S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Non-Launch Control takeoffs?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 08:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-Launch Control takeoffs?

So what techniques are available for launching the car under those intermediate conditions - say when you would run the revs up a bit before letting out the clutch vs a full power clutch drop (which equates to launch control I figure).

In thinking back to my S-tronic analysis, I realize I spent almost no time on non-Launch Control launches - I worried most about dynamic driving, tried launch control, etc. In hindsight, there's no excuse really, I should have tried all these, but I didn't.... I understand there's no paddle-controlled Neutral

Can the S-tronic be brake torqued? (I.e. hold foot on brake, rev engine, remove foot from brake)

Can the S-tronic be neutral-dropped? (I.e. place shift lever in N, rev engine, place shift lever in D)

Of course when I say "can" I mean "can this be done and get a more powerful/abrupt takeoff" - I'm sure these operations can be performed, but if the computers kill the power when they're done then that's not what I'm after

TIA!
Old 01-17-2014, 04:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
So what techniques are available for launching the car under those intermediate conditions - say when you would run the revs up a bit before letting out the clutch vs a full power clutch drop (which equates to launch control I figure).

In thinking back to my S-tronic analysis, I realize I spent almost no time on non-Launch Control launches - I worried most about dynamic driving, tried launch control, etc. In hindsight, there's no excuse really, I should have tried all these, but I didn't.... I understand there's no paddle-controlled Neutral

Can the S-tronic be brake torqued? (I.e. hold foot on brake, rev engine, remove foot from brake)

Can the S-tronic be neutral-dropped? (I.e. place shift lever in N, rev engine, place shift lever in D)

Of course when I say "can" I mean "can this be done and get a more powerful/abrupt takeoff" - I'm sure these operations can be performed, but if the computers kill the power when they're done then that's not what I'm after

TIA!
No, cannot do left foot braking (due to ecu limiting) and I doubt you would want to. I think it would cause more damage to clutches than a computer controlled LC anyway.
I've never even thought of a neutral drop but I sure as hell wouldn't try that either. The quickest launch you can get, short of doing LC, would be to have your left foot on the brake and your right foot hovering on the gas. When ready, immediately lift off the brake and depress the gas. Vroom
Old 01-17-2014, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

launch control saves your transmission since it does not launch in peak tq it is well beyond it, if you want to hook up don't just punch it you will spin the tires. launch control is there for a reason, no only do you go faster but it lets your cars clutch last longer.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sciblades
launch control saves your transmission since it does not launch in peak tq it is well beyond it, if you want to hook up don't just punch it you will spin the tires. launch control is there for a reason, no only do you go faster but it lets your cars clutch last longer.
Since I'm a 3-pedal guy at heart, I'm just looking for a way to get the equivalent of a moderate launch. At one end we have ease the clutch out with just enough gas to roll off, at the other we have rev to peak power and sidestep the clutch. In S-tronic land: Launch control to me sounds like the latter, take foot of the brake and press the gas sounds like the former.

Today when I need a bit quicker takeoff, I rev up and slip the clutch - maybe 1500-2000rpm and a little clutch slip. What's the S-tronic equivalent of this? Just stomp the gas and hope?
Old 01-17-2014, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

ive never felt the need to use LC in my b8 s4 or the s6, not even once yet. im curious to see what the lc counter reads through vag com, if there are any launches recorded, it has to be service dept or valet guys having fun. I raced an IS-F the other day, 2 times in a row from a stop light 0-100ish, both times I pulled from the start and demolished the IS-F by bus lengths by 100. just floored it at green, no lc.

Last edited by mikec7s6; 01-17-2014 at 02:50 PM.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

I dont know if its just my car or my technique, but my car "feels" faster when I just floor it from a light in "s" mode on the transmission than doing LC.

The one time I did LC I felt like the car hesitated and then bogged and then took off. Maybe I have to try it again but it didnt feel right.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I definitely feel like launch control is faster, but with the transmission in dynamic sport mode, flooring it from a stop yields nice results.
Old 01-18-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4
I dont know if its just my car or my technique, but my car "feels" faster when I just floor it from a light in "s" mode on the transmission than doing LC.
My quarter mile time dropped almost a full second using LC. I think it makes a difference, although I generally don't use it on the street (it's still pretty damn quick by just flooring it).
Old 01-18-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
My quarter mile time dropped almost a full second using LC. I think it makes a difference, although I generally don't use it on the street (it's still pretty damn quick by just flooring it).
I'm not surprised. Its the equivalent of reving up a few thousand RPM's in a manual and putting it in gear, vs. just putting in 1st and flooring it.
Old 01-18-2014, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter

Was this experiment on a track using their timing equipment, or one of the performance logging boxes? I ask because I only gained about 0.5s with L/C..

Quick Reply: Non-Launch Control takeoffs?