A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaking

Old 06-10-2015, 10:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shaking

At the start of the day the car will shake. Nothing unbearable but annoying, I thought the wheels needed rebalancing but they were fine. After a long drive it will stop but after sitting while at work it will shake again.
Sitting in the passenger seat you can tell it is from the front end.
No clunking or anything.
Sway bar links?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts

Upper control arm bushings are most always your starting point. If more than 50-75K miles on them, it is safe to assume they are cracked and worn. Hundreds of posts on them. Weakest part of suspension. They are more a predictable wear/maintenance item even using dealer or OES (Lemforder) parts; lots of aftermarket junk out there BTW. They are not remotely life of car or very high mileage only. Yes on sway bar links too, past about 75K miles. But probably not your primary issue. They are relatively cheap if you go with Lemforder OES instead of dealer--$65ish for the pair. They won't typically cause vibration and shake though like control arm bushings, but can cause some noise.

You do also describe something that could be flat spotting of summer tires, more so on a cold morning or day. Older or suspect tires? If it takes only few minutes to run normally, maybe. Otherwise, focus on bushings. Again if by miles my info is valid--50-75K on a quality dealer/OES set--pretty easy conclusion on upper control arm bushings, and it is inevitable with miles anyway to do the job and keep ride smooth and crisp.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 06-10-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cstarky15
At the start of the day the car will shake. Nothing unbearable but annoying, I thought the wheels needed rebalancing but they were fine. After a long drive it will stop but after sitting while at work it will shake again.
No clunking or anything.
Sway bar links?

Could you please provide more details? Is it shaking while stationary or in motion? If in motion, at what speeds? Does the steering wheel shimmy when it happens?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cstarky15
No clunking or anything.
Sway bar links?
Don't assume it is from the front end.
I recently had a wobble issue which lessened with speed.
I was sure it was from the front left. It turned out to be a broken belt in rear right tire.
You issue doesn't sound like this as it seems to go away once engine is at operating temp (?)

If it's more of a vibrating-shudder then there are lots of discussions here on that.
Is it a side-to-side shake ? or a shudder ? does it remain constant at any speed ?

you always think wheel bearing, tires, tranny, alignment, bent rim, etc
when talking about shakes and shudders