Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Cold Temperature Issues

Old 01-27-2014, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Temperature Issues

I have a 2014 A6 TDI (which I absolutely love), but now that winter has hit, I'm noticing some issues when the temperature is around 20 F and the car has sat a few hours.

First issue, when I start the car, it says "Left turn/rear light/brake light out" (or something to that effect). I've checked the car the first couple of times this occurred and all the lights were operating correctly.

Next issue is the front parking camera is non-operational, flashing a blue screen. If I sit there for a while, it seems to be buffering images until it catches up. But if I move out of what is buffered, it begins flashing again. Sometimes it starts to work correctly after it warms up, other times not so much.

I just went through my 5k service and they couldn't find anything wrong, but the service manager mentioned that another TDI owner was having the same issue as the first one. He was waiting to hear back from Audi technical support on that.

Just curious if anyone else is having these sorts of issues with their Audi. It doesn't diminish my love of the car, just an annoying niggle.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:51 AM
Banned

The first thing I would check is the battery. The glow plugs usually kick in when starting at 40 degrees or colder. Also, the lower and higher temps do affect charge. If you have a battery tender, see if that helps overnight.

I think another thing you can try is to press the engine start button without your foot on the brake. This should turn the glow plugs on. Do this once or twice and then do it with your foot on the brake as normal.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rift
I have a 2014 A6 TDI (which I absolutely love), but now that winter has hit, I'm noticing some issues when the temperature is around 20 F and the car has sat a few hours.

First issue, when I start the car, it says "Left turn/rear light/brake light out" (or something to that effect). I've checked the car the first couple of times this occurred and all the lights were operating correctly.

Next issue is the front parking camera is non-operational, flashing a blue screen. If I sit there for a while, it seems to be buffering images until it catches up. But if I move out of what is buffered, it begins flashing again. Sometimes it starts to work correctly after it warms up, other times not so much.

I just went through my 5k service and they couldn't find anything wrong, but the service manager mentioned that another TDI owner was having the same issue as the first one. He was waiting to hear back from Audi technical support on that.

Just curious if anyone else is having these sorts of issues with their Audi. It doesn't diminish my love of the car, just an annoying niggle.
I've had some of the same issues with my 2014 Prestige 3.0. I've seen the brake light issue twice now. Both times it was below 10 degrees. Last week a new one appeared. While driving a "headlight range sensor" error popped up. I was able to park, turn the car off and back on and it cleared and hasn't reappeared. Love the car. But the electrical gremlins are a little annoying.
Attached Images  
Old 01-27-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Rift:
I have the same issue with the turn signal (except mine is left side). Happens only when its cold. The service department has opened up a case for it and will let me know next week.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Well glad to know I am not alone with this, just a shame we have to deal with it.

I am hoping to hear back from my service manager this week and will post any follow-on information I get.
Old 01-28-2014, 03:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just had my 2014 TDI in for the "left brake/turn signal/tail light out" issue when it is cold. I left it with the dealer and they reproduced the light. The Audi tech line say to clean all the wire connections and see if it comes back. I'm traveling so my car is sitting in the cold for 5 days so it will be interesting to see if I get the warning.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Banned

Out of curiosity, do you all have LED headlights?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I similar electric gremlins. I took video and photos of all the errors and also when the MMI screen was doing weird stuff while park assist was engaged. I sent all the photos and videos to Audi care so they would be documented by AofA. I also burned them on CD and gave them to service manager at my dealer. They were super grateful. I should find out tomorrow if they were able recreate any of the errors.
Old 01-28-2014, 08:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2dwww
I do.
Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by in2dwww
I have front LED lights too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cold Temperature Issues