A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do you think it's worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What do you think it's worth?

I have a 05 A8L with 111K on the clock, 19" wheels, tires have less than 1K on them, I keep up with the maintenance and have done the timing belt at 77K along with plugs and coils, always changed oil at no more than 8K. The exterior and interior are both in very good condition; bright shine and no major scratches. The car has been solid, just thinking of down sizing to a newer A6. My question is, anyone have any idea what I should expect to get for a trade at an Audi dealer? Would I get more from a non-Audi dealer? Thanks.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Trade

Originally Posted by Mike141
I have a 05 A8L with 111K on the clock, 19" wheels, tires have less than 1K on them, I keep up with the maintenance and have done the timing belt at 77K along with plugs and coils, always changed oil at no more than 8K. The exterior and interior are both in very good condition; bright shine and no major scratches. The car has been solid, just thinking of down sizing to a newer A6. My question is, anyone have any idea what I should expect to get for a trade at an Audi dealer? Would I get more from a non-Audi dealer? Thanks.
You will get hosed by a dealer on a trade no matter what flag they are flying. Sell it on eBay and then make your best deal on the A6.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While the new A6 looks like a baby A8, it's not. Once you get inside your hands will inform you that the quality of materials and switchgear is a step below an A8. It's not a bad car but just be prepared to be slightly disappointed after owning an A8.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have access to up-to-the-minute Manheim rates. You're looking at around $9000 wholesale and $13,000 retail for your specific car.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Went to non Audi dealer nearby test drive an 05 A6, not a bad car...liked the way it handled and drove but realized it's no A8. This one had no options and salesman had actually no clue whatsoever on how to work anything in the car. They offered me $7000 for my car, I was not really liking the A6 they had anyway, wanted a newer one but come on, I'll just hold on to it for that price.
Old 12-31-2013, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 582 Likes on 488 Posts
Default If you can afford it...

and want to be on the next smaller platform, look at a C7 A6. As a long time C body owner (1, 3, 4 and 5), I think the C6 was not the best effort. C7 is much more with it, while C6 is sort of a cheapened combo of both a C5 and a D3. A few things as examples--the cheapened open door pockets, and the Chevy S10 style quasi 70's aluminum slab look to the instrument panel with the MMI display just kind of plopped in there. It is also pre-MLB platform, while a D4 or a C7 gets you to the newer platform designs. In plain English, that means more packaging efficiency and somewhat better chassis set up on newer ones. The D3 gets part way there in that it was the first one (IIRC) to get the torque converter behind the front diff. That reduces the front overhang basically by the width of the converter. Audi kind of re wrote history later to try to identify it w/ the A5/S5 when those were launched, but it actually goes back to the D3. On the C's, the sometimes saying is the odd numbered ones are really the breakthroughs/big steps (3, 5, 7), while the even ones are more modest.

Net if I were looking for more bells and whistles from a D3, I would either go to D4 or to a nicely equipped C7. Of course there is the A/S 7 flavor too that some favor. But not my cup of tea, and I'm not a big fan of paying a price premium (a la BMW) for a coupe look for what is really mostly the same stuff underneath when built as the sedan counterpart.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-31-2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Went to non Audi dealer nearby test drive an 05 A6, not a bad car...liked the way it handled and drove but realized it's no A8. This one had no options and salesman had actually no clue whatsoever on how to work anything in the car. They offered me $7000 for my car, I was not really liking the A6 they had anyway, wanted a newer one but come on, I'll just hold on to it for that price.
$7000 is robbing you on trade. The number I gave you should be the lowest a dealer would offer you, because it's what they can buy it for at auction today. You'd have no trouble selling that car on Autotrader or Craigslist for $15k.
Old 12-31-2013, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealers use the "Black book" which isn't available to consumers.

You're best estimate of value is Edmunds TMV (true market value).

I can personally guarantee with internet sales as low as they are, the trade-in value is about what you will get if you sell it privately.

Be prepared... you won't like the number.... but it is what it is. I've owned/built/restored over 35 cars in my day, and it wont matter what type of dealer you go to. The only difference is that there is a better chance that the car was properly serviced if you buy from an audi dealer.

One dealer may offer you more on trade, but it just means they will add more to the price of what they are selling. it will all work out the same in the end.

Edmunds TMV will tell you exactly what you should expect to get, and to pay.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ninefourteener
Dealers use the "Black book" which isn't available to consumers.
Large dealers use up-to-the-minute pricing from Manheim, which is the largest auto auction company in the US and has facilities throughout the country.

Small dealers use Black Book, which isn't real-time, and gets their weekly published values from Manheim.

I have access to Manheim because I have many clients who are auto dealers. The values I gave previously ($9000 wholesale/trade and $13,000 retail) are accurate and the very latest from Manheim.

I added that you could probably get more money by listing it on Auto Trader or Craigslist because these cars aren't easy to find.