S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Coolant level warning

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 04:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant level warning

FYI - If you get this - get it in to the dealer asap..

I thought I was dealing with a small problem as the coolant level warning only came on when cold and went away as soon as the engine warmed. I eventually took it down to the dealer and they wanted to keep the car, gave me a nice Allroad as a loaner..

First update was a leaky o-ring on the thermostat - but they needed it over night.. ended up two nights...

First notes were: Rubber line to T-stat pin hole and is leaking/pressure testing/ lifted car found coolant leaking from rubber line to t-stat, removed t-state to remove and replace leaking line, filled coolant system and test drove..

Then the other notes were a little more concerning:

Coolant lines to turbo hardened and leaking / pressure tested / cooling system holding pressure. Performed visual inspection found coolant filling the valley between cylinder heads. Found coolant lines to turbo leaking. Removed and replaced coolant line seal and oil line seal to turbo. Filled cooling system and test drove..

Anyone with a mechanical background want to comment on that one? (S7 is 13 months old)
Old 02-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Wow, really? That's not great, but glad they found and fixed the problems.
Old 02-02-2014, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Mcqueen
Then the other notes were a little more concerning:

Coolant lines to turbo hardened and leaking / pressure tested / cooling system holding pressure. Performed visual inspection found coolant filling the valley between cylinder heads. Found coolant lines to turbo leaking. Removed and replaced coolant line seal and oil line seal to turbo.
I would be concerned too. First reason is that Audi is using rubber cooling lines in a high temperature area. Second reason is that all S6/S7's are going to have the same result.

You may of had a defective hose since if heat was the cause, there would be many more reports of coolant leaks.
Old 02-11-2014, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tenspeed
I would be concerned too. First reason is that Audi is using rubber cooling lines in a high temperature area. Second reason is that all S6/S7's are going to have the same result.

You may of had a defective hose since if heat was the cause, there would be many more reports of coolant leaks.
Any more information on this issue? I'm getting ready to take a long road trip (Chicago to San Antonio, over to Tucson, up to north Idaho and back across to Chicago) with my S7 and these things always stick in the back of your mind to worry about.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's been fine since - I wouldn't worry about it unless you get a coolant level warning- and then I'd get it in the shop pretty quick.. I drove it for a couple of weeks just thinking it was low when it was cold, but then the coolant warning light would go off as soon as the fluid warmed up and expanded.
Old 02-12-2014, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mcqueen
It's been fine since - I wouldn't worry about it unless you get a coolant level warning- and then I'd get it in the shop pretty quick.. I drove it for a couple of weeks just thinking it was low when it was cold, but then the coolant warning light would go off as soon as the fluid warmed up and expanded.
Thanks a lot for the quick update. I will definitely keep an eye on it.