A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Fuel door problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sadj2885
Anyone else experiencing an issue with the fuel door? Whenever i pull into a station the attendant cant open it. I press the unlock door button over and over an nothing, only thing that works is closing the doors locking the car with the key fob and unlocking them again with the key fob. Annoying as hell. I'm gonna have to take it in to get it looked at.
Where the heck do you live that has a gas attendant? Haven't seen one of those folks for years.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

They're still required in NJ and I know they were in Oregon at one time as well.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Anyone else experiencing an issue with the fuel door? Whenever i pull into a station the attendant cant open it. I press the unlock door button over and over an nothing, only thing that works is closing the doors locking the car with the key fob and unlocking them again with the key fob. Annoying as hell. I'm gonna have to take it in to get it looked at.
Just got a 2009 A4 and am having the exact same problem. The owner's manual says the fuel door should unlock when the doors are unlocked, but ours seems to only unlock with the key fob. It does NOT unlock with the driver's door unlock button. Ours has the advanced key feature, for what that is worth.

Has anyone figured out how to fix this issue?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThePiombino
Make sure the key is in the ignition and the car in in "P"
There are a couple of full serve only towns around me and I don't recall ever having to unlock the car to get the fuel door to release (unlocking the car sounds like a safety issue to me). I've just pulled up, shut the car off in park but left the key in the ignition. Taking the key out would open all doors and the fuel door as that is how I've set the car (unlock all). I know taking the key out works for me as the fuel door keeps opening when I hand wash the car. Something to keep an eye on though based on other posts here.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by zulujams
There are a couple of full serve only towns around me and I don't recall ever having to unlock the car to get the fuel door to release (unlocking the car sounds like a safety issue to me). I've just pulled up, shut the car off in park but left the key in the ignition. Taking the key out would open all doors and the fuel door as that is how I've set the car (unlock all). I know taking the key out works for me as the fuel door keeps opening when I hand wash the car. Something to keep an eye on though based on other posts here.
In our case we have the Advanced Key, so the key is never in the ignition. I also have the car set to Unlock All, and that works with the doors but not the fuel door. The beauty of the Advance Key is you can keep it in your briefcase or purse and never need to pull it out to unlock, lock or start your car. It seems to defeat the purpose to have to pull it out when you fill up with fuel. Even so, why wouldn't the unlock button on the driver's door work to unlock it?
Old 02-10-2012, 09:33 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, ok, I understand the problem more. Sorry I misinterpreted things. Sometimes a manual solution is so much easier. At least we have a lock. I'm amazed at how many cars out there still don't have a locking fuel door. Good luck advanced key users w/ this problem.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Fuel door

Had the same problem with the fuel door. At first I just cycled lock/unlock with the remote and checking each time until it opened. This is in Phoenix at a temperature of 65F so there was no freezing. Sprayed the locking device with WD40 and it now works for at least 4 months. It appears that the plunger needs a little lubrication.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Been having this issue very frequently lately. Glad I found this thread. I'll try living the lock and report back in a few weeks.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

I had that exact problem. Replaced the fuel door positioning motor. Their scan showed a code short to ground but that went with the new motor.