"Gross Polluter"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Gross Polluter"?

Hi all....I drive a 2007 A3 2.0 with APR Stage 2 and the "stealth" catback exhaust. I just had my car smog checked for the 2nd time since I've been in CA (since 2007) and I failed with a "Gross Polluter" category. This was due to the NO levels only as the CO% was well within limits. In speaking with the closest APR dealer to me, he suggest there my be more than just the software causing the issue. (Like a dumbass I neglected to set my SW to "stock" before the test). I had intended to just try and run it again at a local Smog shop now that I set the SW to stock ( have the "adjustable" 4 levels program). The APR guy siad it may be the Catalytic converter (which makes sense) and I don't want to risk another "fail" because that might get the State's attention. Anyone else encounter this? What were your experiences? How did you pass?

Many thanks in advance for input!
Old 10-28-2013, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess what I am asking is, based on the experience of someone with APR software in CA, does it make sense what the APR dealer is telling me? That they have to check everything out and verify the condition of my Catalytic converter? Or would I have been alright if I had set my software back to stock before the smog check? Does that work for others?
Old 11-08-2013, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Nealcp
Hi all....I drive a 2007 A3 2.0 with APR Stage 2 and the "stealth" catback exhaust. I just had my car smog checked for the 2nd time since I've been in CA (since 2007) and I failed with a "Gross Polluter" category. This was due to the NO levels only as the CO% was well within limits. In speaking with the closest APR dealer to me, he suggest there my be more than just the software causing the issue. (Like a dumbass I neglected to set my SW to "stock" before the test). I had intended to just try and run it again at a local Smog shop now that I set the SW to stock ( have the "adjustable" 4 levels program). The APR guy siad it may be the Catalytic converter (which makes sense) and I don't want to risk another "fail" because that might get the State's attention. Anyone else encounter this? What were your experiences? How did you pass?

Many thanks in advance for input!
WOW! Everyone in the A# and SoCal community really stepped the **** right up here, didn't they?...Thanks so much...for the "phantom assistance"...