A7 Discussion forum for the Audi A7

Anyone considering the Porsche Macan?

Old 01-06-2014, 09:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone considering the Porsche Macan?

I have to upgrade my A7 in a year, so I've been looking at different options. It doesn't seem like a natural competitor, but I'm interested to test drive the new Porsche Macan. Curb weight, performance and cargo-volume of the Macan S are similar to the Audi A7. Equally equipped, pricing comes out similar as well.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by amelen
I have to upgrade my A7 in a year, so I've been looking at different options. It doesn't seem like a natural competitor, but I'm interested to test drive the new Porsche Macan. Curb weight, performance and cargo-volume of the Macan S are similar to the Audi A7. Equally equipped, pricing comes out similar as well.
Dont you mean similar to the Audi Q5?
Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It doesn't seem like a natural competitor, but I'm interested to test drive the new Porsche Macan.
At some point a see a Porsche in my future, however, it probably will not be the Macan.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NaplesQ7
Dont you mean similar to the Audi Q5?
I guess it is similar to the Q5 (or more-so SQ5), but it seems more appealing to me than either of the Audi products. It sits much lower to the ground and the driving dynamics are going to be closer to the A7 than Q5.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not something I'm considering, but I know they're going to sell a TON of them...
Old 01-06-2014, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

First time poster.

I was thinking about upgrading my daily driver to A7 then saw Macan photos and specs from LA auto show. I decided to put A7 on hold till I test drive Macan.

I am also thinking about Macan S. As you already mentioned price is similar to A7, thanks to Porsche's expensive option pricing system.
Old 01-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I thought long and hard about the Cayenne Diesel when I pulled the trigger on the A7 in the fall. Drive really impressed me - I have to imagine the Macan S will be fantastic as well.

That being said, I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of buttons on Cayenne. Instead of using an MMI type interface where everything is controlled by a half dozen buttons, the Cayenne seemingly had an individual button for everything. Extremely cluttered - I imagine the interface with the Macan will be the same. I also question the rear seat comfort in the Macan (can it hold 3 people, what is leg room, etc.)?

good luck with your decision
Old 01-06-2014, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tertak
First time poster.

I was thinking about upgrading my daily driver to A7 then saw Macan photos and specs from LA auto show. I decided to put A7 on hold till I test drive Macan.

I am also thinking about Macan S. As you already mentioned price is similar to A7, thanks to Porsche's expensive option pricing system.
Back seats seem a little more comfortable than on the A7 (which is the reason I would be selling my 2012 A7 to begin with - need 3 seats in the back). I'm curious to see how the gas milage and performance figures look. If anything, my A7 feels a bit slow. On paper, the Macan 0-60 is 5.2 while the A7 is 5.4, but I'd be interested to see real-world numbers. Both Audi & Porsche are known for under quoting their engine specs and 0-60 times.

The Macan Turbo also seems very appealing, but with options, would be more than I'm willing to spend.

Last edited by amelen; 01-06-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by RookieWill
I thought long and hard about the Cayenne Diesel when I pulled the trigger on the A7 in the fall. Drive really impressed me - I have to imagine the Macan S will be fantastic as well.

That being said, I was overwhelmed by the sheer number of buttons on Cayenne. Instead of using an MMI type interface where everything is controlled by a half dozen buttons, the Cayenne seemingly had an individual button for everything. Extremely cluttered - I imagine the interface with the Macan will be the same. I also question the rear seat comfort in the Macan (can it hold 3 people, what is leg room, etc.)?

good luck with your decision
Macan diesel is going to be priced below the gas-engine versions. I still prefer gas engines, but might be a really good value. Then again, the A7 also comes in a diesel now.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by RookieWill
After test driving the Q5, A4 allroad, MB 350E Wagon, BMW 3 wagon, Cayenne Diesel and A7TDI we (my wife) also narrowed the selection down to the Cayenne and A7 and went with the A7 because of the better handling. (identical TDI engines). It was close as the Cayenne has way more luggage capacity (63ft^3 vs. 49ft^3 for the A7). Very happy with our choice so far.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone considering the Porsche Macan?