Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Buying a new S5

Old 11-08-2013, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying a new S5

Hello All

I'm new here and also new to audi world.

I'm pretty sure to buy a S5 coupe in the next weeks, once I get rid of my actual car.

Dreaming about my new S5 some questions arised and I hope you can give me some advice. Probably it will be black (or misano red), with black interiors, sports diff and 19" wheels, as well as b&o sound system.

1. I'm not sure about the navigation package, pretty expensive. So I wonder, would it be possible to add later, if needed/wanted (for example when selling)?
2. With drive select I can change the cars behavior, but what if the car doesn't have drive select, what will be the standard?
3. Same question for the dynamic steering, if this option is not bought, what will be the standard steering behavior of the S5 equal to?
4. Is it right the S5 max. speed is blocked to 150 mph?
5. Since I just moved to the US (Pittsburgh) from Europe, I'm also wondering how audi dealers are here. Is it possible to get discounts on new cars if paying cash?
6. Do audi dealers also order any cars for customers or do they only sell from the actual inventory they have?

Thank you very much for the help!

Take care!
Riccardo
Old 11-08-2013, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I won't bother repeating the answer that I gave here: http://www.a5oc.com/forums/s5-genera...i-buy-new.html
Old 11-08-2013, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Answers:

1. Navigation package: if you suspect you will want it, get it now. I have heard of people adding it later, but it will be complex and expensive.
2. Drive select: I think this is a stupid option, pass.
3. Dynamic steering: pass.
4. S5 max. speed is blocked to 150 mph: Not sure, but usually an aftermarket chip can remove this.
5. Discounts on new cars if paying cash? Dealer gets their money from you in cash or from your bank in cash. They don't care otherwise. I have a 4 page article I wrote on car buying advice, email me if you want a copy.
6. Do audi dealers also order any cars? Yes, I ordered mine, got it in 2 months. Better than buying what was on the lot with options and colors I didn't want.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you for the replies guys!

I will skip drive select and dynamic steering package, but what I was wondering, is how the settings will be in a S5 without these options.
Would they be comparable to sport setting in a car with drive select?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I think the default is Sport.

The ADS allows for softer tuning on rough roads, and the non ADS cars are "sport" all the time. I think....
Old 11-08-2013, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by theswiss
Thank you for the replies guys!

I will skip drive select and dynamic steering package, but what I was wondering, is how the settings will be in a S5 without these options.
Would they be comparable to sport setting in a car with drive select?
First off, dynamic steering is a great feature and often misunderstood. It's a different steering rack. The standard steering rack just changes steering torque with speed. The dynamic steering rack also changes steering ratio. At slow speeds the steering is more direct and at faster speeds, the steering is more indirect for better straight line stability. With drive select in dynamic, the steering ratio is locked for predictable steering around the track or your favorite twisties. The standard steering rack has a fixed ratio, which is a compromise between ease of maneuvering at slow speeds and straight line stability at high speeds. Audi's explanation here: http://www.audi.com/com/brand/en/too...g.browser.html

As for cars w/o drive select, they are comparable to drive select in Auto. Basically the car's dynamics will adjust to how you drive. Drive select is great, because you can force it to stay in Comfort or Dynamic. Auto can be unpredictable.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Also, if you get the navigation package, then drive select gets a fourth mode called Individual where you can independently set each component how you prefer. Maybe you prefer steering in comfort, but the sport differential in auto.

I most of the time drive in Individual mode with the following settings for daily driving:

Dynamic steering: Auto
Engine/Transmission: Auto
Sport Differential: Dynamic
Adaptive Cruise: Comfort

I prefer it this way, because the sport diff in Auto can produce unpredictable handling if all of a sudden you change from comfortable driving to more spirited driving. With the sport diff in Dynamic at all times, the car just feels better in every situation. I rarely use the default Auto mode. I do use Comfort, Dynamic and the above settings for Individual. I don't like the default Auto mode and would be disappointed if I didn't have the ability to change the dynamics to how I want to drive at the moment.
Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I believe...I could be wrong, but Drive Select is now standard on the '14 S5 Premium Plus. As well as Advanced Key. Here is a breakdown of '13/'14.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/audi/20...-ar157948.html
Old 11-08-2013, 02:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

What is the significance, if any, the top speed being limited to 150 or 157?