S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Noise from front left wheel/suspension ?? common problem ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noise from front left wheel/suspension ?? common problem ?

I wonder if you experience same or at least you hear about it.

When I drive I hear following sounds coming from front left wheel:

- wompwompwomp sound
- Its a bit of a 'thump'. It is pretty quiet, and I don't feel it in the steering or brakes. I have to get off the gas and have no music on to hear it. It seems quite consistent though the front can heard constant howling, or droning, or a scraping noise, hard to explain

These are new wheels, new tires, had the same problem on old tires and wheels and thought that was the issue.

The problem is NOT with:
- not tires, new Contintental DWS 255/35 19"
- wheel/tyre balance/out-of-round problem had that checked
- even swapped front with rear wheels
- not bearing as it was checked, plus I have that noise for quite sometime, bearing usually get worse with time..

I found this but don't have details, anybody can get that information ?? how do you get the TSB case details ?:

"- 2010 Audi S4 Power Train Service Bulletin 328790
NHTSA: Action Number: 10043562 Service Bulletin Number: 328790
Report Date:
Feb 21, 2012 Component:
Power Train
Summary: Audi: when vehicle is at constant speed or is accelerating, from the front can heard constant howling, or droning, or a scraping noise"

Anybody suggestion would be appreciated ? THank you !
Old 07-31-2013, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Only a couple threads down:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2850854
Old 08-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am having a similiar issue. Jittering, scrapping, wobbling type of noise, very faint but consistent. Audi has replaced the sway bar links and wheel bearing on two separate visits. Seems better but the noise still persists. They are saying it is a defective front left brake pad. There is a metal bracket on the back of the pad the is supposed to flex and apparently it is wobbling as I drive. I have noticed that if I gently apply the brake while the car is rolling the noise stops and then returns when I release the brake. I replaced all the pads with hawk performance ceramic. The noise started after i replaced the pads. I have used the pads on previous cars and love them. On the Audi they have very little brake dust compared to stock. I just contacted hawk and am working with them to get replacements. Hoping that fixes the issue. It's been driving me nuts for months.

Keep us posted on your progress and if you find the TSB details. Good luck.
Old 09-05-2013, 05:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rav6370
I am having a similiar issue. Jittering, scrapping, wobbling type of noise, very faint but consistent. Audi has replaced the sway bar links and wheel bearing on two separate visits. Seems better but the noise still persists. They are saying it is a defective front left brake pad. There is a metal bracket on the back of the pad the is supposed to flex and apparently it is wobbling as I drive. I have noticed that if I gently apply the brake while the car is rolling the noise stops and then returns when I release the brake. I replaced all the pads with hawk performance ceramic. The noise started after i replaced the pads. I have used the pads on previous cars and love them. On the Audi they have very little brake dust compared to stock. I just contacted hawk and am working with them to get replacements. Hoping that fixes the issue. It's been driving me nuts for months.

Keep us posted on your progress and if you find the TSB details. Good luck.
So Hawk sent me replacements pads with no issues. They checked and they did not have any reports of the pads on this car causing this problem with others that installed them. I am holding on to them and will take them to the dealer for my 25k which is approaching.

The noise is back and consistent on slightly imperfect roads. When I tap the brake it completely stops. The pads have no metal brackets and so I am not confident that swapping out the pads will fix the issue. I think something is defective with the bracket and will ask them to change that first. Keep you all posted.

Does anyone have Hawk performance ceramic pads installed??
Old 04-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rav6370
So Hawk sent me replacements pads with no issues. They checked and they did not have any reports of the pads on this car causing this problem with others that installed them. I am holding on to them and will take them to the dealer for my 25k which is approaching.

The noise is back and consistent on slightly imperfect roads. When I tap the brake it completely stops. The pads have no metal brackets and so I am not confident that swapping out the pads will fix the issue. I think something is defective with the bracket and will ask them to change that first. Keep you all posted.

Does anyone have Hawk performance ceramic pads installed??
Late update but wanted to get back to the group. So turns out the one Hawk pad was defective. It had a bracket on it that should have some play but it was wobbling on the pad. As soon as they swapped out the front pads the noises are gone. Hope that helps. Love the pads!!!

Last edited by rav6370; 04-20-2014 at 06:07 AM.