A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi A8 Transmission Service

Old 07-22-2011, 11:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi A8 Transmission Service

I took my Audi in to get the tranny filter and fluid changed because it was slipping at times.

I explicitly said I wanted the filter changed along with the fluid, and what did the guy do just a drain and fill. When I asked him if he did the filter when I went to go pick up the car he said no, it has no filter, only a screen and there is no need to replace it.

Well I know this is not true and even though he did not change the filter the fluid change did help. Does it seem like I should go back and have him do the filter because he messed up? Or just leave it alone? It was expensive enough for what he did do.

Any input would be appreciated.
Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

NUMBER ONE: Do NOT return to that same shop for ANY reason (except to throw eggs at it)....the guy is a moron and the shop owner is a moron for employing him. They are NOT qualified to put air in your tires.
The fact that the trans works at all indicates that they "might" have gotten the level correct...an involved and precise process. Myself? ...I'd be worried about that place getting ANYTHING right.

YES, I would still be very concerned about changing the filter...if you don't do the work yourself, I'd be searching for a real mechanic willing to change the filter and pump the old fluid back in. That's me. There may also be some wisdom in leaving it alone if you really believe that it's working perfectly now.

The filter change can be done by any decent mechanic with proper tools...the filter is held by 2 screws and and an o-ring...the pan removal and filling is a bit more involved.

The procedure is, of course, in the Bentley manual and available online, in detail:

Here:
http://www.audipages.com/Tech_Articl...servicing.html

Page 4 here:
http://www.zf.com/na/content/media/u...ars/5HP24A.pdf
Old 07-23-2011, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

To have transmission services is to make sure your transmission will be dead... Haven't heard any good stories about transmission services, mostly kill the transmission faster because NONE of these procedures were carried out correctly, why? Because they shouldn't exist.

When people say changing transmission oil will cure the slipping, hunting is the same as dirty air cleaner, fuel filter cause the car NOT to start or run rough.

Yes, it's better the kill the car than to run with slipping trannie and the best way is to do these services. If you don't know how to diagnose the correct problem, the best is to leave it alone.

BTW, never had air cleaner or fuel filter caused trouble for my cars ever and I never changed them.

My 2 cents always.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-24-2011, 07:00 PM
Old Audi Owner

?
Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
To have transmission services is to make sure your transmission will be dead... Haven't heard any good stories about transmission services, mostly kill the transmission faster because NONE of these procedures were carried out correctly, why? Because they shouldn't exist.

When people say changing transmission oil will cure the slipping, hunting is the same as dirty air cleaner, fuel filter cause the car NOT to start or run rough.

Yes, it's better the kill the car than to run with slipping trannie and the best way is to do these services. If you don't know how to diagnose the correct problem, the best is to leave it alone.

BTW, never had air cleaner or fuel filter caused trouble for my cars ever and I never changed them.

My 2 cents always.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yea thats obviously not true. where is your reasoning behind that? Getting new fluid and a new filter free of metal shavings and other contaminents is proven a good idea. No fluid is lifetime it breaks down over time and needs to be replaced as does the filter.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ZF Service.. YOU BET!!

IMO, it's positive to service every 30K and don't forget the filter.
Fluid is cheap... ZF transmissions are a different story
Also; PLEASE Have the service done by someone that knows
what they are doing as, it is an involved procedure.

I use AmsOil TORQUE DRIVE (ALLISON ATF GRADE) To firm up shifting.
AmsOils' racing grade ATF shifts too hard for my taste.

If the ZF has not had service of any length of time, this will be costly
due to needing to repeat the service to get the transmission cleaned up.

Ams Oil does have a preferred customer plan if you purchase 2 cases of product.
BTW, I am NOT in any way connected to AmsOil other than being a happy customer.
Old 08-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not that I have anything useful to comment, but this is that the fluid that was taken out of my tranny used to look like vs. the new one
Attached Images