A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5

Passenger Airbag Light - OFF

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Airbag Light - OFF

If anyone is interested in a quick and easy way to blank-out the annoying "Passenger Airbag Off" amber/yellow light below the hazard switch, let me know and I'll post a short writeup.

Simple mod only took approx. 5 mins, and now that area of the dash is cleaner and less annoying at night. You still get the airbag off message on the mini in-dash display between the gauges, for those concerned about kids, pets, midgets, or small beings in general riding in the passenger seat.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B8aruba
If anyone is interested in a quick and easy way to blank-out the annoying "Passenger Airbag Off" amber/yellow light below the hazard switch, let me know and I'll post a short writeup.

Simple mod only took approx. 5 mins, and now that area of the dash is cleaner and less annoying at night. You still get the airbag off message on the mini in-dash display between the gauges, for those concerned about kids, pets, midgets, or small beings in general riding in the passenger seat.
This is funny. I was actually thinking lat night (for the first time since I've had the car) how ugly and inconsistent the ORANGE "Passenger Airbag Off" light is. I would LOVE a little write-up on this, thanks!
Old 05-12-2010, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

This simple mod only takes a few mins to complete, and is intended to be a simple and temporary fix for the annoying “Passenger Seatbelt Off” light on the B8 dash. I had thought about permanently disabling the LED on the circuit board, but didn’t want the liability if I go to sell the car someday. With this temporary fix, one can simply reverse the process and put the light back in visible use for legal reasons (despite the fact you still get the warning message on the in-dash display at every startup). I didn’t take any pictures, but I’m sure you guys can figure this one out without them:

Step 1. Gently remove the right side faux-aluminum dash trim pc that houses the emergency flasher switch assembly. Start with the pointed end on the lower left side. Move along the bottom and pry gently as you go with just your fingers. Once the bottom pops out, carefully tilt side/side and the top clips should release without much effort. Careful not to scratch the MMI display or other interior parts.

Step 2. Unplug the small wire harness from the emergency flasher switch assembly. This is done by pressing down on the classic plastic release tab near the connector. Once the tab is disengaged, the connector should pull out without much effort.

Step 3. For this next part, I recommend performing the switch removal on a workbench with a soft cover or towel down to protect the dash panel finish. Remove the emergency flasher switch assembly from the dash panel. The switch assembly is held in by two metal spring clips that are reusable and hold their shape well, so no need to pry them down or open. Simply push the switch assembly forward back through the mounting hole with your hand. Careful, as it may take flight in the process (another reason to do this on a workbench).

Step 4. Using a pick tool or micro flathead screwdriver, carefully pry-up the small U-tabs holding on the front cover of the light (the one below the emergency flasher button). It doesn’t take much force, so be gentle and take your time.

Step 5. Once the light cover is off, you’ll see there’s a clear volume insert that is used to direct light to the cover from the circuit board on the rear of the switch assembly. All you need to do is insert a small pc of black electrical tape inside the cover, between the clear insert and the cover (just large enough to block light from passing through the lettering).

Step 6. Reverse the process to re-assemble the dash.

Again, you’ll still get the airbag off notification on the in-dash display upon startup, but no more annoying light!
Old 05-13-2010, 04:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

This simple mod only takes a few mins to complete, and is intended to be a simple and temporary fix for the annoying “Passenger Seatbelt Off” light on the B8 dash. I had thought about permanently disabling the LED on the circuit board, but didn’t want the liability if I go to sell the car someday. With this temporary fix, one can simply reverse the process and put the light back in visible use for legal reasons (despite the fact you still get the warning message on the in-dash display at every startup). I didn’t take any pictures, but I’m sure you guys can figure this one out without them:

Step 1. Gently remove the right side faux-aluminum dash trim pc that houses the emergency flasher switch assembly. Start with the pointed end on the lower left side. Move along the bottom and pry gently as you go with just your fingers. Once the bottom pops out, carefully tilt side/side and the top clips should release without much effort. Careful not to scratch the MMI display or other interior parts.

Step 2. Unplug the small wire harness from the emergency flasher switch assembly. This is done by pressing down on the classic plastic release tab near the connector. Once the tab is disengaged, the connector should pull out without much effort.

Step 3. For this next part, I recommend performing the switch removal on a workbench with a soft cover or towel down to protect the dash panel finish. Remove the emergency flasher switch assembly from the dash panel. The switch assembly is held in by two metal spring clips that are reusable and hold their shape well, so no need to pry them down or open. Simply push the switch assembly forward back through the mounting hole with your hand. Careful, as it may take flight in the process (another reason to do this on a workbench).

Step 4. Using a pick tool or micro flathead screwdriver, carefully pry-up the small U-tabs holding on the front cover of the light (the one below the emergency flasher button). It doesn’t take much force, so be gentle and take your time.

Step 5. Once the light cover is off, you’ll see there’s a clear volume insert that is used to direct light to the cover from the circuit board on the rear of the switch assembly. All you need to do is insert a small pc of black electrical tape inside the cover, between the clear insert and the cover (just large enough to block light from passing through the lettering).

Again, you’ll still get the airbag off notification on the in-dash display upon startup, but no more annoying light!
Short and sweet- I like it. Thanks for the write-up!
Old 05-13-2010, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ThePiombino
Short and sweet- I like it. Thanks for the write-up!
No problem. It's a small mod, but worth the effort. Granted some other folks have no doubt come up with other fixes by now, but this one is simple and reversible.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Excellent tip -- took all of 5 minutes for me to complete on my new A5.

Greatly appreciated, as the orange glow of that light was bothering me to no end.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Thank you!

I'm a brand new A5 owner and this was one of the things that is annoying me. I'll be making the mod this weekend. Thanks very much for the tip.

This simple mod only takes a few mins to complete...<snip>
Old 02-15-2012, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Welcome... and congrats on the A5 purchase. One of the sexiest looking Audi's ever made, imo. Best of luck and don't hesitate to post or IM if you run into any snags or have questions. It's been awhile since I've posted on this site, but always available in the background.