A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Working fob programming instructions 1999 A6

Old 02-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Working fob programming instructions 1999 A6

I am posting this because I found hundreds of different instructional posts about this and none of them were correct. Here is a functional guide.

I bought these keys on ebay for less than 40$
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-New-Uncut-Flip-Key-Pair-Remote-Keyless-Entry-Fob-Clicker-For-4D0837231E-/111196866484?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19e3d987b4&vxp=mtr
2 New Uncut Flip Key Pair Remote Keyless Entry Fob Clicker For 4D0837231E

I found many posts on many forums stating that the trunk release wouldn't work on my car. Incorrect. Here is my programming guide.

The first thing that needs to be done is temporarily number the fobs. This is because they are tied to the seat memory. (if you open with fob 1 and the 1 position is programmed in the seat computer, the seat goes to p1. likewise for fob2/key2)

You really need two keys to do this but I didn't want to cut the blades before testing the keyless so I removed the door panel and found the two wires for lock and unlock. They are the middle two wires on the plug going to the lock assembly. (Green/blue stripe and brown/yellow stripe) One being lock and the other unlock. You just need a grounded wire and to remove that plug and jump. This allows you to leave your working key in the ignition if you only have one.

Here are the actual steps
1:With the doors unlocked, turn the ignition to run (not start)
2:lock the doors with the second key (or grounding wire) note: you do not need to hold in the lock position. Just locking it with the key in puts you in programming mode.
3: take the fob labeled 1 and press lock once (Lights will blink)
4:Wait 10 seconds and unlock then lock the doors
5:Press unlock on fob 1 (doors should unlock)
6:Open door remove key

To program fob two follow the exact procedure above EXCEPT!!!
Modified step 3:take the fob labeled 2 and press lock twice (Lights will blink 2 times)

You can have up to 4 fobs. There are 4 positions in the computer so fob three would be 3 presses and 4 would be 4. (note: 5 presses erases that fob from memory)
Old 02-24-2014, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FYI

There is another way to program or reprogram FOB's in vagcom too with extra features.

Aside from having the key cut the RFID chip needs to be adapted to the immobilizer and that is done at the dealership unless you take the existing RFID chip capsule out and place it in the new FOB.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

BTW, the RFID chip has nothing to do with the FOB remote functions.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jcman
There is another way to program or reprogram FOB's in vagcom too with extra features.

Aside from having the key cut the RFID chip needs to be adapted to the immobilizer and that is done at the dealership unless you take the existing RFID chip capsule out and place it in the new FOB.
Yeah, I read about the VAGCOM ways but I don't have a VAG. I don't really see the need. I paid $50 for my code scanner and it tells me why my CEL is on just the same. The only thing I can't do with mine is recode modules. To me all that means is, if I need a replacement ECU, it has to come from the same year/eng/trans combo. I know you guys are all about it but I can do anything with mine that I will ever need to do. If I had a newer CANBUS car the VAGCOM would be a lot more desirable.

1999 A6 doesn't have an immobilizer. I'm not sure 2000 did either. (I think 2000 was the split year for immobilizer) Here is some great data on cluster, IMM, and basically anything that has to do with the cluster.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...ibility-issues
Old 02-24-2014, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I see, the difference is that vagcom can recode the convenience module to do other functions like no beep on locking or roll the windows up or down with FOB including the sun-roof and to reprogram FOB's.

You're right with the cluster IMO year but the key/fob has to communicate to allow a secured start, I have more info on that to share so bear with me unless someone else has it now.
Old 02-24-2014, 05:48 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I see, the difference is that vagcom can recode the convenience module to do other functions like no beep on locking or roll the windows up or down with FOB including the sun-roof and to reprogram FOB's.

You're right with the cluster IMO year but the key/fob has to communicate to allow a secured start, I have more info on that to share so bear with me unless someone else has it now.
Yes and those things would be nice. When I bought my scanner I was just trying to get a $1000 A6 back on the road. Now I'm rollin with key fobs.

I do not think that is correct. Until now, I never had a key fob and my key is not one with the W on it. I have no RFID chip. I called my locksmith to verify. It's just a plain HAA blade and, it's working.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep 99 and some 2000's don't have the RFID chip, my 2001 old car and 04 current do.

But anyways I do have this interesting link for you...and no I'm not trying to sell you on vagcom, you will see what I mean with that comment.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer
Old 02-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yep 99 and some 2000's don't have the RFID chip, my 2001 old car and 04 current do.

But anyways I do have this interesting link for you...and no I'm not trying to sell you on vagcom, you will see what I mean with that comment.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Immobilizer
Great info for this thread.
The Ross link has been invaluable to me.

I've seen some conflicting information on Immobilizer programming with VAG during my research. Is there a functioning step by step?
Old 02-25-2014, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sounddude
Great info for this thread.
The Ross link has been invaluable to me.

I've seen some conflicting information on Immobilizer programming with VAG during my research. Is there a functioning step by step?
What conflicting info are you concerned about?
Unless your considering remote start or a new cluster.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

What conflicting info are you concerned about?
Unless your considering remote start or a new cluster.
I just thought that since this thread is about fobs and IMO, maybe (even though I don't need them for my car) it would be good to have working instructions for both VAG programming of keys as well as coding the IMO with VAGCOM. I'm good, my car works great and I have no need for IMO instructions at this time.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Working fob programming instructions 1999 A6