VAG-COM Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vag Com to fix headlight dysfunction.

Old 01-04-2014, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vag Com to fix headlight dysfunction.

A light came up on my 2012 Audi A5 saying that my headlight range is dysfunctional.
I have heard that the Vag Com is needed to resolve the problem.
Can someone tell me the steps I need to do, as I am a total noob with this.
Thank you.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by JayTachi
A light came up on my 2012 Audi A5 saying that my headlight range is dysfunctional.
I have heard that the Vag Com is needed to resolve the problem.
Can someone tell me the steps I need to do, as I am a total noob with this.
Thank you.
Have you fixed your problem?
If not, this may help depending on what your issue is. I mechanically adjusted my headlight height which resulted in a headlight range dysfunction notification in my dash. I followed the instructions in this thread, and it fixed the problem:

http://www.a4mods.com/index.php?page...autolevel.html

Incidentaly, I bought the VCDS cable from Ross-Tech because of this code and because 2 different mechanics had no clue as to how to fix it. 10 minutes in my garage and the above thread - FIXED!
Old 02-03-2014, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for the reply.
I still haven't gotten around to fix the problem.
I saw that link before, but didn't quite understand it. Also I was wondering if it will work with a 2012 model? Will the cable be all I need or will I need a certain software as well?
Sorry for all the questions, I really have no idea what to do.
Thanks for your help too.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

My vehicle is a 2012 Q7, and that procedure worked for me. So if your fault is the same issue, I think it should work....but I am a complete newbie so no guarantees!

Did you do something or change something to your car that made the fault appear? I manually adjusted my headlights which threw the fault code; that blog poster had taken off his bumper... If you didn't do something to cause the fault code, then maybe something else is going on? I thought you had the VAG cable already, in which case it would have been worth trying that procedure out.

You have to buy the cable. That then gives you access to software. From what I've read, everybody recommends the real-deal cable from Ross-Tech. Pricey, but worth it for the ability to do some of your own work on the car.

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/VCHUC.html

I bought mine from EuropaParts with free shipping.

I would hate to recommend you buy the cable only to find out that your issue is different and that procedure doesn't solve the problem. You may be able to hunt around on this site and others and find another enthusiast who has a cable and is willing to plug in to your car for a beer or some cash.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah it's probably the same. I took off the lights to switch the front fascia with a new kit. I didn't know which wire to purchase from the site. I'll try to check out the other site you purchased your cables from this weekend. Do you think it would be cheaper to fix this myself or just bring it in to the dealers to fix it?
Old 02-04-2014, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by JayTachi
Yeah it's probably the same. I took off the lights to switch the front fascia with a new kit. I didn't know which wire to purchase from the site. I'll try to check out the other site you purchased your cables from this weekend. Do you think it would be cheaper to fix this myself or just bring it in to the dealers to fix it?
The link above is to the right cable.
Here's where I got mine:
http://www.europaparts.com/vag-com-d...ross-tech.html

IF the dealer can fix it, that will be cheaper...but if you get the cable you will be able to use it in the future as well.
2 mechanics were unable to clear the code for me, though it only took me 10 minutes with those instructions!