A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

2005 a6 3.2L timing walk-thru needed!

Old 04-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 a6 3.2L timing walk-thru needed!

So my tensioner failed on the passenger side and bent all the valves. Just got my final parts back from the machine shop and now time to put her back together. Only problem is I cannot find a diagram or walk-thru on setting the camshafts with the pistons and getting the timing right. I had to rotate the pistons after I removed the heads so I know everything is thrown off and need to realign everything before putting the timing chains back on. PLZ HELP!!!!!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:57 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Bentley is pretty clear on this and it does not seem complicated. Pin the crank, install the locking tools on the cams, pretension the chains to remove slack, and tighten down the adjusters.

I'm doing the same job right now, but your damage must be worse than mine. I just replaced six intake valves, no machine work. I'm also doing the cam chain tensioners on both sided and all the guides for the lower chains (151k miles, so this seems like an opportunity).

Good luck!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:59 AM
Tech Guru

Odd. I had typed up a full response, but this crappy format choked on it. I'm trying again, but not typing the whole thing again.

Cliff notes version is follow Bentley and use the tools.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Bentley is pretty clear on this and it does not seem complicated. Pin the crank, install the locking tools on the cams, pretension the chains to remove slack, and tighten down the adjusters.

I'm doing the same job right now, but your damage must be worse than mine. I just replaced six intake valves, no machine work. I'm also doing the cam chain tensioners on both sided and all the guides for the lower chains (151k miles, so this seems like an opportunity).

Good luck!
Yea have the tools. No bently. I got a valve job on the heads since they were off but I had to replace the whole passenger head assembly cause it had 10 bent valves and the intake camshaft was knocked pretty bad. I got the heads torqued and rockers in. I'm trying to get the cams back in with the sprocket and head of the camshaft still attached but the chain is so tight not much room. Even with the tensioner collapsed. I'm trying to avoid taking the heads of the camshafts off but dunno if it's possible. Lol
Also replaced the top tensioners. And the guides on the block. Left the main tensioner and chains stock.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey 4driver4 tried messaging you but ur inbox is full. Get at me when you get a chance. Maybe we can help each other out on this build. I know I could use it...
Old 04-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Tech Guru

Cams go into the head, then head on engine, then sprockets onto cams.

Since the heads are already on, you have to be very very careful installing the cams. When you put the cams in first, you can set them into the head so that none of the valves are open, so no spring tension is pushing back against he cap set. Once they are in, you can turn them to install the locking tool prior to installing the head.

However, since the head is already in place and the crank pin installed, you will need to be sure that you can get the cams into the head and turned to TDC without opening the valves on the cylinders where the pistons are at the top of their travel. If you install the locking tool on the cam before you bolt the cams into the head, take extreme care that you tighten the bolts (all 20 of them) a little at a time and evenly.

I'm not sure why you are worried about removing the sprocket; you have to loosen it anyway to set the cam timing.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:14 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by Asap806
Hey 4driver4 tried messaging you but ur inbox is full. Get at me when you get a chance. Maybe we can help each other out on this build. I know I could use it...
Yeah, sorry about that. I hate the message app...not a vB fan at all.

Mine is close to do or die. I'm 3 o-rings short of installing the intake and hitting the key. Trans is in, exhaust is back in, heads are on, timing is set, etc.

3 o-rings.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 4171
Size:  95.5 KB
Internals are done. Timing was actually easy. The trick I had to learn was to remove the heads off the camshafts then put them back on and torque the bolt when the chains tight while the cams are locked into the head. Now just covers and attach the accessories and ready to go back in!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default 05 audi a6 3.2 lower and center timing chain walk-thru

Hey guys have anyone have had to remove the lower and center chain I had to do to failed tensioners. But now I can't find the timing diagram anywhere. I have all the specialty tools. Does anyone have a diagram or any solutions? THANKS
Old 04-28-2014, 10:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I left the lower tensioner alone. All the research I seen it was only the top tensioners failing. It was hard enough to do the top two I wasn't messing with the bottom as well. I found a program called alldata.com and paid a small fee and it gave me pretty good walk throughs on everything including torque settings and what not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 a6 3.2L timing walk-thru needed!