Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Q on Audi audio system - system spec and upgraded speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q on Audi audio system - system spec and upgraded speakers?

Been googling but can't seem to locate what I'm looking for…

I have a '14 2.0T Premium Plus Q5… no B&O System.

Does anyone have a system diagram of the audio system, amp specs, and something that details the size and resistance of all the speakers in the Q5?

Sounds like most people look into swapping out the sub. Any suggestions on best bang for the buck in terms of other speakers in the vehicle?

Thanks!

Dave
Old 02-19-2014, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JL Audio makes some of the best subs on the market.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the stock speakers are good enough with upgraded subwoofers to get a little more thump to the bass.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiQ5sleeper
the stock speakers are good enough with upgraded subwoofers to get a little more thump to the bass.
Am I correct in saying the stock sub is a 6,5", 6Ohm speaker, and it fits in an enclosure that is 4" deep?

Anyone know what the rated sensitivity is for the stock subwoofer?
Old 02-20-2014, 04:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djdube525
Am I correct in saying the stock sub is a 6,5", 6Ohm speaker, and it fits in an enclosure that is 4" deep?

I think its a 6inch stock subwoofer, not 100% sure. it has been awhile since I touched the sound system. I have seen someone replaced the stock subwoofer before on this forum. check out the DIY section.

I am running a 10inch subwoofer which is visible in the trunk. I will be removing mine soon
Old 02-20-2014, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Will the bass stock radio get any better deep bass response from a better subwoofer? (Suggestions for brand & model?)

Or is it just that the base stock radio has no deep bass response? If I had to make a WAG I'd say it is a typical "craps out under 200Hz" system that couldn't drive better bass even if the speaker could, it just has that old familiar feel to it.

I know what good bass is...my old home system could literally rattle china with an accurate reproduction of genuine cannon fire in a high end recording of the 1812 overture. I don't expect that in my car, but to mangle a phrase, "there's no there here."
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Will the bass stock radio get any better deep bass response from a better subwoofer? (Suggestions for brand & model?)

Or is it just that the base stock radio has no deep bass response? If I had to make a WAG I'd say it is a typical "craps out under 200Hz" system that couldn't drive better bass even if the speaker could, it just has that old familiar feel to it.

I know what good bass is...my old home system could literally rattle china with an accurate reproduction of genuine cannon fire in a high end recording of the 1812 overture. I don't expect that in my car, but to mangle a phrase, "there's no there here."
Stock "subwoofer" in the plastic case housing the donut spare is a 6" woofer, about a $2-3 dollar unit wholesale, with a paper cone, no rubber surround, and a magnet about as big as a D battery cut in half. The only drop-in solution I found was a Bose driver located on eBay. It had a treated paper cone, rubber surround, and a large magnet about 4" around and 2" deep. It improved the bass somewhat; not a huge change, but tighter and a bit deeper. I think I paid about $30 including delivery. The only issue is that the mounting holes did not *quite* match up, but close enough so that I could use three of the four mounting screws, and there is a small round "tab" about 3/4" high on the plastic housing that needs to be removed (the stock driver has a hole in the metal basket that the tab goes through). Other than that, it's a 10-minute job tops.

My home theater features not one but two subwoofers, the second so that the back speakers can be run full range using the sub's internal crossover. So I, too, know what good bass sounds (and feels!) like.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by djdube525

No, it is a 6" driver rated at 2 ohms. The Bose I dropped in is 4 ohms; you can go higher but should never go lower so as not to strain (and possibly clip or even damage) your amp. Not sure re: rated sensitivity but the Bose driver goes plenty loud and is both tighter and deeper. BTW you cannot replace the plastic cover that "protects" the stock driver but since the trunk lid covers that entire assembly, it shouldn't be a worry. Not to me, anyway (just don't keep loose metal items such as screwdrivers that could shift and damage the replacement driver).

The one I bought resembles this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-OEM-Speaker-Woofer-Driver-For-Bose-Acoustimass-25-Series-II-Powered-Subwoofer-/261390147860?pt=US_Speaker_Parts_Components&hash=item3cdc112114
Old 02-20-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"you cannot replace the plastic cover that "protects" "

Blessed be the 3D printer, which is already dirt cheap compared to the first laser printers. Covers can always be fabbed in you really want to, even if that means chicken wire, hardware cloth, or stamped radiator cover grills from the hardware store. No big deal.

But since subwoofers are non-directional, in theory, there's no reason why you couldn't mount it in one of the rear side panels and get it *TF out of the spare tire.

Two ohm six inch...ought to be more specs than that though.
Old 02-20-2014, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
do u mean dropping in a new speaker in the OEM sub closure, or do you mean adding a whole new sub setup? if the former, don't bother. i dropped a Polk 6.75" speaker rated at 2 ohms (the B&O OEM sub is rated at 4 ohms) into the OEM sub closure, and i noticed very little difference. no overheating issues if you're curious - other people on the board did this successfully too. the OEM sub amp can handle the change in resistance without a problem.

if you mean the latter, then defintely. i followed someone else's instructions on the site for dropping in a kicker truck 8" sub and an amp under the spare cover. it is stealth and provides plenty of thump.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2860447

Last edited by -hef-; 02-20-2014 at 10:50 AM.

Quick Reply: Q on Audi audio system - system spec and upgraded speakers?