I've owned the coupe for a year and 3/4 now and I'll say this... Update(loooong)

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I've owned the coupe for a year and 3/4 now and I'll say this... Update(loooong)

After a shopping spree at Autohausaz.com I had a box full of goodies to get the coupe tuned up.

Friday: The idea was to remove the intake manifold so I could get to the valve cover gasket that has a slight seep... after breaking off an allen wrench in one of the bolts I scratched that plan because the valve cover isn't really leaking but just seeping very slowly. (like if I wipe it with a towel it will begin to collect dirt a few weeks later). To me this was actually a relief because I didn't have to deal with the logistics of pulling the intake along with the fuel rail etc etc ... Perhaps I'll revisit this one when I do the injector upgrade.

Back to Friday... I started with some easy stuff... The thermostat, fan thermo-switch, fan relay, and coolant all needed to be changed. That didn't take too long once I figured out you don't have to remove anything except the radiator hose from the thermostat housing to R&R the t-stat. I had all this done before noon after a late start. Next I removed the exhaust manifold for gasket and stud replacement. Turns out that I had the wrong studs in the motor... one of which had broken off at the nut. All except one stud came out with ease and some PB blaster (big relief)! Actually the hardest part of the part was disconnecting the downpipe... what a pain! I lack the tools necessary to do this job properly. I could have used a lift, an 18" 3/8 ext. and swivel. If you don't have that you'll need to jack up the car and get to the downpipe nuts through the pass. side tie rod slot, 2 of them anyway. The back one you can get with a wrench from the engine bay (top) and the other two you must get from the bottom with a long socket and ratchet (3/8" drive or it won't fit). And prepare to have cramped fingers and bloody knuckles.

Saturday: Friday night I got the manifold out and cleaned it up. And as Bentley says, installation is reverse of removal. I followed that exactly, even the order in which I had removed the bolts. Not sure if it made a difference but it went together quickly. The new nuts are shiny copper and the washers are exceptionally thick... not sure why but I'm not arguing. Next I torqued everything down to spec and fired it up. No exhaust leak... good. Coolant is bubbling out the vent... good.

All and all everything turned out great, no leaks no redo's and running exceptional. It's amazing what a flaky thermostat will do to an engine... weird carbon buildup in the exhaust.

Sunday: I wanted to get a few heat cycles in the manifold before I put the heat shield back on so after driving Saturday night and Sunday morning I got it nice an hot a few times. I re-torqued the manifold bolts and installed the heat shield while I was at a friends house with a lift.

While I was there I also replaced the exhaust hangers with the chain ones (get a pry-bar and some lube for that job... even with a lift it can be tough) I also slapped in a new Oxygen sensor to match the new spark plugs, dist cap, rotor and plug wires.

Synopsis: The T-stat wasn't replaced with the timing belt at last service like the guy said he did... bastage! So that would explain why it wasn't regulating engine temps. It showed obvious signs of age. The car runs fantastically... with so many little problems stacking up, it really started to run like crap.

Well on to other projects, at least the motor is happy... for now.
Old 09-18-2006, 07:21 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo! it's all the little fiddly stuff that we need to stay ontop of with these cars. if we do

then they are fantastic. better than any new car I would ever want to own, and twice as pretty (well, maybe not compared to a B5 RS4)
Old 09-18-2006, 08:16 AM

Default Glad that the issues were solved, T-stats can do wonders. I assume you have the tubular manifold.

Did you notice an obscene amount of engine bay heat with the heat sheild out of place? and do you run the stock intake? when i was cleaning stuff up last night i was looking at the ugly sheild knowing the beauty that lay beneth it wishing it was visible. Maybe when the car can be down for a few days I will ceramic coat it.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Maybe the car will behave differently with a new pair of shoes :-)
Old 09-18-2006, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

If I can get rid of that two wheeled wonder you're getting a call.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have the cast manifold...

Still an insane amount of heat without the shield, and yeah, I'm still running the stock airbox. As a matter of fact, I need a new aircleaner, thanks for reminding me.
Old 09-18-2006, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default big 2nd...little by little my Coupe came a long way and now its an awesome car...

still short on power and it needs paint but that's about it. Paint is no big deal for now and w/power I deal by hanging in 5-7k rpm range regularly...it helps it move and it sounds soo much better up top with those headers.