A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission Issues

Old 04-09-2014, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The estimate says:

Perform transmission service including filter kit and gasket and then flushing the fluid.
SYN TRAN FLUID $122
ATF FILTER KIT $53
TRANS CONDITION KIT $32

Labor - $188

Good? No good? I'm clueless...
Old 04-09-2014, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Chief#16
The estimate says:

Perform transmission service including filter kit and gasket and then flushing the fluid.
SYN TRAN FLUID $122
ATF FILTER KIT $53
TRANS CONDITION KIT $32

Labor - $188

Good? No good? I'm clueless...
WTF is a trans condition kit?
It's about a two hour job if the guy is any good at all, most of it is draining/dropping the pan and replacing the filter and pan.
Old 04-10-2014, 03:26 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm not sure what that is.

It shows two hours of labor on the estimate.
Old 04-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It happened three times again tonight.

Warm day, driving for more than an hour, sitting in traffic, then very hard shift from 3rd to 4th. It felt like the engine could have dropped onto the road.

No engine or transmission codes. I guess the only thing left is trying to change the transmission fluid/filter. My mechanic talked me off the ledge yesterday, but if this doesn't work, I'm saying good-bye.
Old 04-10-2014, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Oh I don't know. Replacing a transmission could/should give you a couple hundred thousand miles and some pleasure for 4-6 k $. The car loses tat or more on a trade in...very few people will buy a car knowing it needs a trans. I put a new trans in an 02 S6 at 100k...expensive but a better deal than a 50k new car.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:58 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

I had my guy pull the codes. He found NO transmission issues at all.
I'm having a hard time believing this. Did he scan the trans or just the engine? What tool was used?

I'd want a second opinion before I did anything.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think the guy is pretty good. He found one code - and trans fluid was dark but not burnt. Found a P0117 fault on the temp sensor and recommended I replace it.

I looked back at an older estimate from the dealer. It says the "secondary radiator fan shorted and not working causing other fans to run excessively". Another dumb question, but would that cause the issue I'm experiencing (hard shifting only when the engine is warm, outside temp is warm, and accelerating after sitting at a traffic light).
Old 04-11-2014, 06:20 AM
Tech Guru

I think the guy is pretty good. He found one code - and trans fluid was dark but not burnt. Found a P0117 fault on the temp sensor and recommended I replace it.

I looked back at an older estimate from the dealer. It says the "secondary radiator fan shorted and not working causing other fans to run excessively". Another dumb question, but would that cause the issue I'm experiencing (hard shifting only when the engine is warm, outside temp is warm, and accelerating after sitting at a traffic light).
Fluid is always dark. I don't think that this problem is mechanical. It is possible that the TCU is losing power? Bad TCU? Wet? Any codes in ABS or other areas? When you restart the car, does the TCU reset?
Old 04-11-2014, 06:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry - what's TCU? I experience no other issues, really. Runs great, until it's hot....
Old 04-11-2014, 06:34 AM
Tech Guru

Transmission control unit. Whenever it goes into limp mode (which is an controller state, not a mechanical situation), it should store a code. The only reason I can think of why it would go into limp mode but not have code stored is if it is off. So if there really are no codes (which I am having a hard time believing, as I mentioned) the unit is powered off.

This aligns with a heat issue. Maybe there is a control relay or something that heats up and cuts out? But even if the "shuts off" theory is correct, there should be ramifications with other control units; they have to be looking around trying to figure out why the TCU shut down.

So basically, I'm concerned about your shop. I'd want a second look from someone else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Issues