engine is reving 4000 rpm at 60 mph

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 08:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Staying in 3rd all the time="Limp Home" mode.

ok, so thanks to austinado16 we can rule out limp mode. now that only leaves 100 other things it could be. HA HA HA you got love fee cars. you get what you pay for!
Old 08-27-2006, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default No, I don't have any experience with them.

Sorry, wish I could help you more, and please, don't think I'm an authority. There are others here with alot more experience and knowledge with these transmissions.

You can pay the dealer about $100 to run the codes, maybe less if they want to be cool.

Or, if you want to work on you own stuff, spend that money and buy a VAG-COM code reader for your car and use your own laptop.

Search the forum archive for more info on this setup. It's what everyone here buys and it's my next "tool" purchase.....along with the Bentley book on CD.
Old 08-28-2006, 06:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Limp mode is when the dash display for PRND321

is all on (PRND321 is all lit up).

<b>"yes it is going into fourth i can count the shifts"</b> Are you watching the tach as it shift from one gear to another?

If this car was a <b>free bee</b> then spend a few buck to find out what is wrong with it, otherwise just sell it.

Limp mode means that the car start off in 3rd gear and stays in 3rd gear without ever shifting. It was supposed to let the owner <b>LIMP</b> home or back to the dealer.

<b>"so limp mode means that your care drives completely normal except the engine revs high in fourth. that doesn't make cents to me can some one explain"</b>
Where did you ever get this idea from?

<b>"The engine revs high in fourth"</b>
It's reving high because it is still in 3rd.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:04 AM

Default I don't get it, the car was free what are you complaining about?

Bring it somewhere to pull the codes and you'll know whats wrong quick, if your lucky. Even if you have to dump some money into the car to get it to run it still sounds like a good deal.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:39 AM

Default your either rich or stupid.

so if something is free it is ok too spend money on it? but it its not ok to go to the forum and try to find the out what the problem is your self?
Old 08-28-2006, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default First off newbie don't start calling people stuipd on this forum. You're the one asking for

help and it appears that if you don't like what people are telling you, you get offended.

<b>"yes it is going into fourth i can count the shifts. and if it was not going into fourth wouldn't the trany be at alot higher rpms than than 4000 at 60 mph"</b>

If it was in 4th gear then the engine wouldn't be running at 4000 at 60 mph. So there are only two choices left to choose from
1. you are not going 60mph or
2. the engine is not at 4000rpm. If your car was in 4th gear as <b>you believed.</b>

Base on your remarks <b>"if it was not going into fourth wouldn't the trany be at alot higher rpms than than 4000 at 60 mph"</b> what would you calculate the rpm to be?
If it was in 4th gear I calculate that the rpm should be around 2750 at 60mph.

And if you show 4000 rpm and you are in 4th gear then I calculated that your car should be traveling at about 75mph based on 195/65/15 tire.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Man, that is not cool to come on here and call someone stupid

If you wouldn't say it to a person's face and risk getting punched, don't say it from behind your key board.

How'd you like your future posts to go unanswered because you've instantly earned the reputation of being rude?
Old 08-28-2006, 10:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 92 100S PRND123 display all lit up and stayed in 1st...

I didn't go outside and look but the display in the instrument cluster that shows you what gear your in will normally light up D if it is in drive, R if it is in reverse, etc. I think it has the characters PRND123. Anyway, from what others are saying, if all of the characters are lit up, then the car is in "Limp Home" mode.

However, last week, I was driving my wife's 100S which is basically the same as my 96 A6. After stopping at a store, I started the car, left the parking lot, and then noticed that the car wouldn't shift out of first gear. It was then that I noticed that all of the characters in the drive display were lit up which I had never seen before. I pulled into a parking lot and tried shifting to reverse, drive, etc. but nothing changed. I could only drive in first or reverse. Then, I turned off the ignition and then started the car again. The display returned to normal and the car drove normally.

I can only guess that some sort of sensor or electrical connection shorted or opened up causing the computer to put the trans into safe mode. I don't know why it was stuck in first since all of the posts mention that the transmission stays in third when in Limp mode. When it happened to me, it was definitly in first.

I don't know if there are any kind of 'latching' OBD codes for the tranny that won't go away unless you clear the codes. It might be possible that the OBD detected a problem and put the tranny in Limp mode. My A6 gets a latching EGR error if I drive the car at high speeds for over 8 hours. There is nothing wrong with the EGR valve, there is just some sensor somewhere that thinks there is. The latching code for the EGR valve causes the Check Engine light to stay on until it is reset.

I think that some auto parts supply houses will check codes but I don't know if they will clear them. I think Autozone is one of them.

You might be able to resolve the problem as easily as clearing the code if there is one.

David
Old 08-28-2006, 12:16 PM

Default I could really care less what you think of me..

I can see you being mad about a car you purchased being unreliable, that would make anyone mad; but complaining about a car that was free seems pretty shallow.

What I meant was even if you have to put $500 (estimate) into the car to get it going its still only a $500 car. People on here have actually paid money for cars knowing they were going to have to perform work on them and complained less.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default There is a lot of people here who can help you, but first you need to learn how

your car works. Take notes, read the manual ( you need to know where the transmission display is).If you don't describe your problem accurate, we can't help you.

Quick Reply: engine is reving 4000 rpm at 60 mph