A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

VAG diagnostic tool

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 07:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
I've been on this forum a long time, but I've never seen a thread harder to follow than this one. Hulsey, please quote and reply to the person you are responding. It looks like you are carrying on a conversation with yourself. ...or maybe you are?
Yea seems like i am
Old 04-08-2014, 08:13 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Hulsey920A6
Yea seems like i am
That worked. First post that you have threaded correctly. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2014, 12:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 172 Likes on 162 Posts

So, evidently you are trying to get a safety inspection for a car that has been rebuilt from a salvage title. If that's all you need (no CEL showing), then spend the $20 for the cheapo cable and turn the CEL off, call the inspector, and spend the $118 for the inspection.

If you live in one of the counties that has an emissions inspection, and they have migrated to OBDII hookups as a means of checking whether or not your car conforms to their regs, then, at that time, by all means, spend the extra money on a full tilt VCDS setup, or sell any VAG products that you own.

Old 04-11-2014, 08:28 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by georgeb944
So, evidently you are trying to get a safety inspection for a car that has been rebuilt from a salvage title. If that's all you need (no CEL showing), then spend the $20 for the cheapo cable and turn the CEL off, call the inspector, and spend the $118 for the inspection. If you live in one of the counties that has an emissions inspection, and they have migrated to OBDII hookups as a means of checking whether or not your car conforms to their regs, then, at that time, by all means, spend the extra money on a full tilt VCDS setup, or sell any VAG products that you own.
I was told the CEL doesnt matter for the safety inspection, just srs and abs have to come on and turn off after a few seconds like it should. i just dont want to spend the 118 and it fail for the CEL for any wierd reason. And i live in the sticks so no emissions inspection. Thanks
Old 04-11-2014, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I was told the CEL doesnt matter for the safety inspection, just srs and abs have to come on and turn off after a few seconds like it should. i just dont want to spend the 118 and it fail for the CEL for any wierd reason. And i live in the sticks so no emissions inspection. Thanks
Who is telling you this? A GA LEO? Can you show a link or anything that requires a safety inspection other than a cop who pulls you over and gives you a ticket for 'inspection?"

I looked on the net for any GA inspection requirements, they're only for emissions in certain counties. Whoever is telling you you have to have an inspection should also tell you what the inspection requirements are in writing and where they can be found. Otherwise any safety inspection is just vague and arbitrary on the whim of the 'inspector.'
Old 04-11-2014, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Ive tried calling multiple places that do the inspection, and tried calling the actual state officials and no one seems to have a legitimate answer
What is the name of the place that does the 'inspection?' Does the 'place' have a list of things that are being checked? Every state vehicle inspection facility I've ever seen has a list of about 20-40 things that are checked including all lights, warning lights, all vehicle controls, some even include brake pad or shoe lining thickness and rotor thickness.

When I lived in VA I just punted every couple of years and slapped a new set of pads on the brakes if I didn't have 5mm or more left. The inspector would see new pads and not even bother with the rotor thickness if they weren't' grooved. That went away when the inspection sheet changed to require a specific measurement number coupled with the OEM minimum thickness requirement. For Audis, that just about requires a new set of rotors every inspection because the wear limit from the OEM is only 1mm per surface.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
Who is telling you this? A GA LEO? Can you show a link or anything that requires a safety inspection other than a cop who pulls you over and gives you a ticket for 'inspection?" I looked on the net for any GA inspection requirements, they're only for emissions in certain counties. Whoever is telling you you have to have an inspection should also tell you what the inspection requirements are in writing and where they can be found. Otherwise any safety inspection is just vague and arbitrary on the whim of the 'inspector.'
The tag office. An inspector actually comes out to my house. The car is salvage rebuilt so i cant get it tagged until the safety inspection is passed. And the tag office nor the office where i set up the appointment seems to know the answer of what exactly the guidelines are.
Old 04-11-2014, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Call the guy out to your house. When he gets there, explain to him your situation. Be particularly detailed about everything. There's a very good chance that this is not his first rodeo. listen to what he says, and follow any instruction he may give you. The inspector may take pity on you, and navigate you to the proper resolution to your issues. Also, you live in GA, offer the fellow some bbq, that should straighten things right out.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:10 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by blink
Call the guy out to your house. When he gets there, explain to him your situation. Be particularly detailed about everything. There's a very good chance that this is not his first rodeo. listen to what he says, and follow any instruction he may give you. The inspector may take pity on you, and navigate you to the proper resolution to your issues. Also, you live in GA, offer the fellow some bbq, that should straighten things right out.
I have to pay by card when i make the appointment for them to come out.
Old 04-12-2014, 03:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

if you just want to clear codes get a vag com cable from ebay ......

Quick Reply: VAG diagnostic tool