Possible Head Gasket problem??

Old 02-06-2014, 02:09 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Head Gasket problem??

Hi ive just purchased a 225 TT

This is my first Audi I have only owned BMW's but anyway here is my problem.

I have a mustard looking mayonnaise cap normally in the mornings which disappears once I go for a 10-15 minute drive. How ever I have problems with my dials for temperature and petrol as they are both inaccurate and or the opposite to what they should read 130 degrees is like the norm instead of 90! and whilst it doesn't seem to bad on performance I feel there is a slight lag!

The mustard under the cap is worrying and I'm sure I have a leak as the oil seems watery I added 5w/30 fully synthetic as there was minimum on the dipstick however no mayo or mustard on the dipstick just on the cap and the neck ok the oil hole.

Its not thick is more of a most sludge and not heavy kind of surface. but I would like to use k-seal encase there is any gasket leaks as I cannot afford a gasket change right now if that is the problem.

Can someone tell me what the problem could be and how to resolve? oil change needed? and where on earth do you locate the radiator cap to add K-seal im so confused can see nothing in a TT engine bay so compact.

Thank you for your time and patience any help will be appreciated!
Old 02-07-2014, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How cold is it? The stuff on the oil cap is VERY normal for cold weather or short trip driving. If your thermostat is good and the breather system is functioning dont worry about it. And engine will create 1 gallon of water for every gallon of gasoline burned. So you can imagine how much condensation will suddenly appear in a cold engine. The oil must be brought to operating temp to boil off the excess water, the crankcase vent system must be able to allow the water and other contaminates to be evacuated and reburned.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
How cold is it? The stuff on the oil cap is VERY normal for cold weather or short trip driving. If your thermostat is good and the breather system is functioning dont worry about it. And engine will create 1 gallon of water for every gallon of gasoline burned. So you can imagine how much condensation will suddenly appear in a cold engine. The oil must be brought to operating temp to boil off the excess water, the crankcase vent system must be able to allow the water and other contaminates to be evacuated and reburned.
I drive really short distances but I checked it today on my lunch break and it was there again it looks very watery even got droplets which came off the oil cap and you can clearly see that, but never had a car which has visible mustard colour under the oil cap before the car runs ok maybe it would benefit from an oil change and air filter I appreciate your help though.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well Audi VW engines have fairly poor breather systems so the yellow stuff will tend to be more obvious and appear more often than say a chevy or a honda.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 02-10-2014 at 04:35 PM.