A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011

Took a quick pic of my '07 4.2

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 10:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fortunately, I can do that with the push of a button (air suspension)
Old 08-17-2006, 11:02 AM

Default Re: why do you think Audi is any different?

Hi Ross.

Glad you're so in tune with Audi's design philosophy.

Audi also doesn't offer iPod integration or MP3 capability on the A6 either.

And they don't offer DVD/rear seat LCD systems like Jag does.

And the A6 is not available in a convertible model.

And...

The point is that there are many reasons why Audi doesn't offer certain things while they do offer others. And you are unlikely to ever know the entire story as to why these desisions were made. So don't assume that it was for asthetic reasons since different people have different tastes. And as an FYI, just about every Audi dealer in SoCal offers aftermarket chrome wheels.

The more likely reason is that Audi is extrememly liability conscious since the Audi 5000 debacle. This is also why they have more warning labels in their cars and even the NAV systems had that annoying startup screen with a warning everytime it powered up (kudos to them for dropping that in the '07's).

It is hard to find a recent model, dark-colored, high line (Merc, BMW, Lexus, Porsche, etc...) vehicle in SoCal that isn't running chrome wheels. Maybe it is a regional taste or more related to newer cars than yours.
Old 08-17-2006, 02:03 PM

Default I don't know what liability has to do with offering chrome wheels.

It's a strictly aesthetic decision. The other things you mention have nothing to do with aesthetics. Different people may have different tastes, as in the cultural bubble known as SoCal, but they tend to buy things that reflect their tastes, instead of altering them in ways incongruous with the original design. Dealers who sell aftermarket wheels are diluting the brand and ultimately hurting themselves.

Maybe I'm wrong and Audis have become a fad that everyone wants to bling out like Hummers. I hope not.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:29 AM

Default You should probably ease off the ego a bit

Ask Ford and Firestone what sort of liability can come from wheel and tire issues. Plus people who don't know how to properly care for chrome wheels would create a service liability and expense that Audi doesn't want to have to deal with.

With Audi, their thinking is take no chances or risks given that it has taken them about 15 to 20 years to get their market in the US back. I can't blame them.

And you are being incredibly presumptious to claim than you know what the Audi designers were thinking and what mught be incongruous with anythying. Have you ever spoken with an Audi designer? Oh, that's right, you couldn't since they have moved their design center to Southern California like most other manufacturers.

Your jealousy shows in your snide remarks about the "cultural bubble" of SoCal. Southern California is ground zero of the car culture and has been since before you were born. Most things that show up in other parts of the country appeared out here first (I know since I lived back east for close to 30 years). That is why almost all major manufactures have their design centers here. So get over yourself.

And Audis are no fad with me; this is my seventh one. How many have you owned?

Obviously tastes and regional prefrences do vary (thankfully, otherwise we would all be driving the same cars and their would be no individuality). This difference in preferences is also evidenced in that some folks think putting Eibachs on a big, heavy, luxury sedan turns it into a sports car.

And don't feel too bad for the brand-diluting SoCal Audi dealers hurting themselves since they are among the top selling Audi dealerships in the world.

Why is someone with a 7 year old A8 posting in the C6 forum anyway?
Old 08-18-2006, 10:14 AM

Default Logic much? Firestone was a tire problem, not a wheel problem.

Again, you fail to explain how wheel finish is anything other than cosmetic, and my original post simply stated that I don't think chrome looks good on Audis. I still think you have a nice car, but sorry, no jealousy here.

"Cultural bubble" is no more derogatory than "housing bubble." I've been to California more than once and always enjoyed it. I also enjoy traveling to Europe, and whenever I'm there I see a lot of cars that are at least a year from hitting our shores, if at all. But according to you, those were all designed in SoCal. Wow, it must be nice to live at the center of the universe, even if only in your mind.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:33 AM

Default You missed the point; again

I never said chrome wasn't cosmetic. Just about everything on the outside of any car is done for cosmetic reasons (which is why you changed your wheels as well). You are the one that said Audi made a conscious decision not to use chrome. The fact is that you have no idea what Audi thought. You are simply trying to validate your own tastes.

I noticed that the single, quick picture I posted has had more than 500 views. And yours was the only negative comment. What does that say about you relative to the 500+ other forum members?

And just because you see a car model on the streets in Europe first does not mean at all that it was designed or styled there. Audi is a global company and has pieces of it's operations in many places all over the world. For example, the 4.2 engines come from a plant in Hungary, not Germany. Wonder where the Bose stereo comes from? Or the Continental tires?

There was an invitation posted in this forum only last week to visit a private, hosted tour of Audi's design facility in Orange County. The posting even included a picture of the facility. So you can check that out if you don't believe me.

Do all us culturally out of touch Californians a favor and stay home.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:45 AM

Default Yes, over 500 views and so far, only 2 of the other 4 people who responded like them.

What does that tell you?
Old 08-18-2006, 12:26 PM

Default Still seeking validation of your tastes, huh?

It tells me that as usual, most people took the posting the way it was meant; simply a picture of the new model (of which many people had been requesting).

It also tells me that unlike you, most folks keep their opinions to themselves unless they have something constructive to say.

And finally, that's still running 2 to 1 against you.

Have a nice weekend.
Old 08-18-2006, 01:37 PM

Default I think you're the one seeking validation by posting that photo.

Too bad you're obviously so disappointed.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:15 PM

Default Photos were requested by several posters on this board

Again, you are so mistaken. I don't need anyone's opinion to validate the vehicle I chose, or anything else for that matter. I am fortunate enough that I can afford just about any vehicle on the road (a Veyron would be a stretch, but still doable).

I chose the A6 because I like it. If I wanted "validation" I would have bought an SL, Bentley GT, or some other look-at-me automobile.

And I would have taken the car somewhere special to photographed from just the right angle in just the right light; not simply posted a quick snapshot.

You still need to get over yourself. And again, why is an old-model A8 driver posting in the C6 forum? Too hard to belittle the other A8 drivers with newer cars?

Quick Reply: Took a quick pic of my '07 4.2