Q3 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q3 SUV

Q3 fog light bulb replacement

Old 10-25-2012, 01:49 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q3 fog light bulb replacement

Everytime I bought a new Audi, I have to replace the fog light bulb as it does not match the color temperature of the headlight. I just took delivery of the Q3 and, again replace the foglight bulb to match the color temperature of the headlight.

This forum have similar posting for other models but I have not seen one for Q3, so, I am posting this for Q3 owners who, like me, cannot stand the ugly, in my opinion, color temperature of the OEM foglight.

Of course, don't blame me if you break anything during the process.

For the Q3, the tool that comes with the car has a front foglight grill removing tool which makes it much easier. (see Q3-0 picture)

i) insert the tool into the tiny hole in the foglight grill (picture Q3-1)
ii) pull out with increasing but not excessive force to take the grill out. The grill is held in place by 7 clips (picture Q3-2a) and the entire grill, including the clips are palstic. Hence using excessive force could break the clips or run the risk of scratching the paint around the area.
iii) once the grill is removed you will have easy access to the foglight bulb. Take the wiring out by putting pressure on the release button (pic Q3-3b) and pull downwards.
iv) turn and remove the bulb
v) replace bulb and re-install everytthing. When re-installing the grill make sure that all the clips are in the correct place, you might have to stretch out the grill a bit to have all the clips (especially clips close to the center) in the correct place. Otherwise, pushing the grill in by force with the clips not in correct place could break the clips.

Pic Q3-3a show the 2 srews that holds the foglight bulb housing in place. Its not necessary to remove the housing but I found it much easier to unlock the wiring with the housing removed.

One more point, based on the owner's manual, the foglight bulb is H7, but after removing the bulbs, it turns out to be H11, same as previous Audis, so check and make sure that you are buying the correct bulbs. Don't just trust the manual.

Enjoy.
Attached Images      
The following users liked this post:
vicky_khan07@yahoo.com (03-28-2022)
Old 11-04-2012, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for posting. Added to Q3 Spreadsheet DIY.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Dunk,thanks a lot for your guide,very very clear (I've finally understand what the hell is that metallic tool! ). Just one question: What light temperature bulb did you buy to match the colour of the xenon bulbs? I've serched on Internet and the stock xenon bulbs temperature should be 4150 Kelvin (OSRAM XENARC® D3S 66340) ... I would like to match it also with led stripes,but I really could not find any information about them. Excuse my English

Best Regards

Daniele
Old 12-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good question. I have used 5000K for my previous A4 and used the same for my Q3. It matched the A4 nicely but somehow it appears to have a blue tint when used with the Q3. Maybe its because of the different brand as the previous one was Japanese made but its not avaliable anymore, so I used a Japanese brand but Taiwanese made bulb this time.

I also looked at 4300K bulbs which appears to be slightly on the yellowish side to me. So, the quick answer is, sorry, I don't know exactly for Q3 but I would say 4500-4800K.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I just changed my bulbs yesterday and I'm very pleased!!!
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2014, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just replaced mine. Much appreciated for the easy-to-follow tutorial. I had an A4 and A3 before and this was the easiest to install from all 3 cars. In case you were wondering, bulbs are from Hoen (xenon match bulbs): Hoen

The fogs match the xenon lights pretty well. But compared to the LED daytime lights, the LEDs are a slight bit whiter than the fogs. Much better than that stock warm OEM bulbs.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Sorry for bumping an old thread but just installed some DDM Tuning LED fog lights in my girls 2015 Q3 and now I'm getting warning lights for both fog lights anyone else have this problem?
Old 06-03-2015, 10:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

LEDs usually have different resistance than a standard halogen bulb. The car thinks the fogs are out. Just get a proper replacement in a different color hue if you are looking for looks
Old 06-08-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Went to Audi of San Diego and asked them about a replacement and they were no help, so went to DDM and they sold us some resistors and that solved the problem. Thanks for the replies
Old 08-06-2018, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

resistors supposed to be already IN the leds .. between them