S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

BBK For Rear Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK For Rear Wheels?

As you know the electric parking brake on the rear wheels of the S4 has eliminated our ability to install BBKs all the way around our cars. I'd like to thank the below gent who has found a way around the issue. The unfortunate caveat is your parking brake will be rendered inoperative. Some may voice opposition to this. Justifiably so? It's a personal decision. Hopefully I'm installing a BBK on all four wheels of my 8.5 next week and will be able to double check the procedure success.

Doug Schuler
Apikol -Performance Automotive Components
303-731-3571 - office
866-505-4126 - fax
www.facebook.com/Apikol
www.apikol.com

I was able to fully delete the rear parking feature on my customer's B8 S4 with the following steps:

1. Unplug Rear Brake Control Module
2. Remove Parking Brake from Module Gateway via Vag-Com
3. Change instrument cluster coding to remove Parking Brake

After those changes, there were no lights illuminated in the dash, and no issues noticed during driving. However, there were 4 modules (engine, trans, etc.) that had a fault code for missing brake module. I suppose it would be possible to change the coding in those modules (like I did in the instrument cluster) to make them ignore the missing brake, but since there were no lights on the dash, I didn't feel that is was necessary.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well I guess since your thread on Audizine got locked by the admins your only choice was to try here too?! Must be a glutton for punishment, though I don't think people will freak on here like they did on 'zine.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Joe85STi
Well I guess since your thread on Audizine got locked by the admins your only choice was to try here too?! Must be a glutton for punishment, though I don't think people will freak on here like they did on 'zine.
Gosh, a follower! Since you enjoy implying bad news why don't you tell everyone why it was blocked?
Thanks
Old 04-13-2014, 04:39 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Not trying to insult at all, really don't think it's that big of a deal losing the e-brake on an auto, especially where you live. To elaborate on the reason for the locked thread on Audizine....people are ridiculous and it's the internet, thread got out of hand, or as that great Ron Burgundy once said, "that escalated quickly".

On a serious note, good look with the BBK all around, report back how it feels!
Old 04-14-2014, 04:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Welcome to the forum...

Who's BBK are you going with? Link to rears... I went with JHM LW slotted rears to compliment my Brembo BBK upfront and it works great... Stockers weight 17.2 lbs per rotor and the JHM's weigh 11.5 lbs per rotor so a nice 5.7 lbs savings per... The rears don't do enough IMO to justify a BBK but it's your car... As for the e-brake I wouldn't do it as I always use it even on my DSG car(probably not needed), mostly out of habit because most of my other cars are and have been stick...

Are you going to make a post to discuss your headers? I would love to see some strip times from you...
Old 04-14-2014, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by primetime
Welcome to the forum...

Who's BBK are you going with? Link to rears... I went with JHM LW slotted rears to compliment my Brembo BBK upfront and it works great... Stockers weight 17.2 lbs per rotor and the JHM's weigh 11.5 lbs per rotor so a nice 5.7 lbs savings per... The rears don't do enough IMO to justify a BBK but it's your car... As for the e-brake I wouldn't do it as I always use it even on my DSG car(probably not needed), mostly out of habit because most of my other cars are and have been stick...

Are you going to make a post to discuss your headers? I would love to see some strip times from you...
I'm planing on Brembos all around. Never really thought about rotor weight, thanks for the tip, I'll try and weigh them to get a difference. Yes, I plan on getting it to a 1/4 miles strip soon. Knee surgery, Easter weekend and the BBK install have slowed down that event.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Skywagon
I'm planing on Brembos all around. Never really thought about rotor weight, thanks for the tip, I'll try and weigh them to get a difference. Yes, I plan on getting it to a 1/4 miles strip soon. Knee surgery, Easter weekend and the BBK install have slowed down that event.
Thanks
No problem... You'll love the Brembo's as they are beautiful and work great... Even though the fronts are much bigger at 380MM I still saved 8 lbs per corner between the rotor, caliper, carrier, etc. The stockers weighed 41lbs total and the Brembo's 33lbs...

Good luck with the surgery as that is never fun... At least it's a dsg car so you can drive it~

Also, when you hit the strip you should PM ElRomano on vendorzine as he is in your area and goes... It would be a good comparison as he has similar mods minus the headers... Here are some links from my runs against two different header cars and me on HFC's... All other mods were similar on both cars and both cars were running 18's vs me on 19's... I went 11-2 in 13 head to head races... Not trying to be a dick about the heades as I know your happy and whats done is done but figured I would share...

Mods:
Me - 2010 S4 – APR tune, pulley, CPS, 034 HFC’s, Miltek non-res exhaust, custom intake, Brembo BBK, JHM LW rear rotors, BBS CHR wheels, H&R sways, and Alu-Kruez

Jeff - 2012 S4 – GIAC tune, GIAC DSG tune, pulley, meth injection, Eurocode longtubes, AWE resonated exhaust, roc-euro intake, VMR wheels, ECS rotors, Eurocode USS setup, Alu-Kruez, H&R sports, and SPC adj. control arms (correct me if I’m wrong on any mods bud)

My Car: 2010 Audi S4 - DSG with sports dif, 5,875 miles, 1/8 tank of gas, tools and spare removed

Mods: APR tune, APR pulley, LFC's, miltek non-res exhaust, custom intake, APR CPS, front and rear sways, Alu Kruez, Brembo BBK, BBS CHR's, tire pressure 36F 32R

His car: 2011 B8 S4 - DSG no sports dif and about 1/8 tank of gas

mods: Apr tune, pulley, longtubes, miltek exhaust, apr intake, 18inch bbs wheels and gutted interior of about 230lbs

Old 04-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Primetime,
Very nice runs. However, correct me if I'm wrong, on most of the videos showing two cars you definitely were off the line first. I think you'd agree you have a much better technique at the start? Headers? Well, after looking at the difference at the start it appears I need every mili-second advantage I can muster! Thanks for posting the videos.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Skywagon
Primetime,
Very nice runs. However, correct me if I'm wrong, on most of the videos showing two cars you definitely were off the line first. I think you'd agree you have a much better technique at the start? Headers? Well, after looking at the difference at the start it appears I need every mili-second advantage I can muster! Thanks for posting the videos.
Yes, I had better reaction time in almost all cases but I ran a better ET in 11 of the 13 races regardless of reaction time which is not figured into ET... Shoot me a PM before you hit the strip and I'll give you some tips if you are interested... Also, not saying this is conclusive evidence but it's what I have and unlike most who criticize or make comments I try to have data to support my positions which I think you appreciate...
Old 04-14-2014, 11:32 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by primetime
Yes, I had better reaction time in almost all cases but I ran a better ET in 11 of the 13 races regardless of reaction time which is not figured into ET... Shoot me a PM before you hit the strip and I'll give you some tips if you are interested... Also, not saying this is conclusive evidence but it's what I have and unlike most who criticize or make comments I try to have data to support my positions which I think you appreciate...
I'd assume you're using launch control. My car is a 2014. My launch control allows only 3000 RPM and the engine shifts a 6250 RPM, whether you want it to or not. Alleged APR is working on a fix?
Thanks

Quick Reply: BBK For Rear Wheels?