A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Explain the "Big Difference" between Audi and VW (long)

Old 11-27-2002, 06:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain the "Big Difference" between Audi and VW (long)

Down below there is a post about how there's such a big difference between the two. I guess you could say that I'm getting perturbed about the way some people on this website downplay VW's. Just what makes the A4 that much better than the Passat?

I'm currently in a B5 Passat and I'm looking into the A4. I'll be loosing about 4 inches in leg room for the backseat riders and it feels like a couple inches in width. I'm 6 foot and 215 pounds. I love the look of the A4, but I'm concerned about how comfortable I'll be. Plus, I've been lurking here for a month or two and I've heard quite a bit bad press from you guys about your cars. Bad sunroofs, bad dealership service, radio problems, etc. I've not had one and I mean not one problem with my VW. Over 60K now. I've test driven both the quattro and the front-trak and have not been "wowed". Even at the Audi dealership, the salesperson even told me that the Passat and A4 are basically the same. So I'm thinking of just getting a new Passat 1.8T loaded with front spoiler, side skirts, rear diffuser, sport springs, etc. I can get all this for about the same as the A4 1.8T Front-trak. I know about the service warranty. I like it. Definitely a selling point. But, I am looking for real responses. I want to be sold on the A4.

However, I have a fire extinguisher to battle the flames.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:12 AM

Default Warranty, Interior Material Build Quality, Exterior Paint Quality...

But it all depends on presonal preference... IMO the new A4 is a better looking car. The passat is just now finally using the old A4 B5 body so it's like a new car but old styling? Just make sure your final decision is based on your personal preference.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default I disagree, the two main differences are QUATTRO and Prestige.......

I have had multiple VW, two passats, and three Jettas and the warranty is now the same, the build quality from vw is up to Audi standards, they both have squeaks here and there. The main difference to me has been the quattro...IT ROCKS!! and the prestige, you get treated as a much better customer than you would at a VW dealer because the VW salespeople are looking for volume sales while Audi salesmen give a little more quality.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:18 AM

Default Well

The dealer was telling you something that isnt true... the passat is on the B5 platform, the A4 is a totally new platform that isnt used on any other car... the A4 is A LOT safer... look at euro NCAP figures... this is scientifically documented.

As for handling, I suppose its down to the person, but I definitely find the A4 to be much taughter, even in non sport.

As for reliability, its the ignition coils which have caused most of the discontent here, shouldnt be a problem in this years models.

Squeaks and rattles, there have been some issues with the sunroof and rear seats.... however, other squeaks tend to be spread out..as you would expect in any line up with lots of cars being produced, there are none in our 13 month old car (apart from one which ive heard occasionally on hard acceleration... and im not sure if thats something lose in the glove box, havent got round to checking yet.)

Ive heard a lot more squeaks in other cars, this was touted as a strong point... it seems to be those two issues on the whole which makes squeaks and have solutions.

You really have to push to take advantage of quattro, but even the front trac handles well, I mean, well, no torque steer, well balanced, infact amongst the best balanced FWD out there.
In the end only you can tell what you like the feel of.

its newer design, fresher, interior is better quality, passat is getting dated and soon to be replaced.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Never drove a passat, but the quality/material diffs between other vw's and audi's are night and day

I don't think i could go back and be happy.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:21 AM

Default whoa!!! Interior of VW.. compared to Audi... Whole notha ballpark.

I've owned a VW and been in multiple new passats.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:23 AM
jjl

Isn't VW's 4motion exact same technology as quattro?
Old 11-27-2002, 06:26 AM

I thought the 4 montion was a haladex(sp?) system like the system on the TT not like the A4s
Old 11-27-2002, 06:27 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You are correct sir.
Old 11-27-2002, 06:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I agree with TCM

Having come from a FWD Passat, the difference is not as great as a lot of you would like to think. The interior of the Audi is perhaps cleaner and more "plush" but certainly not leaps and bounds beyond the Passat. As much as one would like to justify the heavier price of the A4 by arguing that it is entirely different and significantly better than VW's current products, I would have to disagree. To be honest, when people ask me what kind of car I drive I often find myself saying VW. Not that I'm not proud of the fact that I now have an A4, I just don't have the disdain that many fellow audiworld'ers have for VW.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Explain the "Big Difference" between Audi and VW (long)