A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Transmission Issues on 2.4L V6 (A6 C5 2001)

Old 12-29-2013, 03:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Issues on 2.4L V6 (A6 C5 2001)

Hi Guys,

Heres my problem (not really sure if it is):

1. While driving in Automatic mode, when the car shifts from 2nd gear to 3rd gear, the rpm drops from 2000rpm to 1200rpm (it seems like a large dip in rpm when shifting from 2nd to 3rd)

2. When slowing down in an intersection, whenever the car downshifts from 3rd gear to 2nd gear, theres a sudden jolt coming from the transmission (the jolt isnt that bad, but i can feel it downshifting)

The trans isnt as smooth as it used to be.

I had the transmission serviced a few months ago; new oil and new filter. I'm sure my woes are all related to this.

I am able to ascertain the gears because when it happens i shift to tiptronic just to see which gear caused the jolt and the rpm loss.

The transmission works really good, the car is still pretty fast; im only encountering those 2 issues...

Any ideas? Has anyone encountered the same thing?

(unfortunately i havent bought myself a scanner yet, but im planning to buy one soon)
Old 12-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Who serviced the trans? What was done? Have you checked the fluid level since?
Old 12-29-2013, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had my it done back in November 2013 at my local trusted indy; the car has 90k km mileage and i only had the fluid and filter changed.

During that time i also had the engine oil changed, brake fluid change, coolant change; all my normal yearly maintenance on my cars
Old 12-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Tech Guru

Definitely check the fluid level.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pbriones
I had my it done back in November 2013 at my local trusted indy; the car has 90k km mileage and i only had the fluid and filter changed...
Euro huh! You want to find out how trustworthy your indy is? Check oil like 4Driver4 mentioned. Follow manual. Check for codes before opening.

(I am writing this off as another abuse case).

Last edited by tester123; 12-29-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:06 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was there in the garage when the oil was replaced, i bought ATF from the audi dealer

The mechanic is a family friend and i usually stick around when they service all of my cars... (thinking that maybe someday i might be able to service my cars myself )

Happy New Year!
Old 12-30-2013, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was there in the garage when the oil was replaced, i bought ATF from the audi dealer

The mechanic is a family friend and i usually stick around when they service all of my cars... (thinking that maybe someday i might be able to service my cars myself )

Happy New Year!
Well, I could be wrong then. The oil fill procedure is tricky and has to be done @right temp for proper level. Not sure if you observed all that detail. On the flip side, there may be something else wrong.
Any way, goos luck and Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2013, 03:50 AM
Tech Guru

Happy New Year!
Well, you can put up with the problem or you can do some basic diagnostics. The very first step would be to pull codes and check fluid level.

No disrespect to your beloved tech, but things change. Check the fluid level.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

So you waited around for many hours while the ATF was drained, the pan dropped and cleaned, the filter replaced, the pan reinstalled and the ATF filled. Then engine was started, trans cycled through all gears, ATF filled to overflow, trans cycled again, and all of this while ATF temperature was being monitored not to exceed 40C? Patient divil aren't you?
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
So you waited around for many hours while the ATF was drained, the pan dropped and cleaned, the filter replaced, the pan reinstalled and the ATF filled. Then engine was started, trans cycled through all gears, ATF filled to overflow, trans cycled again, and all of this while ATF temperature was being monitored not to exceed 40C? Patient divil aren't you?
Dude it takes like an hour and a half at most. Get real seriously. Just because it takes you hours and hours doesn't mean people who actually do it for a living take that long. And You guys are high if you like the petty half a quart the temperature range makes will alter transmission shifts like hes describing. These things can be 2 quarts low and operate nearly the same.

If you actually read the directions about how to service these, they state do not check or add if fluid is higher than 104F because its MUCH worse to underfill than overfill obviously, And being that iv done like, hundreds of these trans services over many years with no issues and smooth great shifts, they take a hair under 6 quarts of fluid. the length of time it takes to pump the remaining 2-3 quarts in while its running easliy makes it above being stone cold.no where does it say it HAS to be right AT 104F to check level, it cant be HIGHER than 104F to do it for risk of underfill. If you wait till the 104F temp, its takes like 5.5 quarts instead of 5.8 lol.... wow big deal especially when its capacity is almost 10 quarts total. that whole .3 of a quart will just ruin it....insert eyeroll here...

Last edited by Prospeeder; 01-01-2014 at 12:17 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission Issues on 2.4L V6 (A6 C5 2001)