Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Dead battery & looking for a mechanic in the PDX, OR area

Old 12-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dead battery & looking for a mechanic in the PDX, OR area

Yesterday the '09 Q7 stranded me with a dead battery. No indicator light or message appeared to alert me prior to this.

So, the Q7 was squeezed in at the Audi shop today....and it has been there all freaking day. They cannot finish the job in one day....which seems to be the case with every single darn service on this thing -- even regular maintenance.

The estimate for the battery, reprogramming and a glow plug is $700. The battery alone is $390.

Fuming because I just had the 45k service several weeks ago (the car has 35k miles on it) and nothing about the battery was brought up then. They kept the Q7 for that service over the weekend because they didn't have the parts.

In addition, as happened again today, they never call to provide an update on the service.

I live in Portland, OR and have had enough with my Audi shop. If anyone knows of a competent, courteous and reasonably priced mechanic, I would love to know!

This Q7 might get the boot. Drove my husband's 2010 A4 today and I adore it. Quick, responsive and easy to park.

The husband said next time he would do the battery himself.
Old 12-18-2013, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Yes, get yourself a VCDS and a new battery...

Originally Posted by AudiQ7Lady
The husband said next time he would do the battery himself.
Since you own more than 1 Audi, it's good to have a VCDS and it'll pay for itself and save you from frustration by taking the cars to the dealers. This forum will help you to get your car going in less time than waiting at the dealers.

Cheers,

Louis
Old 12-18-2013, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, battery job will be around $600- battery is around $250+, $100+ for VAG reprogramming, and the remainder is for labor.

Battery is located underneath the driver's seat and takes 2-3 hours to replace if you take your time. A non-Audi battery can be found for ~$200, but after replacing, you will need to let the car know (via VAG COM cable) that a new battery has been installed. You will need the battery's brand, model, serial number which will provide the car with information of when the battery was 'born' so that as it gets older, it will recharge the battery more than it would than if it were new.

(Friend of mine changed his but didn't reprogram the new Interstate battery and as a result, it drained his new battery and non-necessary electrical items in his car randomly would not work. I told him that a reprogram would fix it, but his Audi service tech convinced him to buy an OEM Audi battery that they would program properly. No issues with his Q7 now, but I think that with the proper programming, his car would've been alright with the Interstate battery.)

As long as they clean the sunroof drains (front and rear) and you don't spill any liquids on the MMI controller, the Q7 seems to be a solid car.

Good luck!