Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

It's the little things

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Can someone who has it post pics of the sunglass holder? Mine won't fit in it regardless (Oakley M-Frames) but I can't believe Audi would include it on a Prestige, but not on a Premium Plus.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:41 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Can someone who has it post pics of the sunglass holder? Mine won't fit in it regardless (Oakley M-Frames) but I can't believe Audi would include it on a Prestige, but not on a Premium Plus.
The Prestige has a different overhead console with full LEDs too.

Name:  null_zps043076dc.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  60.1 KB
Old 12-04-2013, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The OP believed he has done all the research before purchase but obviously he hasn't. To me test driving is the easy part. Any decent driver can come to that conclusion in 15-20 minutes. When I shop a car I sit in a showroom car and read the owner's manual for 30 minutes to fully understand the features, open and close all doors repeatedly 10 times to listen to the door clunking noise, check how the drivetrain is laid out in the engine bay and if there are electrical parts near the engine that may cause spark and fire risk. After that I approach the sales and ask for a test drive, and before getting too excited and drive the car, has the sales demo the features, touch and feel the workmanship, listen to engine noise at idle, and sit with me in the back to check rear shoulder room. It would be another 15 minutes before rolling the car off the lot with music off so I can focus on road, tire and engine noise. Then I'll go back to do a second test drive, when I turn on music and revalidate my first test drive. I keep a scorecard similar to those you read in car magazines, and after comparing with competitors then go and negotiate a deal.

Granted I have 7 Mercedes, 7 BMW and 7 Audi dealers within 35 miles radius (and they are all single brand so 21 dealers in total) so I can take the time and play off each other, not something that can be afforded by everyone.

Then I got a fantastic deal that I won't repeat here.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
The sunglass holder on the A6 is a joke, I can;t find a pair of glasses that the gf or I own that fit in the holder, basically a wasted feature.
Old 12-05-2013, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
The sunglass holder on the A6 is a joke, I can;t find a pair of glasses that the gf or I own that fit in the holder, basically a wasted feature.
Almost. There are actually two other uses. One, as I mentioned earlier, is if opened, it can act as a mini sun visor (like Audi used to provide as in my '02 allroad) to block out that small, sliver of space when the sun and car are positioned just so and two, a small pen, roll of Tums or Lifesavers fits nicely. Otherwise, I agree - it's pretty much useless for sunglasses, especially if they're in a case. Maybe it should be called the "Antacid/Candy" holder?
Old 12-05-2013, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
You must have a low trim level.
I have a 2012 A6 Premium Plus with the Cold Weather Package and the Side Assist Package.

The 2005 A6 was also a Premium Plus with the Cold Weather Package. It just looks like that AoA made enough inroads into the MB / Lexus markets that they have started to drop features which used to be in the packages.

Last edited by thehedge; 12-05-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by thehedge
I have a 2013 A6 Premium Plus with the Cold Weather Package and the Side Assist Package.

The 2005 A6 was also a Premium Plus with the Cold Weather Package. It just looks like that AoA made enough inroads into the MB / Lexus markets that they have started to drop features which used to be in the packages.
While a few things were dropped from earlier models, Audi added many other new ones. Technologically, the C7 is considerably more advanced than the C6. Since Audi has to remain competitive with other brands, particularly in the U.S., they make decisions on what features must be included and what others can be eliminated or made optional in order to hit targeted price points. Frankly, for me, the performance, design and technology of the C7 is so improved over previous series, I don't really miss the few things that were sacrificed. For example, both my 01 A6 and 02 allroad headlight washers stop working after a few years so I don't miss them at all. Nor do I miss the washer fluid splashing all over the hood and fenders ).
Old 12-05-2013, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by qqq1970
The OP believed he has done all the research before purchase but obviously he hasn't. To me test driving is the easy part. Any decent driver can come to that conclusion in 15-20 minutes. When I shop a car I sit in a showroom car and read the owner's manual for 30 minutes to fully understand the features, open and close all doors repeatedly 10 times to listen to the door clunking noise, check how the drivetrain is laid out in the engine bay and if there are electrical parts near the engine that may cause spark and fire risk. After that I approach the sales and ask for a test drive, and before getting too excited and drive the car, has the sales demo the features, touch and feel the workmanship, listen to engine noise at idle, and sit with me in the back to check rear shoulder room. It would be another 15 minutes before rolling the car off the lot with music off so I can focus on road, tire and engine noise. Then I'll go back to do a second test drive, when I turn on music and revalidate my first test drive. I keep a scorecard similar to those you read in car magazines, and after comparing with competitors then go and negotiate a deal.
Wow. I didn't even see the previous three cars I bought in person before ordering one (S6, S4, BMW 135i).

Originally Posted by keithl
My Persol's fit fine. Love the sunglass holder.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Mike_L
Actually, after doing some research, everything is there except the sprayers themselves. The pump is there and wired, and it does run. We can just get the sprayers and install them and the headlight washers will work. Looking for part numbers now.
Not sure that's true...you'd need some motors to physically move the small cover panels out of the way for the sprayers to do their jobs. As I learned the hard way when a chunk of tire hit my bumper, they just press-fit into place currently with a few retaining clips.
Old 12-05-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by qqq1970
The OP believed he has done all the research before purchase but obviously he hasn't.
As I stated in the original post, "My error. Didn't look for these beforehand" and it is just the little things.

As far as the headlight washers, the cutouts are there in the front bumper but I agree, I didn't test it. I did test the wipers and windshield washer but since even on the 2005, the headlight washers only activated every 6-8 times being on the same switch.

I asked about the button on the wiper stalk that is present in the older Audis to change the display and was shown how to use the steering wheel button to do the same action. Yes, the functionality is still there, just not as convenient IMHO.

The lack of display of the heating/cooling controls on the MMI was due to focusing and discussing with the salesman on how the controls work with the new layout of the heating/cooling panel. I almost walked away from this due to the change. In the 2005, the heating control had one know (per side) surrounded by 4 buttons (temperature, fan speed, vent position and seat warmers) which acted as the mode with the **** acting as setting for each. With the 2012, the **** is only for setting the temperature and the buttons have gone to the "press this button one or more times" mode. The seat warmer settings are much harder to see with just small indicator bars to show low/med/high setting. Again, I was looking at the way you manipulate the controls and not what "wasn't appearing" on the MMI.

The sunglass holder (and mine did fit w/o the case) was only noticed when I went to put my glasses in it when I arrived home. I have a 2003 Passat and had the 2005 A6 which both had the similar sunglass holder. There were several 2011 A6s that I have looked at since this summer and they all had it. It's now the time of year where I drive to work in the dark and drive home in the dark so the sunglasses don't get used much if at all. Looking through my owner's manual for the 2012, I don't even see it listed as a feature anymore.

Again, just a little thing and I'll find another location.

And yes, I have been researching and polling about 4 different dealerships and jumped at this one very quickly AND got a extremely good deal on it. It was traded in early after just over 9 months with less than 10K on the odometer. (The previous owner was moving up to an A7.) My initial look at it was before the dealership had even cleaned and prepped it which they don't normally allow people to do but I had been in enough times ove the past few months that they allowed it. On my initial look at the car, while sitting in it it flipping through the owner's manual, etc. I found a copy of the P/S from the previous owner for their new A7 in the center console, which also listed the trade in of this one that the dealer gave them. My advantage and I used it when negotiating my purchase price.

Quick Reply: It's the little things