A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission Issues on 2.4L V6 (A6 C5 2001)

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Dude it takes like an hour and a half at most. Get real seriously. Just because it takes you hours and hours doesn't mean people who actually do it for a living take that long. And You guys are high if you like the petty half a quart the temperature range makes will alter transmission shifts like hes describing. These things can be 2 quarts low and operate nearly the same.

If you actually read the directions about how to service these, they state do not check or add if fluid is higher than 104F because its MUCH worse to underfill than overfill obviously, And being that iv done like, hundreds of these trans services over many years with no issues and smooth great shifts, they take a hair under 6 quarts of fluid. the length of time it takes to pump the remaining 2-3 quarts in while its running easliy makes it above being stone cold.no where does it say it HAS to be right AT 104F to check level, it cant be HIGHER than 104F to do it for risk of underfill. If you wait till the 104F temp, its takes like 5.5 quarts instead of 5.8 lol.... wow big deal especially when its capacity is almost 10 quarts total. that whole .3 of a quart will just ruin it....insert eyeroll here...
Alright Prospeeder, you got us by the ***** here. We have been following DIYs to drain and refill as per some enlightened souls who paved the way before us. We don't have garage lifts so, that takes forever just to get the car up leveled and safe. Yeah, the actual job takes only few minutes to drain, clean, replace filter, gasket, pan and then oil. But, we don't a have a dedicated space to clean things so, improv takes time....

all that and the fact that we are doing this as hobby and not for living also adds time. It's all good. But, your point is well taken regardless.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Dude it takes like an hour and a half at most.
Does that include cool down time after he drives in it?

And You guys are high if you like the petty half a quart the temperature range makes will alter transmission shifts like hes describing. These things can be 2 quarts low and operate nearly the same.
My experience has been different.

If you actually read the directions about how to service these, they state do not check or add if fluid is higher than 104F because its MUCH worse to underfill than overfill obviously,
Confused. "MUCH worse to underfill" but "These things can be 2 quarts low"
This seems like a contraction.

To do this job right, my experience has been that the car needs to be dead cold so that you have enough time to get the fluid pumped in before the temp rises out of the measuring range. And I'm sure you know that it takes *forever* for these units to cool down.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Does that include cool down time after he drives in it?

My experience has been different.

Confused. "MUCH worse to underfill" but "These things can be 2 quarts low"
This seems like a contraction.

To do this job right, my experience has been that the car needs to be dead cold so that you have enough time to get the fluid pumped in before the temp rises out of the measuring range. And I'm sure you know that it takes *forever* for these units to cool down.
Use a cheap electric fuel pump. The time it takes is almost perfect while pumping the last bit in. If you have removed that much fluid, washed the pan, and installed, and pumped cold fluid in, I don't think it needs to be stone cold, but I wouldn't try to do one after you just drove it 50 miles lol...

And i didn't say being 2 quarts low is fine and dandy but most people hardly notice any difference in operation being low, just that its leaking, or leaving oil spots. And being this is now happening months later, i don't think its because the guy didn't adhere to the temperature bs. Maybe its leaking, and finally got low enough to affect operation. The drivers side axle seal will leak ATF. I have seen where people use rubber gasket instead of the factory paper one and it distorts the fluid pan and they leak.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 01-01-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
So you waited around for many hours while the ATF was drained, the pan dropped and cleaned, the filter replaced, the pan reinstalled and the ATF filled. Then engine was started, trans cycled through all gears, ATF filled to overflow, trans cycled again, and all of this while ATF temperature was being monitored not to exceed 40C? Patient divil aren't you?
Yea, i was there the whole time; although, he didnt check the temperature though...maybe thats why the fluid might be low
Old 01-01-2014, 05:09 PM
Tech Guru

Use a cheap electric fuel pump. The time it takes is almost perfect while pumping the last bit in. If you have removed that much fluid, washed the pan, and installed, and pumped cold fluid in, I don't think it needs to be stone cold, but I wouldn't try to do one after you just drove it 50 miles lol...
I should have noted that I wasn't arguing the 1.5 hours to do the job. I think it takes me about that much time without hurrying.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Why is it necessary to have the temperature at 40c when changing the transmission fluid?

(Just being curious)
Old 01-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Tech Guru

Originally Posted by pbriones
Why is it necessary to have the temperature at 40c when changing the transmission fluid?

(Just being curious)
Audi (well, really ZF, the trans manufacturer) specifics that level should be set when trans fluid is between 35 and 45 degrees Celsius as measured by the transmission temp sensor and read via computer (for Audi, this is VAG-COM). This window can be smaller than you might think, as it tends to occur as the car warms up at idle. IIRC, it's about a five minute window.

Basically you fill the trans cold. As the temp comes up and the internals of the trans and the fluid expand, fluid rises and overflows out the fill pipe. When the temp gets into the range (I shoot for about 38, the trans is capped).

However, if the trans is not shifted through the gear or if the temp goes too high before the fill pipe is capped, the level can be low. Over time fluid can leak (not common). This is why any transmission issue should be investigated by checking the level and pulling any trouble codes in both the ECU and TCU.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Tech Guru

Yea, i was there the whole time; although, he didnt check the temperature though...maybe thats why the fluid might be low
Pull codes, check fluid level. Basic first steps.

If you have the shop do the fluid check (not my recommendation), leave the car overnight so it is cold when they get it.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Audi (well, really ZF, the trans manufacturer) specifics that level should be set when trans fluid is between 35 and 45 degrees Celsius as measured by the transmission temp sensor and read via computer (for Audi, this is VAG-COM). This window can be smaller than you might think, as it tends to occur as the car warms up at idle. IIRC, it's about a five minute window.

Basically you fill the trans cold. As the temp comes up and the internals of the trans and the fluid expand, fluid rises and overflows out the fill pipe. When the temp gets into the range (I shoot for about 38, the trans is capped).

However, if the trans is not shifted through the gear or if the temp goes too high before the fill pipe is capped, the level can be low. Over time fluid can leak (not common). This is why any transmission issue should be investigated by checking the level and pulling any trouble codes in both the ECU and TCU.
Thanks for the quick response; im going to purchase the vag-com soon
Old 01-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Tech Guru

Thanks for the quick response; im going to purchase the vag-com soon
Achtung!

If you remember one thing and nothing else from this thread, remember that trans fluid is measured with the car running! This matters (a lot) because fluid settles into the pan as soon as you kill the engine. If you try to check or add fluid with the car not running, you will dump at least a quart (probably 3) of fluid onto the floor. Never remove the fill plug with the engine off.

Quick Reply: Transmission Issues on 2.4L V6 (A6 C5 2001)