2005 4.2 timing set up??

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 04:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 4.2 timing set up??

I am at the point on replacing a broken guide on my 2005 A6 4.2. I am also replacing all the chains and the tensioners aswell bank 1 cam adjuster. Does anyone have any information on how to make sure the timing is correct.Prior to removing the motor it was misfiring on all cyl. Any pointers??
Old 03-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

What did you end up doing? Would you please share your outcome? Thanks!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ended up purchasing the Bentley DVD for all the info on the proper tools needed and procedures. I replaced both cam adjusters all 4 chains,guides and tentioners. It was a big job to do but ordered the proper tools to use when replacing the cam adjusters.Attached are some pics for you.After all was done I also replace all oil check valves under the intake as well the complete intake. There was a broken plasitc piece that I could not repair! I also replace all the shocks with AL-KO and lowered the car with Eibach Pro Kit (1.0-1.2"). I had removed the mufflers too and replace them with straight exhaust pipes and welded Magnaflow s/s tips. sounds amazing!! Nothing but thumbs up with the car. Come spring I will put my summer 18" rims with the new Michelin Pilot Super Sport 245/40/18 and post those pics.
Attached Images     
Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is the pics front the beginning of the motor work,Enjoy
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The begining of the tare down. We checked for any damage on the cams and top end..
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is were we started to find damage and broken guides..
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2012, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Here is one of the broken guides..In Audi's Bulletin's they say if you have a chatter noise when cold start up that it is normal... and not a problem..well I had that noise upon startup and it eventually gotten worse and worse and this is what can happen
Attached Images    
Old 03-05-2012, 08:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After over a restless night of sleep of finding the passenger side cam adjuster exploding inside of its self(bank)! I ordered both sides.. aswell I ended ordering all new parts for the rest of the timing components to know that I did the job right the first time!
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2012, 09:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

After the install of the motor,shocks and springs. The car now runs and drives amazing no more rattles,chattering and misfire!! When all this started I went to the dealer to find out what can cause all this and they "never" had this type of problem.I also asked around locally to get some hints but nothing.I went on forums and found nothing either. So I decided to do this here at my shop even though I have never performed this extensive of a job(European) but we did it and can say now bring it on!! Here is my web site www.everythingautomotive.ca
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2012, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Why is it audi/Vw cant make an engine with timing chains last. VR6 and W8/W12 engines have the same stupid long, complex, over done chain setup with the cheapest plastic they could find to use as guides. 80k or less, rattles and problems. Almost wish they just stuck to belts.... How many miles does yours have on it?

Quick Reply: 2005 4.2 timing set up??