Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

New "Auto Door Opening Feature" Discovered

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2014, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New "Auto Door Opening Feature" Discovered

Cold morning this week in the northeast, go out to my car (2013 A6 PPLus) to open the driver's side rear door to put in briefcase. Pull handle and find door is frozen shut. Go to passenger side rear and also frozen shut. Ok, I'll put it in the passenger front...you guessed it - frozen shut. Ok, I'll just get in driver's door and reach over the console to place briefcase on passenger floor. Works great. Ready to drive off and I hear "pop" and interior lights come on. Hmmm. Look at dash and see driver's rear door popped ajar. Ok, the heat from inside the car unfroze it. Close the door, drive away. Ready to get on the highway and "pop" passenger door opens ajar. Drive a little further to find a safe spot to pull over and you guessed it passenger door pops ajar. Pull into a parking lot, close the doors and proceed on my way. So, if you give your doors a tug and they don't open, beware that they may once you start driving and the interior heat warms them up. I am surprised that the door locking mechanism allowed the doors to pop open.
Old 01-18-2014, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Did you hear the 8/9 mph loud "click" idicating that the doors were locking? If your hand on the handles did unlock all the three doors (other than the drive's door) then likely the auto lock at 8/9 mph wouldn't have worked. Try it parked sometime when the doors are closed but not fully latched (open a crack). Even with the remote they don't lock and "chirp." Luckily I park in a heated garage that is 75 - 80 degrees F all winter. I'll keep your experience in mind when venturing out to colder environments.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

A tip I was given by trade person was to spray the rubber seals with TF2 lubricant (with Teflon surface protector) this stops the rubber from sticking to the door frame
Old 01-20-2014, 10:13 AM
Banned

Haha. I wasn't expecting this story when I opened the thread. Good to know, however!
Old 01-20-2014, 03:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by irenesbob
Did you hear the 8/9 mph loud "click" idicating that the doors were locking? If your hand on the handles did unlock all the three doors (other than the drive's door) then likely the auto lock at 8/9 mph wouldn't have worked. Try it parked sometime when the doors are closed but not fully latched (open a crack). Even with the remote they don't lock and "chirp." Luckily I park in a heated garage that is 75 - 80 degrees F all winter. I'll keep your experience in mind when venturing out to colder environments.
Good point about the locking click...don't know that I heard it but I did have to unlock my door when I got out to close the other doors so, yes, must have locked. I'll have to lube the seals though I think it was more the ice encasing the doors themselves. Yeh, my Corvette is in one bay of the garage and my wife has the other bay. I am envious of the 75 degree heated garage! I would be thrilled!! Thanks for the replies.