A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Attention C6 Owners experiencing oil leaks from timing chain cover gasket!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Attention C6 Owners experiencing oil leaks from timing chain cover gasket!

I currently have a case in with AOA regarding an oil leak concern. It has been an issue for me for the last 80k miles in which I have been noticing oil residual all over the bottom of the undercarriage and bottom engine cover. On multiple visits I addressed this concern to the dealers and for the most part I was told that what I was seeing was just residual (bunch of BS) however the actual cause was just detected. All the oil has been coming from the rear timing chain cover gaskets and all this time I was always told from the dealers that there was no leaks found. Big problem is that most of us are outside of out warranty and stuck with a rather large repair of around $3 - $4k (primarily labor time of dropping engine and tranny). There is a good chance our 3.2L engines may have a design flaw. At this point Im still waiting to hear back from AOA on how they want to procede with my case. In the meantime any of you who have the 3.2L engine who have or are currently experiencing this same issue, please give your feedback and note your concern. Audi may have been hiding a huge repair that should have been recalled. And its my best guess that since this leaking of oil is not necessarily a "safety" concern they never went forward with a recall because it would involve a lot of repairs and a lot of money out of their pocket.

Hit me up guys.

Thanks

Last edited by AlteredEgo79; 12-19-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Thanks for the alert. My '06 A6 Avant w/ 57K miles on it doesn't any oil leaks yet, but I will certainly keep an eye for any oil issues and advise.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May also be a good idea to always request to physically go into the shop and talk with the techs to see with your own eyes. I don't trust these guys 100% and of course theres always room for human error so if you do see a leak and its not detected, I would be as persistent as possible and not leave the shop until they verify where its coming from.
Old 12-22-2012, 05:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

The oil leak on the 3.2 is a known problem and Audi has issued a TSB. I believe the old leak TSB is included in my TSB library.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oil leaking from covers at the back of head and valve covers (that was on my invoice). I was at 40k, now on 50k miles.
Old 12-23-2012, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGary
The oil leak on the 3.2 is a known problem and Audi has issued a TSB. I believe the old leak TSB is included in my TSB library.

Here it is but it does not mention the 3.2 http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Engine/Oi...ne%20Areas.pdf-
Old 12-23-2012, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by royclark
Here it is but it does not mention the 3.2 http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/Engine/Oi...ne%20Areas.pdf-
Since I am the person who created the TSB library I am familiar with it.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:23 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 3.2 not listed in your TSB Library .....

Since you are familiar with this library, as you created it , PLEASE show us where it lists the 3.2, instead of the wiseness..

Models Affected:
Engine Model Engine Code
A4 ATW, AWM, AMB
1.8T Cabriolet AMB
TT ATC, AWP, AMU, BEA
2.8 V6
A4 AHA, ATQ
A6 AHA, ATQ
2.7 V6T
S4 APB
A6, allroad APB, BEL
A6, S6 ART, AWN, BBD
4.2 V8 A8, S8 AKB, AUX, AYS, BFM
RS6 BCY

Since I am the person who created the TSB library I am familiar with it.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I didn't reference that TSB
Old 12-23-2012, 08:21 PM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

12-22-2012, 09:20 AM #4
KevinGary
AudiWorld Super User
Garage is empty, add now

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original owner of a 2005 A6 4.2 - Night Blue Pearl Effect, Platinum Voltera Leather and Wood Interior, Navigation, Premium Sound, Sirius Satelite, DVD Player with Screens in Headrests, Heated Front and Rear Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Ski Sack & Headlight Washers, Advanced key, Hartmann S8 Summer Wheels, Continental DW (Summer), Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (Winter), Solar Sunroof, Power Rear & Manual Side Sunshades, Rear Side Airbag Supplemental Restraints, Rear Parktronic, Voice Recognition, Tire Pressure Monitoring System, Bi-Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Power Adjustable Steering Column, Auto Dimming and Compass Interior Mirror, Power Folding and Dimming Exterior Mirrors, Memory Seats, Trip Computer, Homelink, Storage Package, H&R Rear Sway Bar, Koni FSD dampers.

TSB Library link (Thanks to Dr. Cold for his help in setting this up) http://uberlame.com/a6_tsb/
I didn't reference that TSB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Attention C6 Owners experiencing oil leaks from timing chain cover gasket!