A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

low speed wobble

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default low speed wobble

I've no idea of what is wrong with my A6 2.7t. I rebuilt the engine 2 years ago along with new CV joints. I recently developed a low speed wobble at aprox 20 mph. Between 15-25 is very noticable. When I get past 30, the wobble is barely noticable.

I checked my wheel hubs for play...no play. I checked my CV shafts for play and I had some up and down and rotational play on my drivers side whereas I had no play on the passengers side. I replaced my drivers side CV joint suspecting that that was the problem.....NOT

This started about 2 weeks ago from nothing to hello, I'm here to F with you. Pisses me off!

I've no idea of what to look for next, any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 09-20-2018, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

try moving wheels to different positions to see if the wobble changes. Might be bad tire or bent wheel. Another idea: get all 4 corners in air and start car to get wheels spinning slowly to look for wobble.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

It might be a bad tire. Jack up the car so all the tires are about half an inch off the ground. Rotate each wheel slowly, and look for a change in the gap between the ground and the tire. Usually an indication of a belt inside the tire that has come loose.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've rotated my tires with no change. I have noticed that my tires in the rear are worn on the inside corners. I am at the tire wear indicator tread marks and it could be tires. The thing that puzzles me is that it started like a switch. One day, the shake appeared out of no where? The car seems to rock from left to right?
Old 09-20-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Osmosis
I've rotated my tires with no change. I have noticed that my tires in the rear are worn on the inside corners. I am at the tire wear indicator tread marks and it could be tires. The thing that puzzles me is that it started like a switch. One day, the shake appeared out of no where? The car seems to rock from left to right?
Find another set of wheels and tires to swap onto your car temporarily. Ninety percent probability that it is wheels and/or tires.

Old 09-20-2018, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Sounds very much like a broken or slipped belt internal in the tire. Maybe more than one tire especially if they are all around the same age. How old are the tires? It would be easier to observe at a tire shop with the wheel/tire on the dynamic balancer. It would show up as a lump or maybe a wiggle in the tread when you spin the wheel by hand. Also the tire would be unbalanced. With the tire wear you described, how do the rubber bushings look in the suspension components? Trying to hit all the bases here.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that it is tires. I have nice Michelin tires on it but they are worn to the wear indicator marks. Time for some new tires as of next week. Will keep ya posted and TY for the replies