Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 07-25-2016, 01:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
vSee related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi Q5 or Q7 Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

SD Card and MMI

Old 06-27-2012, 05:19 AM
YSS
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried this in the Jukebox? I uploaded bunch of songs in the Jukebox and I've read in the manaul that the Jukebox does not support playlists.

Also if this works on a SD card, would this work on a DVD as well?
Old 07-07-2012, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I followed instructions of teddyoh but i am still unable to see playlists on my SD.

I have a 32GB SDHC
Windows iTunes and also tried with Windows Media Player to create M3u
Replaced X:\ with \

MMI sees playlist folder but won't go into it. Any ideas why? If i put it in the root directory, it won't even show up.

I have tried extended M3u, regular M3u and am losing patience!
Old 08-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think there is a big difference depending on year of manufacturer and what software version you have.

To put it bluntly the SD card slot was a good idea but the execution is worthless.

Our 09 unit will not support any file structure, playlists etc. The dealer refuses to even answer questions about SD card use.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Anyone have update on the Video Format for the SD Cards on the VAG Mod?
Old 09-29-2012, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Had to reformat video to under 2000 bit rate via Handbrake. Working great! just a little "low" quality but just ordered the "red" AMI cable for the iPhone so I should be able to watch video off my iPhone 4S.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I set handbrake to iPhone mode, I can view the videos in Jukebox, but not iPad mode. If I play from my iPad using red cable it shows whatever the iPad shows. Still looking for the right settings for Handbrake.
Old 12-30-2012, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mstyle76
Had to reformat video to under 2000 bit rate via Handbrake. Working great! just a little "low" quality but just ordered the "red" AMI cable for the iPhone so I should be able to watch video off my iPhone 4S.
Any luck with the "red" cable? Also what file format are you using for handbrake?
Old 01-12-2013, 08:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by teddyoh
Well thanks for all the great help out there! Good to see a thread that the original poster is the only one to respond!

I have solved this little problem. Reviewing some other threads under specific car models, I saw some conflicting information about the location of songs in .m3u playlist files. Some posters propose editing them to allow the MMI to be correctly pointed to the song location. In fact, this did it for me. Playlist files have the song location built into them. when you export an .m3u playlist from iTunes, the file IS supported by MMI. However, iTunes keeps the file location the same. As a result, MMI was searching for a drive and folder that did not exist on the SD card.

Here's what future MMI users need to do to get playlists to work:

1) Realize that user playlists DO NOT WORK on the Jukebox.

2) Copy the source .mp3 files to the SD drive using the SAME FILE STRUCTURE as on your computer. As an example, I let iTunes organize my library. So a song will have the following path...

C:\Music\U2\Joshua Tree\With or Without You.mp3

When you copy this to your SD card, realize it will be organized by MMI for searching by file structure. I copied the artist folders over in one big batch onto a 32gb SD card. I did not copy the whole Music folder to avoid a subfolder issue and allow for easier artist browsing on the SD card (also I have more music than a 32gb card would hold, so I selected the artists that were on playlists that I use). The file will now have this path assuming your SD card is drive S:

S:\U2\Joshua Tree\with or Without You.mp3

3) Using iTunes (or whatever music program you use), export the playlists as .m3u files to the root directory of your SD card.

4) Open Windows Notepad. Open a playlist file. They are text files, so any text editor should do. Each song on the playlist will be listed in order. Each will also have the full, original path from iTunes. Use the Replace tool in Notepad to eliminate the original location. In the example I gave above:

Replace: C:\Music\
With: \

This will point the playlist file to the correct folder on the SD card. If you use Replace All, you can change the locations of the entire playlist with one click. Great for larger playlists!

5) Save the modified playlist file.

That's it! Insert the SD card into the Audi MMI, and your playlists will play INSTANTLY (after the standard MMI initialization when you start the car) without any playlist loading delays.

I am the smartest man alive!
This worked great! I found this thread and had my SD card ready to go before I picked up my 2013 S4 today! Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-16-2013, 04:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2011 Q5 SD Card problem

Not quite the same problem but it's related so I figured I'd post here (I apologize in advance if it's the wrong place - first post).

I have a 2011 Q5 and have been using 2 SD cards simultaneously since I bought the car, one 32gb, one 16gb.

About a few months ago I noticed that some songs were missing on the 32gb card and figured there must be some sort of data corruption. I then formatted the card and rewrote the songs to the card. Now, it will play for about 30 seconds and then freeze the whole MMI system. I notice that the displayed time of the song becomes increasingly erratic before the freeze (i.e., it skips from 5 directly to 10 seconds).

The 16gb card works fine so I then thought it might be a failure of a card itself and bought a replacement. Unfortunately, still having the same issue with the new card. Clearly the car is having a problem with any 32gb card but I cannot imagine the reason. I've tried the re-boot a few times to no avail. Any advice you might have is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 01-20-2013, 08:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default 2010 A4

I was also using a 32GB SDHC card and it had been working fine up until yesterday. I added new music and it shows up on the computer and everything, but when i put it into the card, the MMI doesnt even display the artist. I tried sliping the music into a another folder that already existed and was showing up, and the MMI still displays everything BUT the added music. I must admit, i am a bit confused...

I tried exporting the music from ITunes in a playlist, it showed the artist but nothing playable. I changed to Root Address for the files, same thing..shows artist but a folder with no content on the MMI.

So basically it seems as if my MMI is refusing to load any new content i provide, anyone else experience this or have a solution??

I look forward to hearing from you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SD Card and MMI