Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Owner Update

Old 02-02-2014, 04:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Owner Update

I am thinking of getting an SQ5 sometime this year, but I don't know anyone that owns one. So, if you are an owner, can you let me know your view on what you like, don't like, issues so far, and how many miles you have on the vehicle?
I am looking at a Panther Black with the red/black interior package. My wife wants to go the opposite way and wants a Glacier White with red/black interior. It was a pain cleaning my Phantom Black S5 but there is just nothing like a clean black car and will withstand the pain and torture of keeping a clean black car :-)
Old 02-02-2014, 05:21 AM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I have 2800 miles on my Ice Silver/Black Nappa SQ5 and love it every time I get in the car.

My likes:
- very quick off the mark without any fuss and excellent braking
- the lightning-quick upshifts and raspy exhaust sound in S mode
- very comfortable ride - firm and stable through the twisty bits but smooth under freeway conditions
- more loading capacity than my Infiniti FX45
- smooth iPod interface through the MMI (get the red cable)
- cool integration of maps and Google Earth images in the nav system

Dislikes, all pretty minor I think
- hard to dry the car after washing; it retains a lot of water in the mirrors and around the deck lid. A blow n vac is the answer.
- the MMI control wheel is counter-intuitive - it seems to turn the wrong way. I'm still not used to it.

I love the look of Black/Red combination but could not go with it in the heat & dust of Southern Arizona. Besides, I like the stealth look of the silver.

Go for it and enjoy the car.

Steve
Old 02-02-2014, 06:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Appreciate the response, thank you.

One more thing, I do have a 2 year old as well...so if you have kids and an SQ5, how is that working out? I am just a little worried that the back is a little small for 2 car seats (whenever a second kid comes around). Any thoughts on that?
I am an Audi guy and want to stick with Audi for an SUV but I am not crazy about Q7's, and Allroads are not my thing...so the only logical purchase is the SQ5 to have as an "SUV" (i say that in quotes cause it is small) and keep the enthusiast part alive.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:20 AM
Club AutoUnion

Well, we're retired but we did have our two grandkids, aged 4 years & 9 months, over Christmas. The 2 car seats fit easily in the back. The adult in the back with them (usually their 5' 9", 150lb dad) was pretty cramped however.

Steve
Old 02-02-2014, 08:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scrmorling
I have 2800 miles on my Ice Silver/Black Nappa SQ5 and love it every time I get in the car.

My likes:
- very quick off the mark without any fuss and excellent braking
- the lightning-quick upshifts and raspy exhaust sound in S mode
- very comfortable ride - firm and stable through the twisty bits but smooth under freeway conditions
- more loading capacity than my Infiniti FX45
- smooth iPod interface through the MMI (get the red cable)
- cool integration of maps and Google Earth images in the nav system

Dislikes, all pretty minor I think
- hard to dry the car after washing; it retains a lot of water in the mirrors and around the deck lid. A blow n vac is the answer.
- the MMI control wheel is counter-intuitive - it seems to turn the wrong way. I'm still not used to it.

I love the look of Black/Red combination but could not go with it in the heat & dust of Southern Arizona. Besides, I like the stealth look of the silver.

Go for it and enjoy the car.

Steve
+1 on the counter intuitive MMI ****. After 14 months I've pretty well adjusted to it, but still have to pause momentarily to remember which way to turn it, especially after driving our other car. I just read a review on an Audi in either CR or C&D and they mentioned it too. One of those quirks I guess.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I absolutely love the car. It drives like a dream, and I would recommend it to anyone who isn't uptight about gas mileage. The couple things that bother me:
- who designed the sun visors? They are worthless. They are so short, they don't block any sun for me during rush hour. Then I read on this site that the plastic clip that holds the visor in place snaps of easily. Hasn't happened to me... yet.
- I am pretty steamed that I can't see my album art from my ipod. I have a 160GB classic, and even with the red grommet cable, I do not get art. All my previous cars with an ipod hookup allowed me to see album art.
- I knew I was getting into brake dust by buying the SQ, but this is pretty bad. I have to clean the front wheels once a week.
- I have to manually turn the fog lights on each time the car puts the headlights on. With previous cars, they would come on with the headlights.

Good luck with your purchase. You won't regret it.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:39 AM
Club AutoUnion

Originally Posted by -hef-
- I am pretty steamed that I can't see my album art from my ipod. I have a 160GB classic, and even with the red grommet cable, I do not get art. All my previous cars with an ipod hookup allowed me to see album art.
I bought a used 2nd gen, 32Gb iPod Touch on eBay for $80 and have dedicated it to the car. Album art works like a charm.

Steve
Old 02-02-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Even after making my third payment I still love this vehicle. I get a big smile on my face every time I see it and every time I drive it.

My favorite things:
  • The way it looks (especially the color combo)
  • The way it drives (love the power)
  • I love the panoramic sunroof
  • The B&O Stereo rocks!
  • The carbon fiber interior
  • The fat steering wheel
  • The 21" wheel package

Little things that bug me:
  • Whenever i have it washed, water retains in the mirrors and drips out during the first drive
  • I had to add felt to the rear cargo cover to get it to stop rattling (at least this did fix it permanently)
  • Every time I get in I have to press the button so outside air does not circulate into the cabin (I wish it would remember my setting)
  • When I open a back door when all the doors are locked, it does not unlock all my doors (other vehicles I've owned did this)
Old 02-02-2014, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AudiFreak666
Appreciate the response, thank you.

One more thing, I do have a 2 year old as well...so if you have kids and an SQ5, how is that working out? I am just a little worried that the back is a little small for 2 car seats (whenever a second kid comes around). Any thoughts on that?
I am an Audi guy and want to stick with Audi for an SUV but I am not crazy about Q7's, and Allroads are not my thing...so the only logical purchase is the SQ5 to have as an "SUV" (i say that in quotes cause it is small) and keep the enthusiast part alive.
Just got mine a 4 days ago and installed a Maxi Cosi seat. I think you can have 2 Maxi cosis in the back without any problem, or 2 toddlers next to each other. I just packed 4 winter tires standing up next to each other in the trunk, if that says anything about the trunk space. Also doors, trunk compartments are much larger in this car than the A4/S4.

The funny thing with the SQ5 that I see it more as a small racing SUV. When/if you test drive one, use the paddle shifters, and you will see what I mean. Some impressive power in this car (and I came from a S4 if that says anything).

Anyway, hope it helps.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Dustin Fennell
  • When I open a back door when all the doors are locked, it does not unlock all my doors (other vehicles I've owned did this)
I just checked, and my Q5 unlocks all doors when I unlock a rear door. So this must be a setting in the MMI or vag-com...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5 Owner Update