S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

LED CONVERSION FOR FRONT TURN SIGNAL

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED CONVERSION FOR FRONT TURN SIGNAL

I was finally able to remove the bulb from the OEM base for the turn signal. See pics attached for mod...

I used BMW PY24W LED indicator lights, removed them from the base and soldered longer pins. This next step requires a lot of patience, carefully remove the bulb WITH the surrounding holder from the base that attaches to the harness. You can use a small pry tool to gently lift it out, it is designed to come out if you do it right. Then using a hot glue gun I inserted the LED bulb and attached it to the base while guiding the pins through the base. Attach harness to the base and insert it back into the headlight housing and that's it! I did not receive an error on the instrument panel and it blinks at the normal rate that it should. Any questions, let me know.
Attached Images    

Last edited by MAC159; 03-01-2014 at 07:43 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sounds easy enough. I've been trying to do this since forever. a few questions for you. Where did you purchase the longer pins that you attached? I'm assuming that this mod was pretty easy since you didn't write any complications that you encountered. Additionally, was getting to the bulb through the hood difficult? Any tips? Finally, I guess the fit was good and the bulb did not touch any interior parts of the headlamp assembly. You should take some pics to show it installed, maybe a video too : ) Thanks for posting this on the forum!
Old 03-05-2014, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Sounds easy enough. I've been trying to do this since forever. a few questions for you. Where did you purchase the longer pins that you attached? I'm assuming that this mod was pretty easy since you didn't write any complications that you encountered. Additionally, was getting to the bulb through the hood difficult? Any tips? Finally, I guess the fit was good and the bulb did not touch any interior parts of the headlamp assembly. You should take some pics to show it installed, maybe a video too : ) Thanks for posting this on the forum!
No prob, thanks. Sry it wasn't too detailed, tried to keep it simple. For the pins, I purchased 2 LEDs from radio shack for less than $2/ea (see pic). I cut them off and soldered them on where the original pins were. To access the factory bulbs you have to remove the headlight and the 2 metal access panels using a torx bit. The hardest part was actually removing the bulb from the OEM base. To do this, I used a corn on the cobb holder to pry it out lol, any small pry tool will work. I tried just lifting the bulb out but that wouldn't work, you have to remove the bulb with the surrounding holder from the base. The rest was cake, just attach LED bulb with silicone or a hot glue gun and insert back into housing. There was plenty of room and did not touch any parts inside the housing. I was trying to post a video but wasn't sure how to do it, youtube maybe?
Attached Images   
Old 03-06-2014, 02:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Pics and video or it doesn't work!!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for posting back. I was looking at iJDMtoy.com and came across this

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/CAN-bus-PY2...-p/sku-431.htm

Wanted to purchase this and start your mod. They also have a plastic version.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Can-bus-BMW...24w-led-2s.htm

Was separating the LED from the plastic base difficult? Did you just pull or use a screw driver? Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to do some research before going all in. FYI. I talked to the importer for the Japanese bulb that is $250+

http://balanceit-tuning.com/products/accessories.html

He said that the he couldn't lower the price even on a group buy. So at least I tried.
Old 03-06-2014, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jones2012S4
Pics and video or it doesn't work!!
I can def take more pics, what do u need help with?
Old 03-06-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by wrestrepo
Thanks for posting back. I was looking at iJDMtoy.com and came across this

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/CAN-bus-PY2...-p/sku-431.htm

Wanted to purchase this and start your mod. They also have a plastic version.

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Can-bus-BMW...24w-led-2s.htm

Was separating the LED from the plastic base difficult? Did you just pull or use a screw driver? Sorry for all the questions, just wanting to do some research before going all in. FYI. I talked to the importer for the Japanese bulb that is $250+

http://balanceit-tuning.com/products/accessories.html

He said that the he couldn't lower the price even on a group buy. So at least I tried.
They prob charge that much bc each OEM bulb is $50 plus the LEDs $30-40 and the time to do it.

Yea I tried the same thing $250 def not worth it, I removed the base by using a razor blade to cut through the glue by working it around between the base and led until it was loose. At that point you can twist it off until the pins snap, it doesn't matter where the pins break from bc you have to solder longer ones for the OEM base ( I purchased 2 LEDS from radio shack for that and cut them, see other pic) These are the ones I purchased from ijdmtoy:
Attached Images  

Last edited by MAC159; 03-06-2014 at 06:28 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here is a video of how it looks:

Old 03-06-2014, 05:40 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Looks badass!
Old 03-06-2014, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks, you gonna put them in?