A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Water pump leaking, cam tensioner in trouble

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 07:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump leaking, cam tensioner in trouble

2001 A6 avant. water pump leaking water., obviously needs replacing --

Son drives our 2.8 A6, a car which i like quite a bit. Last sunday, he parked the car after the coolant warning lights went off. Then had the car towed to the audi dealership, thinking one of the hoses was gone, and it would be a quick and easy fix there (while i was away home for a few weeks).

Dealer called, and said the leak is at the water pump. It was replaced during the last timing belt change, with parts from Blauparts. It been about three years, and i was thinking of doing the next timing belt change this summer, but i was thinking i'd do it when i was ready, not because the car's been sidelined.

I would think a water pump would last more than three years, tho, and i know i've seen ppl ponder the quality of the blauparts kits, but as i recall, its been more focused at the belts. Have there been water pump failures? Three years seems a bit premature to me. Should i consider blauparts again for the timing belt kit, or should i go elsewhere? ECS? Dealership? Whats the current best-practice recommended?

During that last timing belt change, we also replaced the cam chain tensioner's pads. The dealership said the engine was running rough, and said the cam chain tensioners need replacing. When i get back to the car, i'm going to take a close look at both, but if they look in good shape, how can you diagnose a failure here, or do they just not fail? I was reading the other thread about the 2.8 cam tensioner's, but i'm not sure whether in that thread they really needed replacing, in the end.

And if one needs replacing is it best to replace both, or are failures here very unusual?

The dealership claimed the primary reason for failures was infrequent oil changes, but this car has had plenty, so i'm a bit suspicious about their claimed-cause for these parts.
Old 04-12-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by emptys
2001 A6 avant. water pump leaking water., obviously needs replacing --

Son drives our 2.8 A6, a car which i like quite a bit. Last sunday, he parked the car after the coolant warning lights went off. Then had the car towed to the audi dealership, thinking one of the hoses was gone, and it would be a quick and easy fix there (while i was away home for a few weeks).

Dealer called, and said the leak is at the water pump. It was replaced during the last timing belt change, with parts from Blauparts. It been about three years, and i was thinking of doing the next timing belt change this summer, but i was thinking i'd do it when i was ready, not because the car's been sidelined.

I would think a water pump would last more than three years, tho, and i know i've seen ppl ponder the quality of the blauparts kits, but as i recall, its been more focused at the belts. Have there been water pump failures? Three years seems a bit premature to me. Should i consider blauparts again for the timing belt kit, or should i go elsewhere? ECS? Dealership? Whats the current best-practice recommended?

During that last timing belt change, we also replaced the cam chain tensioner's pads. The dealership said the engine was running rough, and said the cam chain tensioners need replacing. When i get back to the car, i'm going to take a close look at both, but if they look in good shape, how can you diagnose a failure here, or do they just not fail? I was reading the other thread about the 2.8 cam tensioner's, but i'm not sure whether in that thread they really needed replacing, in the end.

And if one needs replacing is it best to replace both, or are failures here very unusual?

The dealership claimed the primary reason for failures was infrequent oil changes, but this car has had plenty, so i'm a bit suspicious about their claimed-cause for these parts.

Either get OEM audi water pump or try FCP euro or groton…I think they have a lifetime parts warranty. won't help on labor, but at least you'd get a new water pump.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

I've got the same issue regarding the leaking water pump on my 2001 A6 Quattro 2.8L. Replaced it with a Blauparts unit during the timing belt change approximately 20,000 and 2 years ago. Pump started leaking and I've yet to replace it, but when I do, it'll be with something other than Blauparts. Think I'll go the long dollar with Audi.

I have had issues with front end control arms, too. Had to replace the set I put on a couple of years ago when they started making squeaking and clacking noises turning and going over any rippled pavement. Drove me nuts. I put on a set from a place with lifetime warranty and so far so good. I guess you really do get what you pay for...

Don't know what to tell you about the timing chain tensioners, but it's been my feeling that rough running is usually plug wire breakdown or vacuum line disintegration both relatively common problems with the 2.8L. Always check out the simple stuff first. Tensioners would be way down my list of rough running causes, but I've been wrong before...
Old 04-13-2014, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Zaphodb17
I've got the same issue regarding the leaking water pump on my 2001 A6 Quattro 2.8L. Replaced it with a Blauparts unit during the timing belt change approximately 20,000 and 2 years ago. Pump started leaking and I've yet to replace it, but when I do, it'll be with something other than Blauparts. Think I'll go the long dollar with Audi.

I have had issues with front end control arms, too. Had to replace the set I put on a couple of years ago when they started making squeaking and clacking noises turning and going over any rippled pavement. Drove me nuts. I put on a set from a place with lifetime warranty and so far so good. I guess you really do get what you pay for...

Don't know what to tell you about the timing chain tensioners, but it's been my feeling that rough running is usually plug wire breakdown or vacuum line disintegration both relatively common problems with the 2.8L. Always check out the simple stuff first. Tensioners would be way down my list of rough running causes, but I've been wrong before...
Key with control arms is installing them in a neutral position, i.e., they should rest with no bushing twist at the installed height.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well, since this wasn't my first rodeo so to speak with control arm installation, I was careful about installing them in the proper manner, i.e. at ride height before tightening the thru bolts.

The problem was the utter crap metallurgy this manufacturer used for the outer lower ball studs turned rusty and then pounded out the low grade sockets. Again, my fault for buying not even low range parts, but what I though would be decent quality as I paid about 2/3s of what the top $$ control arms go for. Just for the hell of it, I saved the old ones in case anyone wants the type (so they can avoid them) and or to inspect them.

So, Caveat Emptor...