A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Misfire and Lifter noise?? 2008 Audi A4 2.0T Q

Old 04-21-2014, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire and Lifter noise?? 2008 Audi A4 2.0T Q

Hi everyone! I'm new to this site and signed up to see if anyone could possibly shed some light on the issues I'm having with my Audi.

I have a 2008 A4 2.0T Quattro. Last June I was on the highway and my daughter was in the back seat in her child seat. It was positioned in the middle of the car, she was upset and when I went to downshift to get off the highway her foot kicked my arm and I went from 5th gear to 2nd causing a BIG thrust back and a bang! The car drove fine for maybe a mile and pretty much died out.
My first diagnosis was from some yoyo that wanted my money and told me I needed a whole engine replacement because the valves were bent and a clutch assembly including flywheel and he wanted $7500. I decided to go with a 2nd opinion but with that first quote in my head I let my Audi sit for 9 months before having it checked by another local mechanic.
My second diagnosis was I blew a coil pack and I needed a clutch assembly and thats it. Total $2k and I was happy about that! So I had it done.

The mechanic, changed the entire clutch system and my 4th cylinder was not firing so he changed the coil pack for that cylinder. He also changed all my spark plugs(to double platinum) and did a synthetic oil change as well. He calls me a week later and tells me my car is running fantastic and to come pick it up.

Excited, I go to get my car only to drive it off the lot and feel it misfire big time, have hardly any power and its ticking like a time bomb! I have no idea what fantastic meant to this guy. Supposedly he was making that statement while it was sitting idling. Anyway he tells me to drive it for a few days and see what happens since its been sitting for almost 10 months.
Its now been a week since picking it up, the lifters are still ticking(after adding engine treatment) and the misfire is still there but has gotten better. I'm not sure if my turbo is working as I cant hear it due to the lifters. I would be lying if I didnt say the lifter noise hasnt improved but it still sounds like its ticking. Anyone have any advice? Is there something else he should have done for the misfire? Do you think my turbo is working? There are times when the car does have good pickup and the power has gotten A LOT beter since the day I picked it up. Please help. This car is my baby and I really miss how it used to run. Thanks so much! Sorry for the novel..
Scott
Old 04-21-2014, 10:05 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

If you went from 5th to 2nd, and the clutch engaged, I'd be inclined to believe the first opinion. More than likely one or more valves were bent.