MA State Inspection - AIRBAG

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MA State Inspection - AIRBAG

Well I'm pissed.

I went to get my new inspection sticker as the old expired yesterday. Same shop I've been getting stickers since I bought the car two years ago. My airbag light lit-up about a month after I bought the car. So nothing new...passed fine last year- same shop.

I posted in a thread not too long ago saying I had heard they were cracking down and cars won't pass this year with the light on.

Only rumor I heard, but now confirmed by myself. FYI.

I think I can get an older and better "K" module from JH Motorsports, Inc. The newer modules are "G" boxes and "K" superceeds to "G", but all the "G"s are failing. JHM offers "K" boxes for $150. New "G" boxes are $600!

If interested:

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=268860

They also failed me for exhaust leak. I installed my new ASP system since the last inspection and because it was used and the pipe connections B/T the end section and the previous section was a little mangled, I had trouble getting a good seal.

I didn't use any goo, but double clamped it and all seemed fine. However there is a tiny, tiny leak at the joint. Now I have to separate the sections and re-seal the joint. Picky mother****ers!

The last "failure" was my readiness code. Could not test emissions as the readiness was not set. All 0's. This I don't understand as I have VAGCOM and I usually see the readiness code.

I don't recall disconnecting the battery lately and I just drove down to Waterfest and back. Should be plenty of driving to set readiness.

So...I have to replace my airbag control module, reseal my exhaust, and set my readiness.

If I can't set readiness, I may just swap back in my original un-chipped ECU for the inspection, then switch back to the MTM unit.

I hate the MA state inspections and hope all the officials who run it die a slow horrible death.

END/RANT
Old 08-02-2009, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audikidS4

I hate the MA state inspections and hope all the officials who run it die a slow horrible death.

END/RANT
State inspections are there to ensure the safety of you and other drivers on the road (not to mention the air we all have to breath.) Don't blame them for enforcing the rules we all have to play by.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Thread jack:

Ok, my 07 A6 just got the Airbag light lid up. Anyone able to help me with the VAG? It's really kinda annoy me.....
Old 08-02-2009, 02:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

^^^I got VAGCOM but don't know if your close.
Old 08-02-2009, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by krolls
State inspections are there to ensure the safety of you and other drivers on the road (not to mention the air we all have to breath.) Don't blame them for enforcing the rules we all have to play by.
Yea it's all about safety...that's why you see all the rust buckets on the road with stickers and mufflers dragging.

They will give me a sticker on my 87 RX7 turbo which has none of these ABS or AIRBAG systems and declare it "safe", but my Audi, a much more capable car, gets a "fail" because of some idiot light.

The "inspection" system is just a scam to enrich the State and the Auto Repair Industry...
Old 08-02-2009, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audikidS4
Yea it's all about safety...that's why you see all the rust buckets on the road with stickers and mufflers dragging.

They will give me a sticker on my 87 RX7 turbo which has none of these ABS or AIRBAG systems and declare it "safe", but my Audi, a much more capable car, gets a "fail" because of some idiot light.

The "inspection" system is just a scam to enrich the State and the Auto Repair Industry...
Yeah dude the state of MA & inspectors are conspiring against your S4

Don't blame people for doing their jobs. I wish inspections were more stringent- we would not have so many unsafe cars on the road.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

^^^That's truly funny ****. I agree with you in principal, but if they were any more stringent, we'd all would have to drive brand new cars. I already admitted I was ranting. I like the new more stringent rules too...
Old 08-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Stop crying pull cluster and than airbag bulb, they are not checking codes it’s a new law if abs or airbag light is on safety reject. and btw all airbag components have expiration date, if we really need to be safe every 10 year old car will need all new bags igniters etc. LOL
Old 08-03-2009, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by janka
Stop crying pull cluster and than airbag bulb, they are not checking codes it’s a new law if abs or airbag light is on safety reject. and btw all airbag components have expiration date, if we really need to be safe every 10 year old car will need all new bags igniters etc. LOL
That's what I'm ranting about...the total randomness of it all. AIRBAG is instant fail, but guess what if your ABS system has failed, you're totally COOL!

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/inspection.htm#3

I don't know about you, but if some guy in a car is about to take me out, I would rather know his ABS works than his frickin' AIRBAGS!

But...which one do you think will be more expensive to repair? Cha-Ching...
Old 08-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

air bag fo shore, abs usually on older cars are easy and not expensive to repair, of curse if you know what you doing

Quick Reply: MA State Inspection - AIRBAG