A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just did headrest upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default pics of headrest upgrade

Whenever I ride or spend time in the rear seat of my A8 I have always been annoyed by the headrest. When one leans back to relax, one's head falls uncomfortably into the large space between the seatback and the head rest.

I tried solving the problem by removing the headrests (rearseat must be removed for the R&R) and modifying the posts so that the headrest will adjust all the way down to the top of the seat (and be removeable ,see photos (1 & 2)). Still could not lay my head back and be comfortable due to the shape/position/angle of the headrest.

Then I noticed the link in the signature of MP4.2+6.0 where in he shows a photo of his car with headrests from an 06 A6 installed. Those A6 headrests looked like they would be just the right size/shape for lying back and relaxing.

So I bought a pair in Amaretto and just finished installing them (photo 3)...ergonomic perfection ! They certainly will provide better protection in case of a collision, and I think they have a better, more integrated look, than the 04-06 A8 headrests. Great idea, MP4.2+6.0; now I can ride/lounge/entertain/work in comfort! Plus, as an added bonus, when I do have to drive, the visibility out the back window is MUCH improved.
Attached Images    

Last edited by awdinut; 04-10-2013 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait...you let someone else drive your car?

Nice upgrade..where did you source the headrests...? Costs?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Well...

Originally Posted by CobraCommander
Wait...you let someone else drive your car?

Nice upgrade..where did you source the headrests...? Costs?
to tell the truth I hate driving; any car. If I ever win the lottery the first thing I'll do the next day is hire a full- time chauffeur.

As to a source go to car-part.com , its a one stop junkyard. Put in Audi A6 back seat 2006 to 2009. The catch is that no yard will sell just the headrests so you have to buy the seat also. And finding one will be a lot easier if you have something other than an Amaretto interior. And you will have a larger price range to choose from.

Anyway, tell them to throw the seat away and ship only the headrests...youll save a few bucks that way. In fact a lot of yards will not ship seats, so be sure to tell them you will only need the headrests shipped, otherwise many yards wont sell seats out of town.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by awdinut
to tell the truth I hate driving; any car. If I ever win the lottery the first thing I'll do the next day is hire a full- time chauffeur.
What the hell, never heard about a car enthusiast of any kind, hating to drive a car.

One of the first toughts with the pre 2007 D3 A8 was the headrests. They look exact like a 10 year older audi's headrests.

While coming from the volvo world, where the headrests are an crucial part of safety, especially when it comes to rear collisions, i've been disappointed with them. Especially when comparing to S/V class volvos of 1997->, my S90 Executive to make an example. The S90 headrests are in comfortability on a whole other level than the bulky audi headrests. Even headrests in my 340 volvo from 1985 are much better safety and comfort wise than the over 20year newer A8.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't understand the not liking to drive thing...heck thats why I buy my cars...just so "I" drive them! Either way the upgrade looks good!
Old 04-05-2013, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rear seat headrests - A6 C6

I have ONE headrest from an A6 C6 in tan. Bought it 3 months ago, in perfect condition.

I was going to find a second to install these in our 07 A8 - where we never use the back seats, and the VERY large rear headrests block too much vision. THEN, I found a matched pair - but they would only sell both, so I bought them.

My single is for sale - $75 including shipping to lower/eastern 48 states. Send me an e-mail direct if you'd like pictures. Direct e-mail is: kittyandgary'at'verizon.net (replace 'at' with @ )

Gary Knox