RS4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi RS4

Got the FUNK

Old 01-01-2014, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Got the FUNK

Here's the FUNK switch installed but not functional yet. Since it's a momentary switch, I had to order a latch circuit. I'm very happy to rid the car of that idiotic PASSENGER AIR BAG light.

Once the latch circuit shows up, the FUNK switch will open the exhaust flaps accompanied by a green LED on the switch. Unlike the SPORT button exhaust flap function, the FUNK switch opens the flaps at all times (the SPORT button doesn't open the flaps off-idle in gears 1, 2, and 3). Additionally, that hyper-active throttle remap that we get with the SPORT button won't be active. I think the car is easier to shift this way.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to look into doing this. I just picked up my RS4 in Nov so I am still learning about mods for the car. I had planned on just bypassing the valves by disconnecting the vacuum lines. Is there any real benefit to going your route besides being able to make the car more quiet when wanted?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by TroyM
I need to look into doing this. I just picked up my RS4 in Nov so I am still learning about mods for the car. I had planned on just bypassing the valves by disconnecting the vacuum lines. Is there any real benefit to going your route besides being able to make the car more quiet when wanted?
The most important thing of course is that it makes the car quiet when you want it quiet. Like on a long freeway trip for example. But it also eliminates that stupid PASSENGER AIR BAG light and replaces it with a button that just begs for an explanation, which opens the door to boundless BS-ing fun
Old 01-02-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
The most important thing of course is that it makes the car quiet when you want it quiet. Like on a long freeway trip for example. But it also eliminates that stupid PASSENGER AIR BAG light and replaces it with a button that just begs for an explanation, which opens the door to boundless BS-ing fun
Got it, thanks
Old 01-17-2014, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wrap up

Finally all the parts arrived and the project is done. Since the FUNK switch is a momentary type of switch, a latching relay is needed. I like latching relays, they remember their state. Something the Sport button always needed IMO. Also, we don't want any Check Engine Lights as a result of controlling the factory flap solenoid, so instead I installed a dedicated vacuum solenoid valve in the vacuum line between the exhaust valves and the factory solenoid. A single wire supplying the +12V for the solenoid is run from the latching relay to the trunk. To route the wire, I stuffed it under the plastic door thresholds and didn't have to disassemble anything, other than pulling out the rear seat which of course pulls straight up.

Parts:

- FUNK switch from OEMPlus $39
- 12V latching relay (DEI 611T) eBay $14
- 12V 3-port vacuum solenoid eBay $22.50
- 12" of black rubber vacuum hose
- 2 female spade wire terminals
- 2 loop-type wire terminals (for grounding wire)
- 1 fuse piggy-back terminal for switched +12V
- insulated wire, 20 feet (or so)

Tools:

Audi Radio removal tools, msc. wire strippers, tape, solder, etc., utility knife to trim the switch, 10mm and 8mm sockets for the trunk area, and a Torx driver to remove the left two chrome tie down loops. Buy a solenoid with a bracket so you won't have to drill, just mount it using one of the hold down bolts for the factory solenoid. The (-12V) ground for the solenoid is provided at one of the hold down bolts for the factory solenoid bracket.

Pretty fun little switch. The green light turns on when the switch is active. The Sport button works like it always did but the FUNK switch will over-ride the Sport button's control of the exhaust valves.
Attached Images  

Last edited by ELEVENS; 01-19-2014 at 06:07 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 04:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very nice!

I decided to test out having the valves always open. I like it! It gives me the additional sweet exhaust sound without the non-linear throttle (which annoys me).

Once I figure out how to attach the seat belt button cover to the funk switch, I'll attempt to duplicate your set-up!
Old 01-21-2014, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Datadatum
Very nice!

I decided to test out having the valves always open. I like it! It gives me the additional sweet exhaust sound without the non-linear throttle (which annoys me).

Once I figure out how to attach the seat belt button cover to the funk switch, I'll attempt to duplicate your set-up!
Sneaky! I like the valves open most of the time too, except on the freeway and when the cops are around
Old 01-21-2014, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ELEVENS
Sneaky! I like the valves open most of the time too, except on the freeway and when the cops are around
It is only sneaky if I can get it to work. LOL

I need to buy an additional Seat Belt Button cover to modify for the project. Any recommended sources (junk yards) for this part?
Old 01-31-2014, 04:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 2 week update

It's so nice to turn up the volume without that silly throttle remap that we get when we push the Sport button. The usefulness is that it stays in whatever state it was in when the cart was last used. In other words, you don't have to push the button every time the car is started - it remains in whatever position it was last in at key off. In fact, my use of the button is opposite of the Sport button: the Sport button is to turn up the volume - on every startup. The FUNK button is used to turn down the volume, only when needed.

I'm happy to report that the Sport button hasn't been used in my car since the FUNK switch went in. Control is good but full control is better
Old 02-02-2014, 03:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Here's the electrical wiring pinouts

FUNK SWITCH TO CONTROL EXHAUST FLAPS 12/2013

FUNK BUTTON switch w/ chrome accent lno. 8E0-035-775-D with 4D0-971-636-B harness:

1 - Dimmable Red LED for night-lighting, splice into ESP button wire
2 - Green LED - connect to #6 (output)
3 - Chassis Ground
4 - Input (switched +12V)
5 - not used
6 - Output - Connect to Brown wire of 611T relay

DEI 611T Active 5A Latching Relay. Early production type with 4 wires instead of 6. 4 is all we need and they're cheaper:

Black - Chassis Ground (-12V) for coil
Red - Switched +12V
Brown - Connect to FUNK #6 Output
Yellow - Connect to one side of the vacuum solenoid coil. Run a single insulated wire along and under the door thresholds, under the rear seat, and into the left trunk area.

Vacuum Solenoid - 12V, 3-port pinout:

One pin to Chassis ground
One pin connects to 611T Yellow wire

Vacuum Solenoid vacuum connections:

Cut the vacuum line between the RS4 solenoid and the flaps
Connect to one side of cut vacuum line to the Normally closed port
Connect the other side if cut vacuum line to the Input port of the vacuum solenoid
There is no connection to the Normally Open port. It's function is to vent vacuum to atmosphere.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got the FUNK