A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Anyone successfully had a remote start installed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone successfully had a remote start installed?

Winter weather is here and I am looking to see if anyone has successfully installed/had installed a remote starter. If so, what products were used and who did the install? I have been doing some research and while some info is discouraging, it is evident that it is possible.

Please hold any reasons why it should not be done including: Audi electronics not being suited for it, cost being high, theft possibility, stupid, etc.

Just looking for facts here, no opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm actually surprised it wasn't a factory option....
Hell, If my steering wheel is heated I figured they would have
thought about it being heated Before I got in... lol
Old 11-17-2009, 10:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05A632
Winter weather is here and I am looking to see if anyone has successfully installed/had installed a remote starter. If so, what products were used and who did the install? I have been doing some research and while some info is discouraging, it is evident that it is possible.

Please hold any reasons why it should not be done including: Audi electronics not being suited for it, cost being high, theft possibility, stupid, etc.

Just looking for facts here, no opinions.

Thanks in advance.
Well with the right installer and enough $$ anything is possible.

Any half-assed installer with a pair of crimp pliers can install a remote start, and bypass your immobilizer system, but it will take a very skilled installer and a lot of time to do it properly. You should to the best mobile electronics people in your area and get a feel for what they think.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I as well am surprised it's not an option from factory. Maybe they will do it in the next few years.

I would like to have one installed but will probably never get to because I'm not having one installed with the CPO in affect and about the time it runs out I will trade it off.

My dad was kind of bummed when he ordered his 2010 A6 Prestige and couldn't order remote start on it, same with his 05' A4 he had.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've heard that it's not offered as an option because Audi does not recommend letting the car sit idling for 5, 10 or 15 minutes. As stated above, I'm sure it's possible with an expert installer, but I'd guess you'd have to shell out $600 to $800 for a quality job. If someone offers to do it for half that, run away!
Old 11-18-2009, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by swhite63
I've heard that it's not offered as an option because Audi does not recommend letting the car sit idling for 5, 10 or 15 minutes. As stated above, I'm sure it's possible with an expert installer, but I'd guess you'd have to shell out $600 to $800 for a quality job. If someone offers to do it for half that, run away!
+1 but mainly because of the way Audi run the electrical stuffs in the car, nobody really tries to mess with it. Also, you guys must note that there isn't any remote starter for any cars out there from the manufacture themselves. They are all aftermarket stuffs. Dealer picks the best and do the installation themselves and that's it.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not to be nitpicky, but GM does offer factory remote start on some of its cars and trucks.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Never driven a single American car for all my life. Neither Audi, BMW, Honda, Toyota or Lexus, Nissan or Infiniti offer remote starter as a factory option.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

I guess it is just one of those things that once you have, you can not live without.....especially in a cold climate. My past 5 vehicles have had it and I want it in my Audi......BAD. At this point I am willing to pay whatever it takes to have the job done....right.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah GM/Chevy have it.
But I understand Audi's Concern, But I still think it should be an option.
Would love to start the car 60 seconds before hoping into it.
Oh well.

Quick Reply: Anyone successfully had a remote start installed?