Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Any news on disable/disabling TPMS -- turn off in Q7?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any news on disable/disabling TPMS -- turn off in Q7?

Pardon the title...just want to cast a wide net for future searchers.

So I know this has gone around a few times already with the following facts:

Placing wheels without sensors will cause the beep warning and then constant warning illumination.

Sensors can be had for $225 - $275 with stems, etc. from sources like Tire Rack.

Question is this (again)...as the A8 has the ability in the MMI to turn off TPMS function...any idea if this will ever be available via a software/firmware update to Q7 owners?

Is their any VAGcom / OBD II / hidden key sequence that will allow a user to voluntarily disable the TPMS?

I made the choice to not mess with sensors on my winter wheels and just assumed that this level of user control would be available in the MMI -- of course, bad idea.

Anyway, wanted to get a fresh thread going in case there have been any new developments on this in the last year? Anyone have a dealer that has been able to supply the magic bullet?

Thanks all...
Old 12-20-2007, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default TPMS is different A8 vs Q7 -->

The Q7 uses a single antenna like the B7/A4 and the C6/A6. The A8 has an antenna for each wheel and so is more flexible. Audi claims that the system cannot be turned off by the customer implying that the dealer could do it but I don't think they will since your government has mandated TPMS.

BTW, I don't think Tirerack actually sells the Audi sensor by itself.

Pull the fuse to the module (#4 on panel B - 5 amp) and see what happens.
Old 05-02-2010, 02:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but after a lot of searching and combining info from different forums, i finally figured it out.

1. Pull the TPMS fuse, as mentioned above - (#4 on panel B - 5 amp)
2. Vag-Com - module 19 CAN Gateway -> Coding -> Long Coding helper -> Find and disable TPMS -> Do It -> Done
Cycle Ignition
3. Vag-Com - module 17 Instruments -> Coding -> Subtract 16 from your coding's first 4 digits (ie. if your coding number first digits are 2609, you should change them to 2593) -> Do it -> done.

No more TPMS messages, no more lights. Basically if you dont pull the fuse first, the Cluster still receives signal from the TPMS module, and message remains, and trows a code for Incorrect coding.

Hope this helps everyone for future wheel upgrades.

Toni
Old 01-02-2011, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for this Toni!
Different car and slightly diff end number (for C6S6), but I still deducted 16 etc... and it's all good. No lights n bells.
There's a lot of vague half solutions out there to turn off tpms, but this worked for me

Originally Posted by toniz
Sorry for bringing back this old thread, but after a lot of searching and combining info from different forums, i finally figured it out.

1. Pull the TPMS fuse, as mentioned above - (#4 on panel B - 5 amp)
2. Vag-Com - module 19 CAN Gateway -> Coding -> Long Coding helper -> Find and disable TPMS -> Do It -> Done
Cycle Ignition
3. Vag-Com - module 17 Instruments -> Coding -> Subtract 16 from your coding's first 4 digits (ie. if your coding number first digits are 2609, you should change them to 2593) -> Do it -> done.

No more TPMS messages, no more lights. Basically if you dont pull the fuse first, the Cluster still receives signal from the TPMS module, and message remains, and trows a code for Incorrect coding.

Hope this helps everyone for future wheel upgrades.

Toni
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DasTT
The Q7 uses a single antenna like the B7/A4 and the C6/A6. The A8 has an antenna for each wheel and so is more flexible. Audi claims that the system cannot be turned off by the customer implying that the dealer could do it but I don't think they will since your government has mandated TPMS.

BTW, I don't think Tirerack actually sells the Audi sensor by itself.

Pull the fuse to the module (#4 on panel B - 5 amp) and see what happens.
Just to clarify, I did successfully order OEM Q7 sensors from Tire Rack. I believe they can be ordered separately, but a work around would be to order a package and then delete the tires and wheels, leaving the sensors only.

For my winter set up, I purchased 18" OEM wheels off ebay for $150 ea delivered (virtually brand new), OEM sensors from Tire Rack, Blizzaks from Costco who mounted and balanced everything for $15 per corner. Still not cheap, but worthwhile safety insurance for such an amazing vehicle plus it saves wear and tear on those ungodly expensive 21" summer tires for at least part of the year. I opted for the sensors as I have no access to VAG-com and find blinking lights on the dash too much of an annoying distraction when driving. I was tempted to skip the sensors, but now glad I did not.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by justinator
Just to clarify, I did successfully order OEM Q7 sensors from Tire Rack. I believe they can be ordered separately, but a work around would be to order a package and then delete the tires and wheels, leaving the sensors only.
WRT sensors. I just mounted up a set of snow tires for my wife's X5D and got the sensors from tire-rack. Looking at them, they looked very familiar so picked up an Audi one I had sitting on the bench. Same Manufacturer part no. ......
Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am looking possibly at swapping out our OEM for some of the S line wheels.

Has anyone experienced if it is a pain or a pretty simple issue to have a tire shop swap over the TPMS units?
Old 03-16-2011, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

worked like a charm... thx.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

where is fuse panel b?

if your vagcom does not offer long code helper (even on the newest software from rosstech) is there another way to disable the tpms?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:35 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i followed Toniz's procedure to disable TPMS last winter when installed snow tires on my 08 Q7 & it worked perfect. (i wrote down all the steps & values before i disable)
winter is over i switched the summer tires back on & tried to re-enable the TPMS system, now i have the TPMS Malfunction message & TPMS indicator is lid.
am i missing something? please help
thanks

Last edited by xboltss; 04-21-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Any news on disable/disabling TPMS -- turn off in Q7?