So what are the chances of VW or Audi selling TDI engine cars in CA in 2006 or 07

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what are the chances of VW or Audi selling TDI engine cars in CA in 2006 or 07

with the introduction of ultra low sulfur diesel fuel next year?
Old 09-02-2005, 07:28 PM

Default Re: So what are the chances of VW or Audi selling TDI engine cars in CA in 2006 or 07

I have asked that question to Audi in USA, but they do not have any idea if a TDI is coming. The general answer is no because of Audi's bad experience back in the 80s. I also sent an email to Audi Germany, but have yet to get a response. I get the feeling that the only way to get Audi to offer a TDI is to unite as a community and put pressure on the manufacturer.
Old 09-15-2005, 09:36 AM

Default I read that with hurricane Katrina, that ULSD is on the back burner right now

For the lazy

"White House Directs Refineries to Postpone Maintenance, Forget ULSD
8 September 2005
The Financial Times reports in its 8 Sep edition that the White House has told US refiners to postpone all scheduled maintenance in a drive to maximize gasoline and diesel production.

The instructions come in the wake of the latest DOE forecast of an average price for oil of around $70 per barrel in September ($67 in the event of a very fast recovery from Katrina; more than $72 in the case of a slow recovery).

Washington has also told refiners to stop producing ultra low-sulfur diesel to increase gasoline output, according to the report.

A senior executive from a big refinery in Houston said: â€oeThe message from the government is: â€<sup>~</sup>run the refinery as high as you can and avoid all the non-priority maintenance in the next four or six weeksâ€<sup>TM</sup>.”

A Louisiana refiner said: â€oeThe White House said: â€<sup>~</sup>Forget about (ultra) low-sulphur diesel. We need gasoline and diesel. We need you working 100 per centâ€<sup>TM</sup>.”

New regulations on producing ultra-clean diesel were due in January but are now likely to be postponed, refiners said.

Postponing maintenance is a dangerous gameâ€"especially when running at full capacityâ€"that can lead to serious accidents. Reducing fuel quality standards may make sense in a very short term emergency, but in the long-term would have negative impacts not only on public health, but also on the engines and exhaust systems that are being (expensively) developed anticipating the availability of clean fuel."<ul><li><a href="http://www.greencarcongress.com/2005/09/white_house_dir.html">Click Me</a></li></ul>