S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi Drive Select and Adaptive Dampening Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Drive Select and Adaptive Dampening Suspension

I'm sure this question has been asked, but maybe not. What is the point of the drive select button on the dash if the vehicle doesnt have adaptive dampening suspension? Or am I mistaken here and are they one in the same? Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Posted this in another forum to a similar question.

In short Audi Drive Select is a system that allows adjustment of the dynamics for the various subsystems in your car from comfort to auto to dynamic. The question is which subsystems is your car equipped with. On a 6MT base model, the subsystems that ADS adjusts are steering torque and throttle response. If you have an automatic or s-tronic transmission, then ADS also adjusts the transmission shift points and shift speeds. If you add the optional sport diff, ADS adjusts the agility and stability of the car. If you add adaptive suspension, then ADS adjusts the suspension stiffness and if you add the Driver Assist package, ADS adjusts the steering ratio and the aggressiveness of the adaptive cruise control. If you leave out any of the potential subsystems that ADS can adjust, then that part is simply disabled in your car.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 93 Likes on 43 Posts

This is the most concise and understandable explanation of ADS I've seen.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by superswiss

In short Audi Drive Select is a system that allows adjustment of the dynamics for the various subsystems in your car from comfort to auto to dynamic. The question is which subsystems is your car equipped with. On a 6MT base model, the subsystems that ADS adjusts are steering torque and throttle response. If you have an automatic or s-tronic transmission, then ADS also adjusts the transmission shift points and shift speeds. If you add the optional sport diff, ADS adjusts the agility and stability of the car. If you add adaptive suspension, then ADS adjusts the suspension stiffness and if you add the Driver Assist package, ADS adjusts the steering ratio and the aggressiveness of the adaptive cruise control. If you leave out any of the potential subsystems that ADS can adjust, then that part is simply disabled in your car.
I have a 2010 6MT with ADS, & Sport Diff. I agree with most of what you posted but the shock stiffness ALSO adjusts based on how and what you select. I use the Comfort setting on long trips over less than perfect roads and it is a big improvement over the Auto or Dynamic settings. Please don't tell me I am nuts! I have had 15 Audi's and other hi perf cars and I can tell the difference in stiffness. What do you think I am experiencing?
Old 04-15-2014, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss

If you add adaptive suspension, then ADS adjusts the suspension stiffness
Originally Posted by ninjajack
I have a 2010 6MT with ADS, & Sport Diff. I agree with most of what you posted but the shock stiffness ALSO adjusts based on how and what you select. I use the Comfort setting on long trips over less than perfect roads and it is a big improvement over the Auto or Dynamic settings. Please don't tell me I am nuts! I have had 15 Audi's and other hi perf cars and I can tell the difference in stiffness. What do you think I am experiencing?
He did mention the shock stiffness being affected
Old 04-16-2014, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you don't have the adaptive dampening option I don't think shocks / suspension are adjusted. That is the point of the adaptive dampening option. So I would suggest you either have adaptive suspension or there is some type of placebo effect resulting from the other settings being adjusted, such as stiffer steering and SD. If you don't have adaptive suspension perhaps you can drive a car with it to see if you feel a difference.

If you have adaptive suspension, the ADS screen should show "suspension" in addition to "sport differential" where you can customize settings.
Old 04-16-2014, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by chides64
I'm sure this question has been asked, but maybe not. What is the point of the drive select button on the dash if the vehicle doesnt have adaptive dampening suspension? Or am I mistaken here and are they one in the same? Thanks for the advice.

Its posted in this thread... ADS is just one subsystem that is controlled...