A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Could this be the original timing belt??

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could this be the original timing belt??

I have a 2004 A6 with 130k miles. I just bought it private party. The people I bought it from owned it from 2008 when it had about 80k miles. They told me the previous owned had changed the timing belt. The day after , I researched the service records using mycarfax, calling previous dealers who had serviced the car and the service paperwork in the car. No indication of TB change. So I parked the car and then took it in for Timing Belt service (including Drive belt, water pump, tensioner, pulleys and thermostat). I got the replaced parts back. The pulleys were coated in rust (but still turned). I checked the TB. It's a Dayco with Audi/VW markings, made in spain. The mfg code starts with 328... Does this mean it could be the original? Does '3' mean 2003? The belt "looked" okay. No cracks, but felt a bit stiff and hard. Any thoughts? Did I dodge a major bullet on this one? It's a great car otherwise.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Regardless if the belt was changed at 80k, it was going to need it again anyways. the belt itself is not the weak point, its those pulleys coated in rust that usually fail.

as for dodging a bullet.... i dont know what car you have, auto manual? bi-turbo? lots of things that can go wrong post 120K, just depends on mantainence
Old 05-31-2013, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It's a 2.7l BiTurbo automatic. The rest of the maintenance records seem up to date. It was the Timing Belt maintenance that may have been overlooked/neglected. I'm just wondering if someone lied about TB change in the past, therefore the question about the mfg code on the belt.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryDWA6
I have a 2004 A6 with 130k miles. I just bought it private party. The people I bought it from owned it from 2008 when it had about 80k miles. They told me the previous owned had changed the timing belt. The day after , I researched the service records using mycarfax, calling previous dealers who had serviced the car and the service paperwork in the car. No indication of TB change. So I parked the car and then took it in for Timing Belt service (including Drive belt, water pump, tensioner, pulleys and thermostat). I got the replaced parts back. The pulleys were coated in rust (but still turned). I checked the TB. It's a Dayco with Audi/VW markings, made in spain. The mfg code starts with 328... Does this mean it could be the original? Does '3' mean 2003? The belt "looked" okay. No cracks, but felt a bit stiff and hard. Any thoughts? Did I dodge a major bullet on this one? It's a great car otherwise.
Of course it 'could' be. However, the point is moot.
Old 06-01-2013, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

yeah pointless discusion. i think your energy would be better spent trying to head off the next bullet
Old 06-03-2013, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much for the great help and insight! Not.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

What exactly were you looking for?
Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

You're welcome. Even if all you learn is that there is nothing to be learned, you've learned something.
Quit wasting time.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 59 Likes on 58 Posts

hmmm i think he is offended . well at least he is off wondering if the oil he changed on his last oil change was really bad enough to change ...
Old 06-03-2013, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Airbag
hmmm i think he is offended . well at least he is off wondering if the oil he changed on his last oil change was really bad enough to change ...
nah, he's not going to change that oil until he hits 250,000 and then wonder if he lied to himself. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Could this be the original timing belt??