A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

So, how much for a new front bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 06:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, how much for a new front bumper?

Am I the only one who has crunched the underside of the front bumper on everything from minor inclines to more serious hills? The clearance is problematic in most situations for me. Granted I'm a little aggressive at times, but even if I go slow in some situations I'm unable to avoid hitting the thing.

It seems like anything over a 20 degree grade is instant crunch unless I go super slow or angle the thing up/down. There is this one hill on the back roads to work that has a serious incline and I end up hitting the right side everytime going down it.

I went under the car the other day to check it out and the underside right edge of the bumper is basically gone. The thing is scraped down to whatever plastic is under it. I'm sure the part is a few grand. I'm just blathering really. I'm probably going to keep the car until it dies and I doubt I will avoid hitting the underside so it makes little sense to replace the thing.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:32 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

About $550 for a new front bumper cover plus paint and installation
Old 05-11-2006, 06:32 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Call Audi and see if the LQ service action has been completed.

If not, try to hit then up for a new cover under the service action.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:48 AM

Default Re: Call Audi and see if the LQ service action has been completed.

Hm? LQ service action? What are the details on this?

With regard to the cover. Is that referring to the lower section of the bumper? Is that part removable? Forgive my n00b ignorance.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default There was a known "defect' in the mounting of the bellypan under the car pre-2002

so there was a "service action" where they included a few more mounting points to raise the tail edge of the front bumper. This improves, but doe not eliminate, the ground clearance issue.

Consider yourself lucky...some have had their front bumpers totally ripped off the front of the car, with damage to the front fenders as well!

This happened to me a couple of weeks ago, and I think the town is going to cover the damage under their insurance. After all, it was the town's curb-cut in a driveway that was too steep, and caused this damage.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Tech Guru

Default If the cover is significantly damaged by a curb pull-off, LQ covers replacement of the cover.

But you'll have to fight for it. Do NOT bring it to Hoffman Service in East Hartford. They screwed me on LQ.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Not true on 2002 and later, and not necessarily true otherwise...

as my dealer stated:

If the car required the service action and it was NOT done, maybe.

If the service action was done, probably not, since the bumper was already "improved" with the service action. So in theory, any damage as a result of pulling over a curb would NOT be covered by Audi, since they already took the prescribed measures to prevent this damage.

Unfortunately for me, the service action is not applicable for the 2002. They already came from the factory with the "improved" mounting hardware.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:27 AM
Tech Guru

Well, the situations you mention are not elegible for LQ.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:57 AM

Default I checked on the LQ with the dealer...

and apparently I have no open recalls on the car so it was done at some point. I seem to remember having one incident where I caught the car on a low parking barrier but managed to get it off without much more than scrapes and since then I've been really careful about those situations.

As for the driving situations, scraping the thing just seems unavoidable on certain approach angles.

Oh and I go to Fairfield Audi in Fairfield, CT for service btw.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:00 AM

Thanks for this info btw...

Quick Reply: So, how much for a new front bumper?