or bite the bullet and have the dealer do it ($), plain and simple.

Quick Reply: Transmission Services through Jiffy Lube/others?